Black Buildings (again) [YBCS Cairns]

Bruce R

I have a problem with black buildings around Cairns (YBCS) airport.  Probably about 70% of houses to the north of the airport, and the city to the south are solid black.

I’m running W7 Pro 64.  I purchased a new high end computer about 3 months ago and this problem has happened since then. There were no problems with black buildings anywhere with my old computer.  My current computer specs are; Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 32.00 GB RAM, drivers are 359.06.                                      

I have got the following ORBX products installed;  FTX Australia SP4 004, FTX Global Base, NZNI, NZSI, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Alice Springs, Aeropelican, Avalon, Bathurst, Brisbane, Broom, Bundaberg, Cairns, Caloundra, Canberra, Coffs Harbour, England FTX, Hervey Bay, Jandakot, Melbourne, Moorabbin, Port Macquarie, Pago Pago, Southern Alaska, Tamworth, ORBX Trees, Wollongong, Warnervale.  All current updates have been installed.  I also have the latest FTX libs installed – 151108.  The only area displaying black buildings is north and south of Cairns airport. 

I have searched these forums and found a large number of members who have the BB Syndrome.  There’s been a few suggestions but there has never been a definite answer to what’s causing it.  From these posts I have done the following;

-         -  I have NOT ticked DirectX.  I don’t use it.  Strangely, I ticked it last night, reloaded FSX and went to Cairns.  All the buildings which were previously black were a pale blue colour.  They were more defined as houses, rather than just a completely black box.  I have since unticked DirectX and returned to the black buildings. 

-          - Ground scenery shadows is OFF

-         -  I have opened up FTX Central and clicked Global; opened FSX and closed it, rebooted the computer, opened up FTX Central again and returned to Oceania.  Black buildings are still present north and south of Cairns airport. 

-         -  There was also some strange shimmering of some lights beside the Cairns runway.  I clicked on FTX Day Lights and that problem solved itself but the black buildings were still present.  I clicked on FTX Night Lights and that didn’t do anything. 

If I open FTX Central Scenery Library Insertion Points, immediately above the default Edwards_AFB, I have the orange FTX, above that the blue OLC, above that I have numerous 3rd party add-ons, and at the top at number 1 is the green OZx.

I have my scenery settings as recommended by FTX Australia, with the exception of Autogen Density.  I have it at Very Dense.  It makes no difference to the black buildings if it’s at Normal.

I’ve re-installed both FTX Australia and Cairns but it made no difference. 

I have now run out of ideas and suggestions from previous posts on the same topic.  Are you able to give me some new advice on how to get rid of this frustrating faulty scenery?  I would’ve posted a picture but my computer skills don’t go that far.  I see ORBX have a guide on how to; perhaps I should read it.

Regards

Bruce R 

FSS0433947, FSS0431189, FSS0430665, FSS0390172, FSS0368284, FSS0291683, FSS0245997, FSS0233831, FSS0212424, FSS0194579, FSS0189310, FSS0188123, FSS0175462, FSS0146908, FSS0116934, FSS0114839, FSS0109868, FSS0109453, FSS0102791, FSS0102567, FSS0080300, FSS0064598, FSS0025888, FSS0014835, FSS0006590

• Tim Harris changed the title to Black Buildings (again) [YBCS Cairns]

G'day Bruce,

A screenshot or two would be very useful to ascertain whether the problem is related to the the Cairns coverage area, the AU region or both. 

By the sounds of your very thorough list, you have tried almost everything I would otherwise suggest. I am interested to hear though that the FTX_Day_Lights app made a difference; our latest updates for YBCS and AU Green should remove any remaining elements that called on this app. You can check the version numbers and dates for your products by opening the corresponding text files from Flight Simulator X/ORBX/User Documents. 

Next up, try editing the insertion points so that all your other 3rd party sceneries sit below the ORBX products. There may be a potential clash with another product, this will be worth checking out. 

Following this (if it doesn't yield a result), make sure your FTX-Central v2 is set to Oceania again, then download and unzip the attachment (link below), and drop the two files into your Flight Simulator X/texture folder, replacing files of the same name. 

Lastly, if that doesn't work, could you please send a diagnostic report via FTX-C v2 (Settings>Troubleshooting>Start Diagnostic Report) and let us know your report number.

Cheers,

Jarrad

YBCS AGN Houses.zip

The version numbers I'm working with are;

YBCS V1.2

Libs 151108

FTX Green Aug 2009

FTX Australia SP4.003 Nov 2013

FTX Global Base Pack 1.4

I changed the insertion points as suggested.  OZu now at number 1, OLC number 2, and FTX number 3.  I didn't check to see if all other sceneries are still working.  I presume they are. After opening up FSX/Cairns, nothing has changed.

I inserted the two files you gave me.  It surprised me when I wasn't asked to overwrite them.  Does that mean anything to you?  There was a slight difference.  Rather than have black blobs, the buildings now appear to have sides, but still have black roofs.     

I took the time and read How to Attach Screenshots.  Hopefully I have been able to attach some screenies for you.

I've entered a Diagnostic Report.  Number is;    ot380d4adfc0d99b576171997fa00038bb

Bruce R

North of YBCS.jpg

Also North of the airport.jpg

Heading over Cairns city.jpg

G'day Bruce, 

Thanks for the information and screenshots. I've attached the roof textures - unzip then drop these into the same Flight Simulator X/texture folder, and this should fix the black roof issue for you. This will fix your problem at Cairns, but a bigger problem is the fact that you don't have those textures there to begin with, as they are core components of FSX and the AU regions, so should be there (in some form) irrespectively. This might be a general issue with your installation; make sure you have your antivirus and Win10 security settings to allow the modification of files within you FSX folder (especially during installation of all ORBX products and ORBX libraries), I suspect this may be what your general problem is. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

YBCS Roof Textures.zip

Those files more of less did the trick.  North of YBCS is perfect. There's still a few black roofs over the city but I can live with those.  It's a huge improvement on what it was.  Thanks a lot for your help.  

I've thrown is two screenies of the city.  Those are the only black roofs left, and as I said, I can live with them.

Regards

Bruce R

Cairns CBD.jpg

Over Cairns.jpg

Archived