Download Errors

paddler

I have been downloading and installing ORBX scenery on my new P3D V3.2 and Win 10 system. Most have been very simple and straight forward. There is the odd one such as KSTS Sonoma which on many download attempts consistently is corrupted. As most of the 50 plus work well I doubt that this is a FSS or Internet Download Manager fault. Can anyone shed a light on this continuing problem? Thanks in advance.

Hi Paddler, same thing here. Bought Redding, Monterey and Sonoma together a couple days ago. Redding and Monterey fine, no problem, looking great ! All i get from unzipping Sonoma is "CRC check failed" . Using Winzip 19.0 Pro and Internet Download Manager. Opened a ticket at the FlightsimStore. Got a message saying they recommend 7-zip. Installed that, same thing, "CRC check failed". 'OrbxFTXNAKSTS100.zp' is deffinately corrupted. 

I have told the FSStore that 7-zip can't open the Sonoma zip neither. I'll keep you posted about their reply. ( you might want to open a ticket at the FSStore yourself, Rick ?...)

Cheers,

Jan

More than likely errors such as this come as a result of caching at ISPs.  Once a corrupted copy of a file is stored or cached at your ISP the download will continue to access that copy.  ISP store local copies of downloaded files because any request for that same file don't incur download costs for them.  So, until the cached copy is replaced (most caches only last 48 hours as I understand it) any downloads will have the same error.

If there's an alternative way to get hold of the file (another ISP, work computer etc) that might be the best way to get around the problem.  Or you could ask your ISP to delete their cached copy... if they even know how to do that!

Jarvis and John,

Thanks for your replies.

Jarvis please let me know what answer you get from your ticket with FSS. I will also start a ticket with the. John, some of my attempts to re-download have been longer apart than 48 hours. I have also tried to make sure that any previous downloads have been removed from my computer, but of course I have probably missed some files in obscure (to me) locations. 

Rick, just got this message on my desktop :  " The FTX US KSTS Sonoma County Regional 1.00 installation is complete. "

Well, finally then... Dunno if it's the 48 hour clausule ( thanks John ) or if FSStore replaced the file but i just tried a new download and the files installed fine finally. If it's the latter, FSStore didn't tell me about it. Didn't get any reply after they told me to use 7-zip...  Oh, well.. 

Cheers,

Jan

I can guarantee 100% that the problems with the FSS files being slow or corrupted for some users is something in the web after the file leaves FSS.

Unfortunately we have to rely on a whole range of switch points servers caches ISPs etc to transfer files, if just one little part holds up or corrupts a file then the rest of the system, as fast as it might be, is of no practical use.

Thanks, John. Fully understand of course. IIRC it's the first time for me something like this happens with an Orbx scenery and i have downloaded lots over the years. A bit irritating at first, naturally, but afterall just a sigh in the prop wash... ;-)

cheers,

jan

Jarvis, great news for you. I have not heard back from FSS. But my ISP has advised that I am over my data limit until the 9 April so I will wait to re-download one more time.

John, I agree, there is no way that this is a FSS file problem, I just sought there advice on a work around. As I own almost everything ORBX you know the number of files that downloaded correctly and installed flawlessly (twice as I made an error in installing P3D the first time and wanted a clean re-install). I am very curious as to why this one download repeatedly was corrupted. Yes some downloads were within a short time period following the previous, but some were a few days later.

I will advise when I am successful. Thanks again for your help.

Archived