A few potential anomalies with Oceania

Aviara1985

Ok so here are a few question and potential issues. I'm testing around Ocania and noticed some what I believe to be anomalies. It could as well be normal. I could confirm one or the other to be issues and I know the source.

a ) NZAA [Screenshot] surrounded by water or mud? If it is water it lacks the reflection/motion layer (if you know what I mean). Around YBRM  [Screenshot] it's got to be water (the light blue tropic water "patches"). And here an example at NTSU what I would have expected with different water coloring bordering each other [Screenshot]. In case of NZAA and YBRM I can't tell if this is how the Sim portrays it. I couldn't get a definitive conclusion after looking at numerous screenshots. Nevertheless the transition seems very unsmooth.

b ) Some weird stuff going around with the landscape in Sydney (it's the mesh) [Screenshot][Screenshot]. In this case however I can confirm FlyTampa Sydney conflicting (not only with AU SP4, but with FTX Global as well). I will consult FlyTampa for this (including the Toronto issue), but if anyone here has ideas or even solutions feel free to share.

c ) I've never been to NZQN, but I woudn't imagine it's climate being suitable for palm trees (at least not this type) [Screenshot]. The palm trees come with NZSI and/or NZQN as far as I could observe with fooling around.

Thanks and Cheers,

In answer to B.

I don't think that the Bridge problem is FT Sydney. Here is mine with FreeMeshX and as far as I can remember HolgerMesh looked roughly the same. Do you have third party software (other than FT Sydney) in the Sydney area (ie Sydney city scape)?

Bridge.jpg

Some of the FT Sydney intrinsic mesh does not match the land mesh so you will get cliffs. These will be a few miles away from the airport and will be obvious as FT Sydney photoreal will be on one side and AUSP4 photorepresentation will be on the other.

Wall.jpg

Yep Flytampa is above holgermesh and AUS SP4. I even put the mesh file in a seperate folder to drag it down the priority list but as far as i understand meshes are sorted by resolution anyway. As mentioned deactivating it resolves those harsh cliffs in the middle of populated area, but has side effects around the airport like water sunken roads.

I'm using FSX btw.

Hi there,

a.) both the mudflats at NZAA (partially exposed due to low tide) and the Great Barrier Reef polygons are displaying as intended so there's no installation issue. For the reefs it was the only practical way to cover the 350,000 sq km of the GBR with its ~3,000 individual reefs; that said our YBCS airport add-on includes about 100 miles worth of offshore photoreal reefs. 

b.) not sure about the terrain issues with FT Sydney but a previous a compatibility discussion is here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/104373-strange-looking-buildings-ftx-australia/  Your screenshots look as if there's a sea-level flatten active in the harbor area, which would override any terrain mesh files.

c.) NZQN shows the same vegetation for me as well so I'd assume it's intentional. The airport developer is no longer with Orbx but perhaps someone else knows the particulars about the vegetation on that slope. A search of our forum didn't bring up any previous concerns about it.

Cheers, Holger

On 18/12/2015 at 5:20 AM, Aviara1985 said:

Ok so here are a few question and potential issues. I'm testing around Ocania and noticed some what I believe to be anomalies. It could as well be normal. I could confirm one or the other to be issues and I know the source.

a ) NZAA [Screenshot] surrounded by water or mud? If it is water it lacks the reflection/motion layer (if you know what I mean). Around YBRM  [Screenshot] it's got to be water (the light blue tropic water "patches"). And here an example at NTSU what I would have expected with different water coloring bordering each other [Screenshot]. In case of NZAA and YBRM I can't tell if this is how the Sim portrays it. I couldn't get a definitive conclusion after looking at numerous screenshots. Nevertheless the transition seems very unsmooth.

b ) Some weird stuff going around with the landscape in Sydney (it's the mesh) [Screenshot][Screenshot]. In this case however I can confirm FlyTampa Sydney conflicting (not only with AU SP4, but with FTX Global as well). I will consult FlyTampa for this (including the Toronto issue), but if anyone here has ideas or even solutions feel free to share.

c ) I've never been to NZQN, but I woudn't imagine it's climate being suitable for palm trees (at least not this type) [Screenshot]. The palm trees come with NZSI and/or NZQN as far as I could observe with fooling around.

Thanks and Cheers,

Answer to c):

They are not palms trees as such but closer to the  Dicksoniaceae and  Cyatheaceae trees that are part of the vast collection of tropical/subtropical "fern" tress found ALL over New Zealand.  If you are familiar with the Air New Zealand tail graphic ? It represents the "Silver fern" which symbolizes new life, growth, strength and peace. Also the fern is quote a dominate piece in Maori art and culture.

I know it seems strange that these tress would be in a country so far south but trust me they are there and a LOT of them too!! NZ is Truly a stunning and beautiful country.

So in my opinion the developer has nailed this rendition on Queenstown. Just wish there were more NZ airports from Orbx....

Cheers,

Tim.  

Ok thanks a lot on clarifying the palm tree question. Yeah it surely is a beautiful area. Also got NZMF and although its far from home I will be migrating to NZSI for a while in sim and have some fun with the Twin Otter and Piper Cheyenne. I hope someday I will have a visit for real.

I don't use vector with AUS when its active as it causes morphing textures and default bridges mixing in with the custom bridges. I'm not sure if there is a solution to it yet as I couldn't find any, which is unfortunate since I'd have to trade off vector when flying e.g. Sydney - Dubai (Global region)

7 hours ago, Aviara1985 said:

I don't use vector with AUS when its active as it causes morphing textures and default bridges mixing in with the custom bridges. I'm not sure if there is a solution to it yet as I couldn't find any, which is unfortunate since I'd have to trade off vector when flying e.g. Sydney - Dubai (Global region)

Yeah. I've not found a way to get Australia to play nice with Global. Not really sure what to do about that. For now I have it so that I only use Australia in isolation. In fact, so isolated it's in a different sim install.

Disable the FT Sydney mesh by adding the suffix .off to theSydney_Mesh.bgl file. 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FlyTampa\Sydney\scenery\Sydney_Mesh.bgl

Some weird things will be happening such as buildings will be off the ground or half buried, but if the bridge and cliff problems go then this file is the culprit. If it is, then it must be assumed that it is corrupt and simply install FT Sydney over the top of the existing installation.

Archived