Berms and soft dirt at Yongai

Tenpin

Been flying in PNG for years using Graham Mitchell's Raw Grit scenery. Of course i dived - not literally - into the strips you created in the great Port Moresby package, and now the Tapini package, what a great set of airstrips. They are outstanding, but but. Could you possibly haul in a cat, maybe  slung under a heavy lift helo, and smooth out the airstrip at Yongi. Flew in there the other day and my wheels - all three of them sank into the mud. That was shortly after I drove over some monster bump - that I seriously doubt - you will find a RW strip.

Thanks again for these scenery packages.

I concur, there seems to be a problem in Yongai ! Actually I was just to post on this issue too.  The aircraft can crash after you landed safely and stopped it or when rolling gently down the slope. The huge bump may be the cause or a vegetation crashbox, difficult to say. It happened to me three times with the Cub and the An-2.

Ah, nothing like diving a fully loaded Anushka a hair above stall speed, full flaps in Yongai ;) ! What a fun package.

Hi guys,

Ensure you have PNG Holgermesh installed and set to 5m, also crash-detection must be turned off due to the non-level strips and also the close proximity of the autogen vegetation, the crashbox system in FSX/P3D is abysmal at best and very unrealistic and cannot be removed from the autogen (we remove it from all placed objects) 

When we do a service-pack I'll revisit Yongai and see if those bumps (on the left as you come in) can be tamed some more, for now I recommend staying to the right-hand side

I've not seen sunken wheels reported by any of the testers, which aircraft where you using?

Hi Tim

Well, I'm no beta-tester but I fly your strips a lot :) ! Yongai seems to have two issues that I see, highlighted in pink herebelow : the first vegie (and I suppose the second one too but this one I didn't try) on the left does have a crashbox on and crashes the aircraft.  I know it is difficult to get rid of the crashboxes in P3D (at least I can't do it), the solution might be to kill the two.  But also look on the right, the Cub is gonna crash on the next frame of the video. No vegie around, something with the ground. This is a  5 m res.  with the Ultimate mesh.

One last remark if I may. Part of the fun flying your PNG sceneries is the danger of a crash (too high a downward velocity, bad landing angle etc.), to do it right. I'm a bit of a AR here and putting it off is a non starter for me ! Anyway, I hope that may help !

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107475530/Y1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107475530/Y2..jpg

7 minutes ago, dominique said:

This is a  5 m res.  with the Ultimate mesh.

Please try without Pilots Global Ultimate and run with PNG Holgermesh as the manual suggests, you'll find it looks completely different

Autogen will always have crash boxes, we cannot deactivate those

On 3/6/2016 at 2:32 PM, Tim Harris said:

Hi guys,

Ensure you have PNG Holgermesh installed and set to 5m, also crash-detection must be turned off due to the non-level strips and also the close proximity of the autogen vegetation, the crashbox system in FSX/P3D is abysmal at best and very unrealistic and cannot be removed from the autogen (we remove it from all placed objects) 

When we do a service-pack I'll revisit Yongai and see if those bumps (on the left as you come in) can be tamed some more, for now I recommend staying to the right-hand side

I've not seen sunken wheels reported by any of the testers, which aircraft where you using?

Thanks for the reply. The Cessna 337 is the plane. I had a helo there as well and the struts went below the surface.

Do you have crash detection on?  

I went back to Yongai last night after installing the PNG Holgermesh, and disabling the Oceania Pilots mesh, and tested it in every conceivable situation with several different aircraft and not once did I get crashing.  I have crash detection turned off, because it is unrealistic in most circumstances.  

5 hours ago, John Dow said:

Do you have crash detection on?  

I went back to Yongai last night after installing the PNG Holgermesh, and disabling the Oceania Pilots mesh, and tested it in every conceivable situation with several different aircraft and not once did I get crashing.  I have crash detection turned off, because it is unrealistic in most circumstances.  

As said earlier in the thread I do not share this view at all. I deem crash detection an essential part of the fun of flying the bush. Whats is unrealistic in crashing when your downward speed is too high landing in Fane or when you hit the trees in Asimba ? To each his own I suppose. 

Just now, Tenpin said:

Tim,
I'm using Holgers Mesh for PNG, and the slider - as you can see - is set on 5.

I see something similar with the An2, a very minor annoyance though compared to the crashes

@TenpinThere is nothing special or different at Yongai, just the normal sloping flatten similar to Efogi in the other AYPY bush pack, so perhaps try a different aircraft as it may be something to do with the contact points on this particular aircraft, I will also skim through my collection and see if there is a common theme

@dominique Regarding crash detection, as I have said already in this thread and in many others over the years both here at Orbx and at Ozx, with a developers insight and experience with the crashbox system the system is not friendly with non-standard runways (i.e not dead flat), the only cure for crashes relating to ground contact are to put in APX grass runway surfaces and make the runways flat which is something we will not be doing.

We can look at removing some of the autogen-based vegetation from the vicinity if that is the cause, but the actual cure here is to turn off crash detection, and example of a rather tame crashbox is below, some are worse.

crashbox.jpg

Just now, Tim Harris said:

@TenpinThere is nothing special or different at Yongai, just the normal sloping flatten similar to Efogi in the other AYPY bush pack, so perhaps try a different aircraft as it may be something to do with the contact points on this particular aircraft, I will also skim through my collection and see if there is a common theme

@dominique Regarding crash detection, as I have said already in this thread and in many others over the years both here at Orbx and at Ozx, with a developers insight and experience with the crashbox system the system is not friendly with non-standard runways (i.e not dead flat), the only cure for crashes relating to ground contact are to put in APX grass runway surfaces and make the runways flat which is something we will not be doing.

We can look at removing some of the autogen-based vegetation from the vicinity if that is the cause, but the actual cure here is to turn off crash detection, and example of a rather tame crashbox is below, some are worse.

Tim

I understand your point about the vegetation, doing some amateurish sceneries myself.It is a plague indeed. But there are two kinds of crashes in Yongai, one generated by some vegetation and another one where  there's none around (red Cub).  To date, thats the only the strip in your two packages where I encounter this issue. 

Just tested the C337 in FSX and I'm seeing none of the issues you're reporting in P3D.  The aircraft sits pretty well on top of the strip (as the wheels bounce they do go in a few inches) and I couldn't get any crashes to occur except when I landed too hard or hit vegetation.

So maybe part of the problem lies in the porting of the C337 to P3D and maybe part of it lies in the P3D architecture.

One thing i will say is I find the C337 not a very suitable aircraft for this strip!  Need a headwind to take off downhill, not very realistic because when you come back to land it's a downwind landing, almost impossible.

Archived