Incorrect Seasonal Textures?

samtheeagle

Hi,

Having recently purchased FTX Global Base, Vector and the European and North America openLC products I have been enjoying the fantastic new look of FSX:SE.

However, whilst flying last night I spotted a few issues with textures that appears to be plain wrong. I tried a couple of flights from European airports to check out the new scenery, Liege and Munich, and both areas exhibited a mix up of tiles. Both Fall and Winter seasons lead to a mix of textures which looked very unrealistic, some snow covered areas, and some not, some parts of rivers frozen, with a sharp line to free flowing water again. The two seasons seem to have  random merge of texture tiles which just looks wrong, snow doesn't just fall in a single field with a nice straight edge...

One other possible issue was around Santa Clara California, where overall the textures are great, no seasonal issue obviously apparent, but I do get a couple of large square tiles that stick out like a sore thumb compared to the general natural look and blending of the rest of the scenery.

All of the downloaded files passed an md5sum test, so I assume it's not a corruption issue. These were installed into a fresh install of FSX:SE, and I'm 99% certain that I've never had a separate FSX install on my current machine.

Screenshots of the issues from my steam account

If anyone can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it. The products are amazing, but this issues are quite off putting. Is there any way I can verify all of the files are in the correct locations etc?

Hi there,

the odd juxtaposition between hard-winter and mild-winter landclass tiles is due to the default seasons control file, meaning it's present whether Orbx Global products are installed or not; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/86437-season-transition-problems/

Some of your other screenshots show frozen rivers; if you don't like how they are portrayed in Global Vector you can turn off this feature in the Vector control panel.

Whatever issue you have in Santa Clara CA would be due to either default or third-party landclass files as the currently available first part of our North America openLC product is limited to Canada and Alaska.

Cheers, Holger

Many thanks Holger, a nice and simple explanation :) Cheers for the tip regarding the frozen rivers, but I guess if I set the date such that it's fully Winter or not then everything will be uniform and look ok.

I hadn't even realized that the openLC NA product didn't extended down that far yet! I picked it up due to the great price, and how impressed I was with the other products, I should read the blurb more carefully!

Thanks again,

Guy.

Archived