SCA: 65CN and 68CN same airport?

B77X

Just purchased SCA. Went through with the Flight1 AFX program like I always do to check for duplicate afcad files and other errors

Noticed 65CN and 68CN bgl files are both listed as 68CN airport. Which one is right?

Hi there,

good catch regarding 65CN and 68CN; looks like a mix-up indeed. Thanks for the heads-up, I've put that on the to-do list for a service pack.

The way the AEC tool works is that it scans all active scenery folders for duplicate airports for which Vector itself has changed the default elevation (i.e., all airports in the \FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_AEC\scenery). It then deactivates the Vector version unless the change in altitude happens to be the same, which is the case for the files in your list. For example, both SCA and Vector have changed the KBUR elevation from the default 780ft to 721ft and thus there's no conflict.

It's that pesky airport reference elevation, which is the only element of airport facilities that cannot be excluded or overwritten. Duplicate airport files in itself are not a problem, just like multiple layers of landscape files or scenery objects aren't a problem, provided the proper exclusions are in place. If you look at the XML source code of airport files you'll see that they all start with a block of excludes, which ensures that only the top-layered airport is displayed by the terrain engine.

I realize that there are people who like to remove all traces of duplicate airports, and they are free to do so. However, there's no technical reason why that needs to happen unless there's a discrepancy in the airport reference altitude or the third-party airport add-on doesn't have a complete set of excludes (which all developers should provide and, in fact, ADE, does by default).

Cheers, Holger 

4 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

good catch regarding 65CN and 68CN; looks like a mix-up indeed. Thanks for the heads-up, I've put that on the to-do list for a service pack.

The way the AEC tool works is that it scans all active scenery folders for duplicate airports for which Vector itself has changed the default elevation (i.e., all airports in the \FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_AEC\scenery). It then deactivates the Vector version unless the change in altitude happens to be the same, which is the case for the files in your list. For example, both SCA and Vector have changed the KBUR elevation from the default 780ft to 721ft and thus there's no conflict.

It's that pesky airport reference elevation, which is the only element of airport facilities that cannot be excluded or overwritten. Duplicate airport files in itself are not a problem, just like multiple layers of landscape files or scenery objects aren't a problem, provided the proper exclusions are in place. If you look at the XML source code of airport files you'll see that they all start with a block of excludes, which ensures that only the top-layered airport is displayed by the terrain engine.

I realize that there are people who like to remove all traces of duplicate airports, and they are free to do so. However, there's no technical reason why that needs to happen unless there's a discrepancy in the airport reference altitude or the third-party airport add-on doesn't have a complete set of excludes (which all developers should provide and, in fact, ADE, does by default).

Cheers, Holger 

The AEC tool should find all Orbx regional airports and disable the AEC afcads and elevations for those airports, since Orbx regions don't need the AEC files adjusting the elevations. It's not just a personal preference if you have 2 or more afcad files you see conflicting buildings and (maybe not in this case but in others) different elevation issues. I am also convinced duplicate afcads leads to out of memory and problems with other addons like the raas program and AI traffic. I have solved many crashing problems by removing duplicate afcad files, of course this could just be a placebo and I'm not an expert at all.

• 6 months later...
On 3/18/2016 at 0:28 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

Cheers, Holger 

Holger since the afcad files for 65CN and 68CN are both for the airport 68CN, can you provide correct afcad files for 65CN since a patch is still not out? Thank you.

1 hour ago, Handie said:

Hello,

65CN and 68CN are not the same airports :rolleyes:

68CN = Porter Ranch Airport Kennedy Meadows, California, USA

65CN = Bottimore Ranch Airport Herald, California, USA

I know that. But the afcad files for both SCA airports are coded for the same airport in error.

Archived