KEGE ILS 25: Glidescope Issue

Airwolf

Hey guys,

Thanks for the latest KEGE installer and I got it up and running in P3D 3.1 flawlessly.

I can't figure this one out.  During ILS landing to Runway 25 with the new radio freq 109.75 (though in PMDG 737 FMC it shows 108.30, something like that).  I get the plane follow the ils, but as it gets close to runway the plane is not aligned perfectly with the runway and I have to disconnect the autopilot and hand land it. 

Is that how it is done in real life at KEGE as the plane gets closer to runway, pilots have to hand land the birds. 

Or I can do full ils autolanding? and if I can do full ils then why isn't the plane aligning itself with the runway.

I have latest quad installer KEGE Version 1.10 with Latest Libraries 151213 installed.  FTX is set to Hybrid Mode

Thank you

Airwolf

14 hours ago, Airwolf said:

I can't figure this one out.  During ILS landing to Runway 25 with the new radio freq 109.75 (though in PMDG 737 FMC it shows 108.30, something like that).  I get the plane follow the ils, but as it gets close to runway the plane is not aligned perfectly with the runway and I have to disconnect the autopilot and hand land it. 

I think this is an example of old data conflicting with new data. ORBX KEGE (which I don't have) probably has the ILS frequency and heading for Rwy 25 updated to the current charts while the AIRAC for the PMDG 737 has the old info

If I remember right, somewhere in the configuration of the 737 there's a setting for "use FSX(P3D) default heading for ILS" ... or something like that. Try disabling that and see if you align with the runway.

3 hours ago, PandaBare said:

I think this is an example of old data conflicting with new data. ORBX KEGE (which I don't have) probably has the ILS frequency and heading for Rwy 25 updated to the current charts while the AIRAC for the PMDG 737 has the old info

If I remember right, somewhere in the configuration of the 737 there's a setting for "use FSX(P3D) default heading for ILS" ... or something like that. Try disabling that and see if you align with the runway.

But in the nav radio's I did put in the new ILS frequency and it did pick up GS but it wasn't aligned at all.  I will try your suggestion right now and see on what happens

This has been brought up a few times since release of KEGE. Read the approach plates (they are even included with the scenery) and you will see that there is no ILS. Yes, there is a localizer and yes there is a glideslope, but they aren't aligned with the runway or it's touch down area due to the high terrain nearby.

3 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

This has been brought up a few times since release of KEGE. Read the approach plates (they are even included with the scenery) and you will see that there is no ILS. Yes, there is a localizer and yes there is a glideslope, but they aren't aligned with the runway or it's touch down area due to the high terrain nearby.

Thanks that explains it - I am still learning on how to read approach plates.

I just saw the plate and I did the markings that I could understand - I guess it says to fly visually.

Dave_YVR please let me know if I am reading this correct also.

kege plate.PNG

I think you'll find many instances (in RL and FS) where ILS beacons don't sit at the end of the runway.

I'm no expert, but I think the procedure is to use auto-land as far as practicable, then complete the last stage manually (by which stage the runway should be visible - even in IFR conditions) <??>.

Adam.

2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Actual autoland's are fairly rare, only used when the weather requires it, ie visibility is less than 1sm.

Thanks Dave_YVR and everyone else for all the help in this thread.

Looks like this airport does indeed do a LDA based approach and does not have ILS.  I just learned what LDA is last night: Localizer type Directional Aid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localizer_type_directional_aid

Orbx Dev - can you mark this post as answered.  Thank You

A couple of other comments.  As you now know, this is not an ILS but rather an LDA and most LDA approaches don't even include glideslope, they're typically horizontal guidance only - Eagle's is one of the fairly rare exceptions. And just FYI, ILS ≠ autoland.  The majority of ILS's flown are terminated with the pilot controlling the aircraft below the DH.  Many (probably most) aircraft flown into Eagle don't even have full autoland capability.  When training for an instrument rating, you'll never even fly a coupled approach, nor will you when you do the instrument checkride.

Scott

Heck≠

Great image that does a wonderful job of showing why an ILS wouldn't work at KEGE and why an offset is required.  An ILS approach has some pretty strong restrictions on terrain clearance and those hills to the left of the direct alignment rule out the direct path.

Like many mountain airports, if conditions are bad here, you're going to be headed to your alternate.  Note that even in daylight and with GS guidance, the last 4.3 miles and the last 1790' of descent MUST be flown in visual conditions and the missed approach has some aggressive climb requirements.  This airport is surrounded by challenging terrain.  An LDA is great in moderately poor conditions, but it is definitely NOT a precision approach.

Scott

Archived