Devil's Tower & Monument Valley - minus the tower or monuments

Brendan_

Okay. I give up. I'm vexed. I'm terribly vexed. I have lost the buttes in Monument Valley and the tower from Devil's tower. I have searched the other postings in this forum that have experienced similar issues - and tried the suggestions offered - to no avail. They were just there! A few weeks ago! I promise. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both sceneries (and updating to the latest libraries). As this (seems) to be an Objectflow issue, I've tried using ModuleInstaller to re-add Objectflow to dll.xml (yes, as the administrator). It (correctly) asked me if I should "trust" it (again and again, as I've tried to get this working for about 4 hours now). I've verified dll.xml has the correct syntax and Objectflow.dll is not disabled, nor set to manual loading. I've deleted dll.xml and fsx.cfg and let the computer build new ones. I've tried applying and reapplying the region in FTXCentral v2, switching regions, applying THEM, and switching back and applying. I added FTXCentral (v2) to the list of allowed applications in Windows Firewall. I use Kaspersky, but disabled it from the start in the off (and unlikely) chance it was interfering with something. I don't have any other payware or even freeware that is installed anywhere near either of these airports that could be interfering with them - and, as I said... They were JUST working! I flew through Monument Valley less than 2 weeks ago! The only airport that I've installed since is the Heron's Nest, which does add viva.dll to dll.xml - but regardless of what I do (yes, I tried not loading viva.dll to see if that would make a difference - it did not) all I see is... well... everything BUT the entire point of buying the scenery in the first place - I didn't pay money to be able to stare at a parking lot full of cars next to... well... a Monument-less Valley. It is true that Devil's Tower is freeware, but the sentiment still applies. Anyway... I'm out of things to try, I'm bummed, and I'm open to suggestions. Please help me. I want my mountains (buttes/tower/whatever) back.

Purchased through The FlightSim Store

Order Number: FSS0344984
Order Date: 2015-01-03

Devil's Tower.jpg

Monument Valley.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penzoil3,

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried doing that once already, but I suppose a second time around couldn't hurt. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offer me help. I'll let you know the results.

Penzoil3,

I'm sad to report the problem persists in spite of a complete reinstall of both the scenery and the Orbxlib. I'm so perplexed. For everyone else, making sure Objectflow.dll was in dll.xml fixed the problem for them. Not for me. Any other suggestions anybody?

Jmbii/Penzoil3,

Thank you both for your suggestions. Both good ideas. I tried re-downloading from this site and FSS. Reinstalling and then (re)adding the latest library files. I also checked my Kaspersky quarantine folder (great idea I hadn't thought of). No luck. This is so weird. I've never experienced a problem with ANY ORBX product I couldn't resolve by a quick glance through these forums or careful and methodical re-installation of the affected scenery. I'm completely stumped. I did, however, notice a NEW library released just today. I'll install that and see if it makes a difference. Any suggestions about the best method of library updating? Download and install the file manually, or let FTXCentral v2 do it for me?

Okay... tried downloading the newest library file (uploaded today) and tried installing to see if it would make any difference. It did not. Any official comment on this (and related threads still marked "active") from ORBX staff? I'm awfully curious. The only thing I can even *think* of at this point, is my computer has had several Windows "updates" in the past few weeks, though I don't see how that could affect Objectflow.dll (still the main culprit I feel). Is there anything that I can do to verify that Objectflow.dll is still functioning normally? Is there anything that can interfere with this dynamic link library file and it's normal operation in FSX? I'm running plain old FSX, w/ acceleration - NOT SE edition. Anybody from ORBX care to make any suggestions?

Hi Brendan,

I feel your frustration but don't have a specific answer to your missing terrain elements (monuments, buttes, Devils Tower),  there are still some things you can try.

While I don't have Monument Valley I do have the Orbx Freeware FSDT running under FSX Deluxe Gold, I have the rock tower present in my sim, objectflow elements working perfectly. Your issue does seem related to objectflow not registering in the correct way, as these elements rely upon Orbx's Objectflow.dll being properly activated. Yes I know you have already run Moduleinstaller.exe as admin and checked the dll.xml entries and trusted the objectflow.dll's but this is quite different to having full read/write control over your sim folders & files.

Perhaps this problem might be due to your Windows User Account if you installed from a limited account, or an incomplete access to Full Administrative permissions in your Admin User account over your FSX:MS installation folder. (Hope you don't have FSX installed into the Windows OS Program Files, or Program Files (x86) protected folders).

You can give your FSX install full permissions by going to the FSX installation folder (not inside this folder)  > right mouse click > open properties tab > remove the blue highlight from Read only attribute box  > click apply > let attrib change dialog run, for all Folders Subfolders and files > once complete click OK, this will give you full admin permissions over your FSX installation folders and files that need full read / write capabilities to core files within the sim. You should then re-apply the Moduleinstaller.exe (right click run as Admin)

You could then go into your FTXCentral and re apply the FTXGlobal group and Hybrid checkbox if you have any regions installed. Restart the sim and see how it looks. hope that brings about positive results for you, it might even rectify your Monument valley issues as well.

There may also be some jewels of information contained within these 2 topics below if you have not already discovered them, since they seem to relate to your issue in a similar way.

Here is a pic from my sim Orbx FSDT as of 17/03/2016

473ac973d438d0a9f51f0b1d5dc56cf7.jpg

Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long and informative post in response to my dilemma. I tried your suggestions - but no luck. I've already reviewed the posts you included, and tried the suggestions made in them, as it seems like we have the same problem... unfortunately they didn't help. I hadn't thought to check out Yosemite to see if it was similarly affected, though I will later today. I'm stumped.

Hmmmmm........so, the first thing that came to my mind when reading this was a competing .bgl file. I use MT6 for my AI traffic, since it's P3D compatible, and it has a big 'ole scenery folder full of stuff I never really asked for, but got anyways :P Since I'm happy with the program itself, I just make sure to check for .bgl files in the MT6 scenery folder whenever I get a new airport/scenery. It tends to be the offender more often than not. So I thought maybe you had some other scenery that had some files for that area that could be interfering. But, you said it was fine a few weeks ago, so probably not. I had an issue myself suddenly pop up the past few weeks, out of nowhere. Strange thing, it was fine for the year or so I had it, then suddenly past  few weeks "poof". The issue hasn't been resolved, but it's completely different from yours, so will not help either.

However, your issue sounds close to the strange problem I have with a single airport. Orbx's KRDD Redding. Whenever I go there, all the buildings and tower are missing. Everything else is there, but not the big stuff.....it's just gone. What fixes it for me (I have to do this repeatedly) is to move it to the top of the list of ORBX stuff in the scenery library. Then everything is there again, and all is well. Of course, the next time I launch FTX Central, it places it back where it's told it's supposed to be, so I'll have to move it again when I go there. But, it gets things working.

I don't know if it will get things working for you, but it's at least worth a try. So go to the scenery library in sim, see if you can find the Devils Tower file (whatever it's name might be), and move it up. Maybe it'll be like Redding is for me, and bring back the tall stuff. Hope you get things working. Good luck.

Captain Z,

That's a great idea. I'll give it a try. I'm fairly computer savvy, but I didn't even think to change the order and put it at the top of the list. Forest from the trees I guess... I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks for the long post... I enjoy a challenge every now and then, but this one is beyond me - I'm very thankful to have an entire forum of like-minded folks to help me through this. Flight simming is made so much better by the people who support each other and enhance this hobby by their creations. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Captain Z,

Sorry for the delay. Real life intruded. I've tried pushing yosemite, Monument valley, and Devil's tower to places 1,2 and 3, (respectively) in the scenery order. Nothing. No monuments, towers, or half dome. Any other suggestions?

Hello Brendan,

It seems that "objectflow.dll" is not working in your installation for some reason, which by all attempts/efforts so far, as not yielded positive results. If one of the developers or Ben McClintock could view your FTXCentral diagnostic report that might indicate where the problem might be.

3 hours ago, Brendan_ said:

Captain Z,

Sorry for the delay. Real life intruded. I've tried pushing yosemite, Monument valley, and Devil's tower to places 1,2 and 3, (respectively) in the scenery order. Nothing. No monuments, towers, or half dome. Any other suggestions?

Sorry that didn't work for you. I may have one more thing you can try. I've been dealing with a couple problems myself. For one, Global areas wouldn't show winter textures, although the airports were more than happy to. As we've moved into spring, it's less of an issue, but it will come around again by years end. The other issue was strange textures mixed into the landscape, in both global and region areas. Now, although these are not the same as your problem, they did share one point in that they suddenly appeared in the past month or so, whereas they've been working fine for well over a year.

I was browsing through this forum, reading about other peoples problems, in hopes of learning something and getting some fresh ideas on troubleshooting fixes. I came across a thread about scenery placement, and it discussed a feature of FTX Central called scenery library insertion points. It was something I didn't know the new FTX central had, and decided I should check it out. In the thread they showed where the proper placement of all the orbx items should be, so I compared it with mine, and everything was in the right spot.....with one exception. Although the little orange FTX and blue OTC were in the right spot on the list, instead of FTX being on top of OTC, it was the other way around (OTC, then FTX). I double checked the examples in the thread, and all of them had FTX, then OTC. So I flipped them, started up the sim, and all my texture woes the world over disappeared.

My winter problem is still active, but it won't stop me from flying for a good few months. But the texture problem was "game breaking"  for me, so the fix got me up and flying again. Now, I want to reiterate that everything was working with no problems until a month or so ago. I believe that means the FTX and OTC in the FTX library insertion point editor were in the right spot until then. Then, without my intervention, FTX Central suddenly flipped them for some reason. I certainly didn't, as I didn't know the insertion point thing existed in the new FTX Central until a couple days ago. If it happened to me, there's the possibility it happened to other people without their knowledge as well. Simply flipping the FTX and OTC back to the proper order fixed all the texture issues that suddenly appeared in global, regions, and airports for me.

So, maybe.....just maybe, it's happened to you too. I suppose it's a small chance, but it fixed my texture problems that suddenly appeared, so maybe.

Here's the post showing the order -

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/111777-scenery-library-insertion-point/

It's a long shot, but better than nothing. If this doesn't help, I hope you find the answer to your problem soon. Good luck.

Captain Z, Penzoil, Jeff, jmbiii,

You've all been such a great help to me, but unfortunately the last suggestion didn't work. I checked the order, and mine matches the post link you provided. I don't know how to run an FTXCentral diagnostic report, and, even if I did, I haven't seen any interest from the FTX staff on this post. I guess I just have to live with it. I only paid for Monument Valley... Devil's Tower and Yosemite are both freeware. Thanks everybody for all your great suggestions! You guys took the time to read my post, and respond with lengthy, well-thought out suggestions. I appreciated it.

If you are using Windows 10 then I think the last update KB3140741 could be the cause of all the problems if you look at my post I have spent a lot of time on this issue and there is plenty more people with different issues but it comes down to that last update.

Richard,

I'm so sorry to ask a dumb question... but what's a definitive way to test objectflow with other sceneries? I only vaguely understand it's function, as regards to animation and etc. Do I load up another airport, and if there's no people walking around - it's not working?

Jock7,

I (only) use Windows 7 64 bit. I've suspected that the initial cause may lie in some un(wanted)known Windows "update"... but honestly, every other week, Windows has a number of useless updates (most geared toward annoying the crap out of me and getting me to update to Windows 10). There's been so many over the last month, I wouldn't know where to begin. I looked for the update you listed (just in case), but couldn't find it - which, in and of itself doesn't mean anything. Updates that I've selected to "Hide" and not install, end up trying to add themselves to my next round of updates anyway - MS is evil. Every time, I find myself comparing the list of updates Windows wants to add against my list of ones I've specifically told Windows to hide and not install. I'm always catching the same files added back in. What a joke.

According to your pictures, Objectflow is not working so you experience those loss of items. Make a try with my scenery of ENJA and you will see the same. That scenery has its buildings managed by objectflow so you will have confirmation for the culprit. Let me know

Richard,

I loaded your scenery, and found that I could NOT see the majority of the buildings that SHOULD be present! This is the first time I've been excited that something didn't work - it's progress. At least I now know the culprit (for certain). Now... how to rectify this? I've tried updating objectflow, and re-registering it... but perhaps I didn't do something exactly how it should be done? What would you suggest?

OK, you can reinstall manually ObjectFlow. Into your root FSX directory, go to \ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery and execute ModuleInstaller.exe .

Check that the path for FSX is correct and click on "Install flight Simulator modules(s)". After that, start FSX and accept execution of ObjectFlow.dll

I did that. When I load FSX, it doesn't challenge me to accept objectflow.dll. It doesn't prompt me at all. No difference in the scenery. I can edit fsx.cfg, remove the line for objectflow.dll... and save the file. It will prompt me to accept objectflow then... would you like me to do that?

1 minute ago, Brendan_ said:

I did that. When I load FSX, it doesn't challenge me to accept objectflow.dll. It doesn't prompt me at all. No difference in the scenery. I can edit fsx.cfg, remove the line for objectflow.dll... and save the file. It will prompt me to accept objectflow then... would you like me to do that?

Yes, delete this line into the cfg to reload the question

Richard,

I did that, was prompted to accept and trust objectflow.dll. Loaded up the game, and selected Devil's Tower helipad (When I check, I alternate between Monument Valley and Devil's Tower. I figure if one is fixed they probably both are since it's the same problem affecting both sceneries). It looked the same, sunken, un-tower-like appearance. Clearly objectflow is being affected by SOMETHING. I did recently purchase Svalbard from AeroSoft - I couldn't remember if I installed that prior to my issues... but I'll try removing it and see if that helps. Perhaps something from that scenery affects objectflow?

Richard,

Sadly, it's installed exactly where it put itself when I first installed it years ago. c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Although I've never had problems with it's installation directory. Never. Could it suddenly be an issue starting a few weeks ago?

Since Windows 7, that path is rather sensitive and has security restriction. It's better to install FSX elsewhere such as C:\FSX or D:\FSX if you have a second non system drive

Richard,

I've certainly read that before...but aside from deleting and reinstalling FSX and all the other planes, sceneries, and goodies I've installed over the years (would be a full-time job for the next several days if not weeks - like many of you I'm sure), is there a way to move FSX to another drive or installation location WITHOUT reinstalling it? Do you believe this to be the sudden cause of my issues?

You can move all the content to the new location then use Registrytool from freeware page to relocate the path into Windows Registry.

Many issues concerning dll are due to the installation into the default path.

After moving path, do it clean by reinstalling ORBXlibs

Richard,

I really do appreciate the help that you (and many others) have provided to help resolve my issue.

BUT

There was nothing simple or easy about moving FSX out of the default location it was installed in. If I was computer illiterate - I would be back on here asking more questions about all the error messages and issues I had AFTER moving it. I had to edit fsx.cfg and change the path of every gauge that pointed to the OLD install folder (I know, I could have wiped it out and let FSX build a new one, which I ended up doing - after a fashion). I had to edit scenery.cfg (full of scenery pointing at the wrong folder) and exe.xml (aicarriers wouldn't load) and dll.xml and do the same. The registry tool I downloaded from this site did, however, seem to work like a champ (as far as ORBX is concerned).

Again, I really DO appreciate your help... but I'm a "say what I mean, mean what I say" sorta guy. If I tell someone something is simple, and all they have to do is move the folder, use the registry tool, and it will work - I mean it.

Like many of you on here, I've been involved with simming for more than a decade. I have hundreds of planes, payware airports, and goodies. Moving them caused me no small amount of trepidation.

But I trusted you, sir. I did what you asked.

I took the step of removing objectflow from fsx.cfg and dll.xml and using module installer to reinstall it. Then I reinstalled the latest library file. Loaded FSX, trusted Objectflow (again)... and...

and...

The problem persists.

It's clear to me that objectflow isn't working AT ALL. Location doesn't matter (I'm now relocated to c:\FSX). Everything in my game runs smoothly except objectflow. And I have no idea why... Reinstalling Windows or Flight Simulator isn't an option I'm willing to entertain (nor should it be - it would take me tens of hours to reinstall everything I have at this point - this is a hobby - I already have a job). I could uninstall ORBX and reinstall every ORBX product I have... (*sigh*)... but I don't want to unless I absolutely have to. Just thinking about redownloading, reinstalling, re-patching, re-configuring gives me a headache.

Is there anything else you would recommend trying to get objectflow working before I toss in the towel, and spend an entire week of work reinstalling everything to get your scenery working?

I am really surprised that nobody here has images or clones of their master FSX or P3D  drives,

it takes max 2 hrs to clone 1TB of data, and when you get problems you are Always up and running in 2-3 hrs

save a lot of frustation when something went wrong.

for cloning use macrium reflect it is free and working perfect for this job.

Sim123,

Cloning or imaging are both excellent ideas - and make perfect sense. I just never got around to doing either. I build this computer myself, and left plenty of room for upgrades - so I haven't had to change much since I built it in 2008. I always figured I'd reinstall FSX and go through all the trouble of imaging or cloning whenever I built my "NEW" machine - but as life goes on - I find my time pretty occupied, and the need for a new computer hasn't justified the expense or time involved for me... yet. The day is coming, but not close yet. I get 30fps everywhere - With nearly every slider at max - and haven't had a single problem with the game or any of it's payware airports, airplanes, or add-ons (such as REX, Shade, etc.) that I haven't been able to resolve within an hour's time - until now. I'm baffled. Maybe it's Karma - after all... I've been trouble-free for so long - maybe it's just my turn. :(

Richard, et, all,

Can you tell more about objectflow? What does it need in a windows 7 64 bit environment? What can cause it to not function properly? This issue is unresolved still, and going on a month now. I'd really like to get to the bottom of it. Aside from reinstalling (everything), what are my options?

Brendan

If I had messed with my FS build as much as you have in the last month, I would want to be doing nothing else but a clean rebuild lol ....because it is a hobby and part of the hobby is to do the builds, I sometimes wish I didn't have a cloned set of hard drives and an up to date Acronis backup, so I could actually be forced to do a nice clean rebuild lol 

Archived