ORBX freeware NA airports pack questions

MarioR

HI, I have FTX Global with Vector installed on P3D v2.5.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need any of the FTX NA terrains software in order to properly see the airports included in the NA Airports pack ? (I mostly fly in the Eastern / Central parts of Canada).

2. I have noticed that there are some airports like CYHZ (Halifax Int'l Airport) in the NA Airports pack. I also have a payware airport scenery of Halifax already installed in P3D. Since the NA Airport pack install all its included airports at once, what will happen to my payware airport scenery ?

3. Is there a way of installing only the wanted airports in the NA Airport pack ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mario 

You don't require the NA regions as the freeware airports are outside the regions (Airports are included in the regions with about the same level of detail as the freeware airports.)

All airports are installed from a single installer. In most cases the payware airport should delete all underlying sceneries if it is placed above the freeware airports in you scenery.cfg file. If the freeware airport still causes a problem you can go into the Flight Simulator X/Orbx/FTX_GLOBALl/FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS/Scenery file and delete the entries for the freeware airport.

There should be 3 - ADE_FTX_FTXG_CYHZ.bgl, ADE_FTX_FTXG_CVL_CYHZ.bgl and FTX_FTXG_CYHZ_objects.bgl.

And with the new Alaska-Canada North America Landclass on sale at FSS try it with the airports as it greatly improves Canada outside the regions and works well with Global, Vector and the freeware airports.

Larry

Hello Mario,

for 1., no. You don't need anything else. The Freeware FTX Global Airports are designed for FTX Global and Vector. Although not required, you can buy FTX Global openLC NA Alaska/Canada in order to see more realistic landscapes surrounding the airports (as Larry said above).

For 3., no. But after the installation has finished, you can uninstall the airports you don't want to have. Here's how:

For 2., nothing happens to your payware. The installer will do two things: First, create a subfolder located somewhere in your ORBX folder (as Larry pointed out for FSX) and second, make an entry in your scenery library. The subfolder will contain three files for each Freeware FTX Global Airport (as Larry explained). Each file has the corresponding airport's ICAO code in its name, for example the code for Halifax is CYHZ. You can find these three files by typing the ICAO code in Windows Explorer's search bar. Deleting the three files for any airport will remove the freeware scenery.

Also remember to install the latest Orbxlibs after installing other FTX scenery.

That's it. If you have questions remaining, just ask us!

Greetings,

Bermuda425

There will be soon the new  FTX SCA Southern California region available. I have recognized, that there are freeware airports in the FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS folder within this upcoming FTX area. Furthermore the freeware airports are located with a higher priority vs. the region packs in the Orbx scenery lib partition by default.

How to ensure no doubled airport-sceneries within the region? Is there a list where the freeware airports within each FTX region pack are shown to ease airport de-activation?

Is there an (for me unknown) automated process for this? To manually relocate the freeware airport folder ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS below all Orbx FTX entries (lower priority)?

Wulf

44 minutes ago, wulfbindewald said:

There will be soon the new  FTX SCA Southern California region available. I have recognized, that there are freeware airports in the FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS folder within this upcoming FTX area. Furthermore the freeware airports are located with a higher priority vs. the region packs in the Orbx scenery lib partition by default.

How to ensure no doubled airport-sceneries within the region? Is there a list where the freeware airports within each FTX region pack are shown to ease airport de-activation?

Is there an (for me unknown) automated process for this? To manually relocate the freeware airport folder ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS below all Orbx FTX entries (lower priority)?

Wulf

The Southern California installer will delete those Global freeware airports to avoid issues and removed from the Global pack as well.

1 hour ago, Ed Correia said:

The Southern California installer will delete those Global freeware airports to avoid issues and removed from the Global pack as well.

Ed, the current installer from the freeware page does right now still include the California airports, right?

Archived