The second most often asked question?

FLighT

After "Have you installed the latest Orbx Libs".

"Which of the (5) versions of FSX are you using and in Dx9 or Dx10?"

I would like to see this info as a part of any post reporting problems with an Orbx product. It could also be included in the Profile, or Signature so as to not have to type it in the body of the post each time.

Just my opinion.

7 hours ago, FLighT said:

I would like to see this info as a part of any post reporting problems with an Orbx product. It could also be included in the Profile, or Signature so as to not have to type it in the body of the post each time.

I agree it would help.  But it assumes a new flight simulator or ORBX product user (and even many people who have been flight simming for a long time) would already be aware that those things could be part of the problem to begin with.  If they aren't aware of that, they wouldn't be inclined to put that information in their "help me" post, Profile, or Signature to begin with.

Part of trouble-shooting any user's problem many times is first determining what they already know vs what they don't know about how their flight simulator works.  So sometimes you're gonna have to ask them, to find out the answers to the version of the flight sim they are using or the Dx version they are using...along with maybe even some other things like addons they have installed that will cause conflicts that they think shouldn't be part of the problem too.

It's the old problem of providing Tech Support all tech support people face.  If you tell someone to "Press Any Key" and they respond with "I can't find the Any Key on my keyboard!", you know it's time to start helping them at a different level of "tech support" they will be able to comprehend.

:)

2- Did you open FTX Central; after installing the library files, and apply a region as active ?

I now have a text file saved,  to copy and paste from. This comes up so often.

Standard questions.

1-  Did you install the latest library files ?

2-  Did you after installing the library files, open FTX Central, and apply "Global"  as your active area?

There also could be catchy slogans flashing in the forum headings, you know, like

Have you installed your Libs, lately ?

or

Zip it out  !

or

Show your order number and you will be #1 for us !

or

Go fly with Apply !

or

You too can have an insertion point like mine !  (a little risqué, maybe)

or

... (I let your imagination work)

:lol:

On 2016-01-22 at 7:16 AM, FLighT said:

After "Have you installed the latest Orbx Libs".

So right, but you probably mean also which version of sim: P3D V? OR FSX version

I sometime read a whole treat just to see at the end that it's a P3D thread... I'm running FSX.

Ben

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

So right, but you probably mean also which version of sim: P3D V? OR FSX version

I sometime read a whole treat just to see at the end that it's a P3D thread... I'm running FSX.

Ben

That happens to me all the time, get to the bottom of the thread and... I can't really help in a situation like that, after checking the location out myself, other than to say "works fine in FSX / Dx9", which is no help to anyone using P3D (your version here) or Dx10. Or, Steam for that matter.

Does bring a question to mind; when P3D releases V4 I guess all FTX installers have to be redone again?

9 minutes ago, FLighT said:

That happens to me all the time, get to the bottom of the thread and... I can't really help in a situation like that, after checking the location out myself, other than to say "works fine in FSX / Dx9", which is no help to anyone using P3D (your version here) or Dx10. Or, Steam for that matter.

Does bring a question to mind; when P3D releases V4 I guess all FTX installers have to be redone again?

We had a talk elsewhere about that, this is crazy, on top if I get that P3D thing! people have to purchase each new version, re-install everything... NOT for me and this is why I'm staying away from P3D. We see ED working like crazy to built multiple installer... he is gonna be finish with P3D V3 and he will have to start over for V4

If one day they state that P3D will be stable at, let's say ver. 4 for some years with update called P3D V4.1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... that will be fine with me.

If one thing that I hate doing is installing stuff, I so have no time for that. When I go on the sim I want to fly, not spending my evening installing stuff.

End of rant

Ben

4 hours ago, FLighT said:

Who knows how v4 will look like ? I Chances are that it will support dx12 or even dx13 and, hopefully, some new techno-goodies so I suppose that adjustments will have to be made and not only in the installers, maybe to the core too ! I  don't even speak of a 64bits v4 !

And we can only wish for those.  Why do you think our sims are so good now ? Our hobby has been been like that for 35 years, a moving target for "we, the users", except that period after 2007 when FSX was clinically dead in Redmont. A new sim needs new installs or adjustments like it did, in the FSX line, from FS2K to FS2k2 to FS9 to FSX to FSX SP1 to FSX SP2  in seven years in the 2000s. And now with FSX Steam .   This is not something special to P3D, this the way the sim world moves about. Resistance is futile, ...

PS Now, there are still  lunatics people that swear that they will never go SP2 as it broke compatibility with FSX+SP1 :lol:  !   

Archived