KCGX Meigs Field ATC - T&G & AI traffic

km2727

When using ATC at KCGX, tower OK's touch & go right traffic from RW36. However, when completing the pattern and touching down, tower then says to contact ground instead of allowing another circuit. Also when I have AI traffic enabled, the Cessna ahead of me just sits at the hold short line and never moves until it times out and disappears. ATC never comes back to approve my takeoff. Any fix, other than not using ATC and AI traffic?

I just purchased Meigs, and noticed  a similar problem.  Set up a touch and go, left traffic, RWY 36.  All OK until touching down, when ATC says to contact ground, rather than take off.  Did not encounter any problems doing a full stop landing.  Great to have Meigs Field back.  I spent a lot of time at this airport in some of the earliest versions of flight simulator.  Scenery has come a long ways since then.  Excellent work!

Jim Kaye 

4 hours ago, km2727 said:

Also when I have AI traffic enabled, the Cessna ahead of me just sits at the hold short line and never moves until it times out and disappears.

When I dabbled in amending old default FSX airports, I found that if the taxiways weren't properly connected to the runway (or if there was a break in continuity somewhere earlier) the AI aircraft would do just that.

From what I (dimly) remember, these last points could be defined as "holding points". Even when they do work, I sometimes find there's so much incoming traffic at some airports, that the first in line in the AI queue times out - then everything shuffles up.

As to ATC calls, I think the logic in FSX/P3D is *very* imperfect in general.

Adam.

• 1 month later...

I just got PlanG, and when I select the KCGX airport, its' info shows: Rwy: 36/18 3769ft x 0ft Concrete, instead of x150ft. This may be why AI planes can't take off and ATC says to contact ground on T&G's. The runway is actually defined as non-existent although it's painted.

• 2 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, km2727 said:

I just got PlanG, and when I select the KCGX airport, its' info shows: Rwy: 36/18 3769ft x 0ft Concrete, instead of x150ft. This may be why AI planes can't take off and ATC says to contact ground on T&G's. The runway is actually defined as non-existent although it's painted.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:43 PM, Alex Goff said:

We have a fixed APX file ready for patching. I've been waiting to see if more bugs appear before going ahead with the patch. It appears there probably aren't, so the patch will be forthcoming.

After waiting a while for an update for this problem, back in 2016 since I use this as my default airport, I made a temporary update patch using Airport Design Editor (ADE) to change the Rwy width to 150ft. That worked out fine until my PC crashed last month. With the reinstall I see it still has this problem. Could you please update this minor problem in a future release?

Thank you again for all your excellent products. :)

It's been a while, but looking back through my files I see that a v1.01 was released for Meigs Field including an updated APX. It looks like this is the same APX that is included in current builds on FTX Central. The APX I have on file has a width of 10m which I think was intended to widen enough for AI and ATC to register, but not so wide as to pop out from under the ground polygon.

Could you check that this is the APX installed? 

Orbx_KCGX_APX.bgl

Thanks Alex,

I have just done a fresh install in P3DV4 and the APX file is the same as the one you attached to your post. It has a width of 10m

I have done some testing with touch and goes, and they are all good.  There is no interference from ATC.  I will do some further testing with AI.

Cheers,

@km2727

Hi Kevin,

I have been looking in to this, and it seems although all versions got an update to V1.01, the FSX version still has a 0.3 ft width runway, whereas P3DV3 and P3DV4 versions have a 32.8 ft width runway.  Are you by any chance using FSX?

In the testing I did in FSX AI seemed to depart OK from runway 18, and they proceeded to do touch and goes, but they landed over half way down the runway.  When I landed on runway 18 I was told to contact ground unless I also landed over halfway down the runway.  This behaviour doesn't seem to be the same in P3DV3 and P3DV4.

Until this is fixed in the download package, I suggest you download the APX file attached.  This should solve the issues.  Back up your existing APX file and then just add the one above in the "......\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KCGX\Scenery" folder.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Orbx_KCGX_APX.bgl

Thank you all,

Yes I'm using FSX for now. The issue is resolved. The replacement APX is kind'a like what I did before (45.72M instead of 10M) but I didn't want to post it here since that might have gone against the EULA or broke someone's warrantee. :ph34r: 

Thanks again for all of your wonderful products.

Archived