AYPY Missing ALL bush airstrips

jlindblo

I just purchased and installed AYPY (Jacksons. Papua New Guinea) but all 10 of the back country bush airstrips are missing .... that is, they don't show up when I attempt to fly from Jacksons to one of them, and Jackson's is rendered correctly. I used Orbx's supplied Google Earth kmz to find the airstrips but none can be found!! I installed the latest libraries, no help ... I then reinstalled AYPY .... no help.  Reading Orbx's description it says that 10 airstrips are provided?   I just don't know how to find them.  HELP!  

jIM

Don't panic Jim,

step1 fly to Kokoda

step 2 using the map provided in the user guide, You will see indicated on the map the Kokoda track, I recommend a chopper or something slow but with plenty of grunt, bird dog 185 etc.

step3 follow the Kokoda track back up the mountain you just crossed, you will see it clearly, stick close and keep it visual, you will see some small villages and the Isurava memorial 1st, keep following the track and it will lead you past some small villages and eventually, Kagi, from here there's several strips all within spitting distance, Efogi is probably the easiest and has the largest village, further out there is Boridi, Melie, and Manari. All are somewhat more dangerous than the Tapini pack and do not have codes for the GPS, these are all local knowledge small bush strips, they are real just not big enough for codes.

Hope this helps, I'm looking forward to seeing some great videos from you, thanks for purchasing AYPY.

cheers

Ken

7 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Don't panic Jim,

step1 fly to Kokoda

step 2 using the map provided in the user guide, You will see indicated on the map the Kokoda track, I recommend a chopper or something slow but with plenty of grunt, bird dog 185 etc.

step3 follow the Kokoda track back up the mountain you just crossed, you will see it clearly, stick close and keep it visual, you will see some small villages and the Isurava memorial 1st, keep following the track and it will lead you past some small villages and eventually, Kagi, from here there's several strips all within spitting distance, Efogi is probably the easiest and has the largest village, further out there is Boridi, Melie, and Manari. All are somewhat more dangerous than the Tapini pack and do not have codes for the GPS, these are all local knowledge small bush strips, they are real just not big enough for codes.

Hope this helps, I'm looking forward to seeing some great videos from you, thanks for purchasing AYPY.

cheers

Ken

Ken,  Ahh .... now I've got it.  We Americans are slow learners ...  As I thought about it last night laying bed I surmised they have to be there if Jackson's International is present!!  I had just looked in FSX's Flight Planner and they were all "no shows" and assumed I had done something wrong.  I had not really gone out and looked visually.   Sooo .... it must be "Dead Reckoning" and with your kmz link it would be easy to do a "from here to there" compass direction? !!  Yes ... looking forward to flying the strips if Winter will just hold on a little longer. When Spring hits .... it's all yard work and prepping for vacation.  I think my Kodiak Quest should be the perfect aircraft.  A Helio probably if you could find one but I haven't seen any that's well modeled. Thanks for the quick comeback.

3 hours ago, jlindblo said:

Ken,  Ahh .... now I've got it.  We Americans are slow learners ...  As I thought about it last night laying bed I surmised they have to be there if Jackson's International is present!!  I had just looked in FSX's Flight Planner and they were all "no shows" and assumed I had done something wrong.  I had not really gone out and looked visually.   Sooo .... it must be "Dead Reckoning" and with your kmz link it would be easy to do a "from here to there" compass direction? !!  Yes ... looking forward to flying the strips if Winter will just hold on a little longer. When Spring hits .... it's all yard work and prepping for vacation.  I think my Kodiak Quest should be the perfect aircraft.  A Helio probably if you could find one but I haven't seen any that's well modeled. Thanks for the quick comeback.

Jim,  Please let us know how that Kodiak works out.  Personally, I use FSD's Pilatus Porter and it works fine.

7 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

im,  Please let us know how that Kodiak works out.  Personally, I use FSD's Pilatus Porter and it works fine.

Stewart, I think the Pilatus would work great .....  mine has been acting up and I need to troubleshoot it.   But I'll be creating some video clips and will start off with the Quest Kodiak.  I would like to find some appropriate repaints that look more realistic from the outside but have only found a few ... which I may use anyway even if Florida is pasted on the outside. Quest's outside has no contrast or flaws .... all flat and bright white.

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Acting up how, if I may ask?

Stewart .....  I have been moving my favorite airplanes to my new system and it hasn't been pretty with Pilatus.  I need to revisit and see if Support has some help ... just have not gotten back to it yet.  I think about half the instruments were missing but I did go through the correct install procedures ...  maybe the second time ...

When he says "follow the Kokoda Trail"  he means it. It's IFR - I follow roads... The track is clearly visible as it winds south east. If you stay above it, you will find the villages.  Jim, have you tried Tim (Piglet) Conrad's Porter ? It's a great freebie. His planes are payware quality.  http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=45816946

Sue

3 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

When he says "follow the Kokoda Trail"  he means it. It's IFR - I follow roads... The track is clearly visible as it winds south east. If you stay above it, you will find the villages.  Jim, have you tried Tim (Piglet) Conrad's Porter ? It's a great freebie. His planes are payware quality.  http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=45816946

Sue

I started out with Conrad's Porter, but didn't find it satisfying.  It's ok for short hops, but longer trips (<1 hr. btw) without an autopilot and I got tired of that. 

Jim, I have occasionally had a problem with the gauges with the FSD Pilatus, but a reload of the aircraft has solved it.  And in case you didn't know, the Porter doesn't play well with DX10, which I use 99% of the time except when I'm flying the Porter.  Maybe that's the problem.

So install an autopilot.    it's not that hard to do. Just takes adding a few lines to the panel.cfg, and changing the autopilot available entry in the aircraft.cfg.

For instance - add Window 02=Autopilot  to Window list in panel.cfg, and - voila ! Copy and paste this into your panel.cfg... it will be a pop-up.

(To make it real easy, I attached my panel .cfg, just drop it in the Porter panel folder. Remember to change the autopilot available entry )

[Window02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=100,67
window_size_ratio=1.000  
position=0
visible=0
ident=Auto Pilot
window_size= 0.500, 0.500
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge01=Bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,  1,1,98,19

panel.cfg

2 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

So install an autopilot.    it's not that hard to do. Just takes adding a few lines to the panel.cfg, and changing the autopilot available entry in the aircraft.cfg.

For instance - add Window 02=Autopilot  to Window list in panel.cfg, and - voila ! Copy and paste this into your panel.cfg... it will be a pop-up.

(To make it real easy, I attached my panel .cfg, just drop it in the Porter panel folder. Remember to change the autopilot available entry )

[Window02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=100,67
window_size_ratio=1.000  
position=0
visible=0
ident=Auto Pilot
window_size= 0.500, 0.500
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge01=Bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,  1,1,98,19

panel.cfg

Well, thank you, Sue!  I'll try it and see.  But to be honest, there are several features with FSD's version I prefer over the other, namely a version with pontoons.  But that's another story...

Archived