Beach For Sale (New Zealand)

Matthew Kane

We have a beach in the Abel Tasman Park in New Zealand that is in Private Hands, it is also pristine and for sale, therefore as a nation we are banding together to raise the 2 million dollars to purchase that beach and gift it back to New Zealand to make it public access once again. As I post this the campaign has reached $1,257,169.00, I am surprised it got this far and only a few weeks in so looks like this might work after all. Amazing what people can do when they band together.

Here is a link to the campaign:

https://givealittle.co.nz/project/abeltasmanbeach2016

Even if you don't want to give because you are not a Kiwi, you do have to admit this is a really cool idea

I think I would want a little more information as to the who and where of the organization or individuals taking on the fiduciary responsibility of managing these funds once they are raised -- something that would make me feel some level of certainly that the beach did get purchased and gifted to the good people of NZ.

Bruce

There are private land ownerships in some of our own national parks and monuments.  They were there before the areas became national parks.

Grand Teton National Park was once almost totally owned by the Rockefeller family.  They gave it to the United States for use as a national park.  There are still some areas in it that remained privately owned.  They are called inholdings.  Glacier National Park also has inholdings.  The same is true for Point Reyes National Seashore in California.  Several working dairy farms are located within it's boundaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inholding

Ripcord, the website answers these questions.  Your donation is a pledge and money will not be deducted from your credit card unless the entire 2 million is raised by Feb 15th.

But I am a sucker for charity.  Whenever I go to Wal-Mart I always put a couple dollar bills in my shirt pocket for the 'homeless' people who sometimes stand by the exit from time to time.  I'm told it might be a scam.  I know that.  But it also might not be a scam.  And I can afford to share a dollar with someone who might be in need. So I take the chance the person really needs it.

Noel

Just now, birdguy said:

Ripcord, the website answers these questions.  Your donation is a pledge and money will not be deducted from your credit card unless the entire 2 million is raised by Feb 15th.

Hmmm, I didn't see those answers, Noel.  I understand how the fund-raising mechanism works, and I saw the bit there about how the good folks at Givealittle would have a look at the purchase-sale agreement to verify that this beach is being purchased, by somebody, before paying out these funds.  But that is the extent of it.  I am sure these fellows mean well, but I am also sure I'm the only guy out there that would question this.

I don't think you'd make a lot Bruce.  Not many people are as gullible as I am.  But PM me your mailing address and I'll put a dollar in an envelope and send it to you.

What I read there Ripcord was good enough for me.  And I trust ytzpilot.  I don't think a familiar guy on this forum with more posts than I have would mislead us.

Noel 

On 2/9/2016 at 7:07 AM, Ripcord said:

Hmmm, I didn't see those answers, Noel.  I understand how the fund-raising mechanism works, and I saw the bit there about how the good folks at Givealittle would have a look at the purchase-sale agreement to verify that this beach is being purchased, by somebody, before paying out these funds.  But that is the extent of it.  I am sure these fellows mean well, but I am also sure I'm the only guy out there that would question this.

Yes they will not deduct the money from your account unless the money was raised and a purchase was agreed upon, otherwise no money will come out of your account. The beach will be purchased and handed over to the Department of Conservation.

This has become a thing of National Pride here similar to how New Yorkers raised the money outside of Government Coffers to build the pedastal for the Statue of Liberty. France built the statue and gifted it under the condition that USA build the Pedestal, the Government wanted nothing to do with that. So the people saw the importance of it and paid for it themselves. This is very similar as Kiwi's do love this land and will support a cause like this to bring a beach back into Public hands for everyone to enjoy. 

We are nearly there as we are at almost $1.8 million dollars. The one thing that could stop this is a millionaire out there offering over asking for the beach, but if that happened they would become the most hated person in New Zealand. 

Target has been met and we are now over $2 million. What could happen next is a millionaire out there could outbid the public but do so at their own peril. If someone else did buy that beach it would be outbidding a nation of pledges, he/she would most likely not get any peace or tranquility when they become public enemy #1 :ph34r:

2 hours ago, ytzpilot said:

If someone else did buy that beach it would be outbidding a nation of pledges, he/she would most likely not get any peace or tranquility when they become public enemy #1

The seller has the right to sell to whomever they want to, just because you reached your goal doesn't make the beach yours to purchase.

30 minutes ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

The seller has the right to sell to whomever they want to, just because you reached your goal doesn't make the beach yours to purchase.

Well aware of that. But remember New Zealand is a small place and the difference is living a life in comfort drinking a coffee in a cafe or not when you upset the nation. To live here comfortably best not to upset the locals 

Twenty or more years ago Ted Turner and Jane Fonda-Turner bought a ranch near Bozeman Montana. 

There's a road that traverses the ranch along a fence line and for years the former owners allowed locals to use the road for access to the national forest land on the other side of the ranch.

Ted Turner closed the road and barred the locals from using it.  He became a pariah in Bozeman. 

And Turner isn't the only one. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/26/us/rich-newcomers-closing-the-wilds-of-montana.html

I would hope things are different in New Zealand,

Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived