NRM degrading addon airport

Just installed latest NRM "v3 install" along with latest Lib and Object Flow over as shown in Scenery Lib pic attached.

Visual Problems noted on viewing:-

1) Grass "Landclass" not respected 

2) Trees growing on various parts of tarmac

3) All colored trees (set at 30 Sept) have disappeared.  Orbx Trees had been purchased and installed previously.

Only positve viewing was traffic on airport road became active which was designed into airport but couldn't be achieved without NRM in v3 but worked in v2?

All of my addon airports have the same sort of viewing problems.

I reinstalled the Object Flow but that made no change.

I can't believe there isn't something wrong - either missed by me or Orbx?

Ken

FSS0153558  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p97sld92mzs4sew/CYKA%20-%20NRM%20added.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2yy6wrx17p2806/CYKA%20-%20NRM%20turned%20off.png?dl=0

Current Library.png

Thanks for the response Dave but shutting down NRM CYKA made no change (Kamloops.bgl, cvx.bgl and plc.bgl) but I agree it was an obvious step.

I've fallen in love with the seasonal trees which NRM seems to cancel, so even if the airports were unscathed I don't think it's a good trade.  I've used NRM happily since 2012 but I think I'll just pull it and carry on.  

Hope I don't sacrifice any of the scenery from those gorgeous tree topping flights over the mountains to yvr in the Winter!  

Best of the season,

Ken

Hi Ken,

NRM has a different seasonal progression than the default sim meaning fall colors may start later in the lower valleys of the BC interior; try October. Only the higher elevations will already show fall colors in September. I enjoy real-world fall colors road trips through that area and usually only start the trip in mid October to capture its peak; see https://www.flickr.com/photos/hsandman/albums/72157636815401686 

As for the issue with the add-on airport it may simply not be compatible with NRM, especially if it was made to fit with the default scenery.

Cheers, Holger

Those are some great pics Holger, plus I always love seeing flying pics from around BC. Followed, if you don't mind.

As for the Kamloops addon scenery, it doesn't look much different than the NRM version that already works quite well (it could still use the addition of the missing ILS for 08 nudge nudge ;) ) . Why not just stick with the NRM variant?

Thanks for the suggestions Holger.  My good friend Blaunarwal (Dan) suggested I do a complete NRM uninstall/reinstall which I did with no benefit ... I'm starting to muse about the fact I have P3dv2.5 loaded on this drive with v3 and wonder if there is any inter-relational affair going on.  Dan has almost the same CYKA version as I do (he did the hard work) and he's not getting the trees on the runways with NRM. 

Great call on the "dating" Holger ... October 15 brought out the fall colours ... and greened up the airport but it persists in planting on the tarmac.   I have the ORBx CYKA FTX files turned off at this time. Are the trees P3d or our Orbx purchased Tree software?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/603u2j5la5nq4b4/CYKA%20incl%20NRM%20date%20changed%20to%20Oct%2015.png?dl=0 

I've turned the left field into an airport "RBRA" and it looks so good I'd like to do for real :wub:

Well those are some nice shots of God's country ... I was born in NRM and I get real busy with the Sony around the beginning of Oct ... attached shot taken of my place on Oct 10th.

Not quite sure what to make of it ... I've been using NRM since 2012 without problems ... maybe something going on with the Landclass in ADE ...? 

Anyway, I appreciate the input.  BTW Dave our version of CYKA has the ILS for 08 - 109.30 ... is it missing in NRM ....!

Best,

Ken

Thanks for the reminder Sue.  It turns out I didn't, but it was set correctly on NA.  I thought your idea was worth a try so I switched to FTX Global and ran the sim with NRM turned on and basically there was no change that I could discover.

I'm beginning to believe that NRM has a different interpretation of the Land Classes I'm using which would account for the differences:-

1) My "Grass" LC without NRM looks like grass and no other shrubbery on it.

2) My "Cool fields and woods" LC gets wiped right out by NRM

Compare the two pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfwoppt77sxunfa/CYKA%20Terminal%20pic.png?dl=0

This first pic is with NRM on.  On the right side of the airport road is Landclass "Cool fields and woods" and on the left side is "Grass".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5zeorwvodjr7n9/CYKA%20Terminal%20NRM%20off.png?dl=0

This second pic is with NRM off.  The Land Classes are the same but there is no comparison of the results.

If this theory is correct it might also explain the errant trees!

Anyway, all input is very much appreciated but the simple solution seems to be to pay the price of turning NRM off, if addon airports are to be continued.

Best,

Ken

Hi Ken,

for technical reasons the NA regions do assign different land use types than what the default class names suggest to some of the land classes. For example "Cool Fields and Woods" is one of our treed wetland types in NRM. If you're looking for airport grass try class #147 (Savanna Grass), which is what we use in NRM for most airport skirtings.

If you're interested in scenery/airport development I highly recommend getting familiar with the TMFViewer tool included with the SDK. It allows you to load all vector/polygon (= CVX) files, such as ADE_FTX_NRM_CYKA_Kamloops_CVX.bgl in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY\Scenery. Then you can right-click on any polygon or vector and select "Identify Vector Features" for more information. While the tool doesn't show the friendly type/class names all you need to do is to copy the first few digits of the listed GUID into the search window of the active terrain.cfg file (opened with Wordpad or Notepad) to find the information you need.

Most of the trees and shrubs you'll see in the FTX Regions are default variants placed on our landclass texture sets; some Regions have custom autogen tree types as well but NRM isn't one of them. As paralipsis correctly states, FTX Trees HD is strictly a texture replacement add-on meaning it doesn't change the placement, density, or type of trees you'll see. 

Cheers, Holger

Good day Holger,

Very helpful indeed!  That's a million dollar tip ... and your determination to clear this up for me is much appreciated.

Seasons greetings and if you need any snow I'll do my best to send some but it's in short supply so far this year 

Best,

Ken

One last post on this subject ... 

Holger your "Savanna Grass" will do the job just fine and NRM is happily back on duty!  This pic shows it used on the ranch instead of grass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v47vrvx98zxjjk/Riverbank%20Ranch.png?dl=0

Your lesson in the difference between Orbx's LC's and the more common choices suggests that the Orbx scenery should be installed first and then the LC for the airport chosen by the designer from what's available to provide a compatible fit.  That may not work perfectly but it beats going without NRM.

I also see real value in the TMFViewer which you laid out so nicely but I was unable to get the GUID to find any of the information so I'll keep on this until I get it working.

Now all that's left is to find out which LC Orbx likes better than  "Cool Fields and Woods" 

Thanks again,

Ken

PS all the trees planted on the tarmacs have disappeared.    

Archived