Large drop in performance

Rimshot

That's interesting. Of all my installs I found YMML to be a lagfest. I reinstalled it last week and thought maybe there was something not working right with it and objectflow. Even though a lot of my P3Dv2 airports have installed and run nicely, this one gave me issues. I never had such low fps with YMML when I ran it on FSX. I removed it from my scenery thinking a v3 installer may resolve it. Although the poster has these issues with other areas so not much help. 

Hi all,

I have the same issue. After upgrade to 3.1 I had a huge loss of fps. 

Default plane

Default time and season

Default weather

Default location

v3 - 55~65 fps (unlimited)

v3.1 - 30 ~35 fps (unlimited)

My performance drops to half. When I roll back to v3, the fps back to normal (55~65)

i7 4790k

32gb ram

p3d installed on a ssd

Evga GTX 980ti

57 minutes ago, Delmonte said:

Hi all,

Default plane

Default time and season

Default weather

Default location

My performance drops to half. When I roll back to v3, the fps back to normal (55~65)

i7 4790k

32gb ram

p3d installed on a ssd

Evga GTX 980ti

Is it possible that some of the improved water effects or other 3.1 improvements are simply inflicting a performance hit when mixed with your current configuration, such as AA or other features that add extra rendering passes to each frame?

17 hours ago, banjoman1960 said:

check wat programms run in the background when this happen,it is not normal that it runs core_0 at 95% at idle.........

Ralf, I hust checked what the value is when I'm only using Chrome to browse these forums. The core_0 is now between 0-4%, so maybe when I was talking about 90-95% after shutting down P3D I didn't give it enough time to settle.

13 hours ago, veldthui said:

Well I had a huge drop in frame rates today and that was followed by a OOM from VAS. Flight was from YSSY to YMML using FTX Global/Vector/Aus SP4. When I started I had about 1GB VAS free and frame rates of 24-30 FPS with a lot of eye candy. On the descent into YMML I heard the ding from FSUIPC for low VAS just as the buildings started popping up. Shortly after that it died. I have YMML installed as well so maybe it was that. I then started at YMML and did a free flight around the city. Again started with 26-30FPS (locked at 30) and took off with 1GB of VAS free. As I flew around the city the VAS started dropping and after 5 minutes there was only about 400MB left. Something is using and not releasing the VAS. Turned off Active Sky but it made no difference and by now the frame rates where down to 8-10fps.

Strange, but it seems unrelated to my issue for which I started this thread. I have never experienced OOM's or performance loss within one session.

3 hours ago, Delmonte said:

Hi all,

Default plane

Default time and season

Default weather

Default location

i7 4790k

32gb ram

p3d installed on a ssd

Evga GTX 980ti

Very annoying, but is is not the same issue. My problem is that one session P3D performs great as expected with my system. The next time I start the sim I only have 10-12 fps. This happened with version 3 and now with version 3.1.

I must add that today and yesterday I only experienced good performance in P3D. I didn't have a single session in which te fps had dropped. I don't know why though...

On 12/27/2015 at 7:25 PM, Rimshot said:

But when I do a full reinstall of my operating system and the simulator, how on earth am I going to find what's wrong? I had a perfectly working sim and overnight, without any changes to the sim or system, it performed far worse... I'm worried this will happen again, even after a fresh installation of Windows.

I'm sorry to interponate  to this post a good deal later as it was written, but - having had a similar problem, where I could run out the culprit (it was a corrupt? freeware addon aircraft) - my question to this cited post is:

Don't you do any backups?

I've got at least 7 (in words: seven) 1:1 partition backups of my system drive C, the newest from last weekend, the oldest dating back to Jan.2015. And I have collected 6 (six) file-related backups of my P3D installation, the first one created directly after finishing the prime installation, the second one after activation and first startup, the third one, after I had finished the installation of my three A2A aircrafts, and so on. These file-related backups include even all the \Prepar3D v3 folders distributed in the various system folders of Win7.

But with this multitude of backups I easily can drop off the latest 5 to 6 addon installations, have a look whether my system goes ok at that point, and repeat the dropped installations one by one (maybe I should add, that I have  a little text file, where I write down the sequence of installations, and which backup was made after which addon - just to complete the "guide for backup maniacs" ;o)

Maybe it sounds weird, but since I do so, I haven't lost a byte of information (yet), and making faulty or corrupting installations 'undone' is as easy as saying "abracadabra".

So. I'm sorry that I could not contribute to the solution of THIS your problem, but maybe it's an idea to avoid the NEXT problem of this kind.

Michael.

Thanks for your suggestion Michael. Actuallly I never use backups, apart from data. This could mean I have to do a reinstall of OS and software if things go really wrong, but that's the risk I'll take.

I just did a gorgeous flight, and my performance was excellent. Somehow all my P3D sessions the last couple of days performed as they should. Could the problem have fixed itself? :blink: I'm glad about it though! Happy 2016 everyone! :)

I have observed one or two sessions with P3Dv3.1, where - I don't know why - FPS were terrible, partly frame-shows with 3-4 FPS, no matter whether I was somewhere over an ocean or in around Manhattan. Next day - same scenario, same settings - FPS were, where 'they belong to' - between 30-50 over the ocean and in the 10s to 20s above Manhattan.

THAT I never found out why - despite all my backups (which were of no use in these cases).

Seems, that the only thing that counts, is, that it works (again)!

Michael.

One thing that can result in erratic FPS behavior is pop-up instruments.  See this thread:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=116296&p=124454#p124454

I wrote it in terms of microstutters, but it applies also to FPS issues.  When you benchmark a system it is important to have exactly the same pop-up panel history before you run the benchmark test.  With some panels, even if they are not displayed on the screen, they remain active in the background and can cause frame rate issues.  Unfortunately most of the pop-ups don't have a way to be disabled once you've started them.  In some of my aircraft their are pop-ups that I never use due to the FPS loss when they are on.

The issue of FPS loss due to background activity also applies to other add-ons, though I've never seen one that has as large an effect as some of the instrument pop-ups (e.g., GPS).

Also, when you have an FPS loss, run Task Manager and see if there are any tasks running that are using significant CPU resources.  It is surprising sometimes to see how software vendors have "helpfully" added tasks in the background that use the CPU and the Internet.

On 30 December 2015 at 0:33 AM, veldthui said:

As I flew around the city the VAS started dropping and after 5 minutes there was only about 400MB left. Something is using and not releasing the VAS. 

There is, at least on some setups, a serious memory leak caused by road traffic.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=116463

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=116503

20 hours ago, silentsage said:

One thing that can result in erratic FPS behavior is pop-up instruments.  See this thread:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=116296&p=124454#p124454

Also, when you have an FPS loss, run Task Manager and see if there are any tasks running that are using significant CPU resources.  It is surprising sometimes to see how software vendors have "helpfully" added tasks in the background that use the CPU and the Internet.

15 hours ago, sbs9 said:

There is, at least on some setups, a serious memory leak caused by road traffic.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=116463

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=116503

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I test flight is the A2A Cub at Orbx KFHR. road traffic is at 10, but even setting it to 0 doesn't make a difference

This morning P3D suddenly performed bad again, after a couple of flawless sessions the last days. I did a reinstall of the sim. The performance is still bad. I have fps locked at 30, but only get around 12 fps with the default P3D flight. At least I know now the problem is not related to Orbx software, because it is happening with a clean P3D installation. It might be a GPU problem after all. Check the P-state. That can't be right:

GPUtemp12c9680.jpg

Hi

I have already suggested this but will do so again.

Reinstall your Windows software.

If you have a rogue item in your registry, it will not matter how often you install your sim, it will still affect it.

I have a full reinstall down to a fine art and can do so in just over one hour. By planning ahead and moving software to my 'D' drive I can also avoid having to reinstall it. For instance REX, Scotflight and NL2000 software installed on my 'D' drive only needs adding to the scenery file in my newly installed Sim for it to work. I do not need to reinstall it.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Kind regards

Ian

36 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I test flight is the A2A Cub at Orbx KFHR. road traffic is at 10, but even setting it to 0 doesn't make a difference

This morning P3D suddenly performed bad again, after a couple of flawless sessions the last days. I did a reinstall of the sim. The performance is still bad. I have fps locked at 30, but only get around 12 fps with the default P3D flight. At least I know now the problem is not related to Orbx software, because it is happening with a clean P3D installation. It might be a GPU problem after all. Check the P-state. That can't be right:

GPUtemp12c9680.jpg

That's what it would look like if you are CPU bottlenecked. While I don't know what's going on, nothing actually looks wrong to me at the GPU end of things from those screenshots. It just looks like it's not under much load because the CPU is choked up. While the load looks more balanced across the cores than your previous postings, there's still the chance that processes that have to run on P3D's primary core are not running efficiently at all, for whatever reason, software or hardware.

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

If you have a rogue item in your registry, it will not matter how often you install your sim, it will still affect it.

Thanks Ian. I hear you. But I don't like what I'm hearing :P Do you really think a tiny registry setting could cause this, that it only affects P3D? All other games I have do not have a single issue. But you might be right it's the best thing to do a complete fresh OS install. I've been postponing this, because I'm also curious if I can find the cause of the problem with the help of everyone here.

1 hour ago, paralipsis said:

That's what it would look like if you are CPU bottlenecked. While I don't know what's going on, nothing actually looks wrong to me at the GPU end of things from those screenshots. It just looks like it's not under much load because the CPU is choked up. While the load looks more balanced across the cores than your previous postings, there's still the chance that processes that have to run on P3D's primary core are not running efficiently at all, for whatever reason, software or hardware.

Could be, but when P3D is running beautifully the CPU values are practically the same...

4 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Could be, but when P3D is running beautifully the CPU values are practically the same...

Yes, which could go some way to explaining why your problem is sometimes there and sometimes not. It could well be that you are always being bottlenecked on that same CPU core, but depending on just what is running on that core (inside or out of the sim, or even both)  that bottleneck becomes more apparent.

After today, when P3D hasn't performed well one single time I decided to follow the advice of Ian and do a reinstall of my OS. I'm sitting behind a virgin Windows 10 installation now. P3D is already installed, but I could not activate it because the activation code has reached its limit. I've sent LM an e-mail, so now I'll just have to wait untill I can check if cleaning my system has solved the issue.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help so far! To be continued :)

Acronis backup software is a good investment. When your installation is running well, do a disk image, so when thinks go wrong, call back that image. It will save you a lot of time. No needs to reinstall all drivers, sim sceneries, aircrafts, tweaks and so on. I just did a call back image last week and it saved me 1 month of work...

Hope things will go well for you ...  Happy new year !

21 hours ago, Ian S said:

Hi

I did that. Went from a system that had been Windows 8 to 8.1 to 10 and it worked okay. No OOM errors and a small slow down at YMML to 10-15FPS. Virgin install of Windows 10 (due to issues with the network adaptors and vmware software) and now getting OOM errors and massive drop at YMML if it doesn't OOM first. This install actually has less addons installed as well. Basically only FTX, PMDG NXG, FS2CREW rebooted and RASPro.

I have disabled ObjectFlow to see if that will make a difference on the next flight. No road traffic enabled so it is not that issue.

On 3-1-2016 at 1:30 AM, Mikelab6 said:

Acronis backup software is a good investment. When your installation is running well, do a disk image, so when thinks go wrong, call back that image.

Thanks for the tip! I will look into that.

On 5-1-2016 at 2:12 PM, RobdeVries said:

And Rimshot any progress so far.

Vriendelijke groeten,

Rob

Thanks for asking Rob. After my clean Windows installation I reinstalled Prepar3D v3.1 and all my addon software. I have done a couple of P3D sessions so far and I haven't had any issues yet! The sim is running like a charm. So Ian was right by advising to completely reinstall my OS. I still don't know what was wrong with my previous install, but I am a very happy man the problem is gone :D

Thanks again everyone for participating in this thread!

Archived