If I were to interview JV and the Orbx Developers

Kilstorm

I would enjoy reading a really good in depth interview from any and all of the Orbx team members From Beta Testers all the way up to JV. Some of the questions I would hope that would be asked would go like this:

It is a common phrase in business to "follow the money", since the beginning of Orbx what factors have been at play to fine tune what Orbx has become?  Meaning, have addon aircraft influenced scenery design over time? Has addon applications played a part?  Currently Orbx is strongly becoming a scenery developer who is known for smaller fields with character up to the regional sized airports...aside from the fact that the International sized airports take a considerable amount of development time and disc space, is it also a fact that there was a void in that area from other developers that Orbx fills?  Without naming names does Orbx have a feeling of direct competition?

With the creation of FTX Global and the idea that now addon scenery airports can be created outside of FTX regions, what are some of the deciding factors as to what and where should be the next FTXG addon airport? Is it available photo data and local photos, what would be considered as a challenging airport from the pilot point of view, the creative side of building and structures that could create the character of the field, does weather play a role which would also impact frames if the field was used with real weather?

Without naming names, does Orbx have addon scenery developers who are complimentary to their business model where its a you build this and I build that?

Are there areas of the world that Orbx would like to create scenery for but its uncertain if there would be a buyers demand for it? Has there been scenery that received a weak launch but overtime you see the sales grow from them?

Has Orbx has any surprises in seeing a product do better than expected or fall short of expected?

What would it take to revisit a region like NRM or CRM to create addition airport scenery for them? 

England was set to be a market area that Orbx was ready to go all in on but from my point of view based off of forum post, the demand was there in request but not products sold.  Was that because of the field types being made? Most in house EU airports for England were small strips that seem to work in the PNW but could it be what works good in one region doesnt work well in others?   

OrbxFlow's has brought life the scenery and over time we have seen is go from people to animals to insects to weather...are we nearing the end to what Orbx would like to create flows for or are there things that are still to come that will surprise the customers?

With the ability of P3Dv3 Avatar to explore scenery more, has any though been put into how to use that for new scenery? Like creating structures that must me walked around and cant be walk through like how the avatar reacts to the user plane? or being able to elevate the avatar like in an elevator or stairs? What about creating starting points inside buildings? Seeing the fuel pump stations in a different light where fuel triggers are done differently?

Whats the average time an addon lives in beta during testing?

How many addons are made by the development team actually visiting the location personally?  

I once read were FSX was created that would allow for scenery to be seen based on time. That if a user were to set the date at a certain month or year they could see one airport and if they changed the date they would see another?  Has Orbx ever considered doing a retro style airport from the golden age of flying?  Or an airport that evolves over time going back in time to present day?

If Orbx ever were to make a military base airport, would it veer strongly one way or the other on modern day or WWII type?

The 3d lighting found in FTXG looks amazing but does not fade in like trees and buildings in P3Dv2+, is this something that could be done?

These are just some of the questions I guess I would ask but if any of the Orbx team would like to reply to some of these questions, Im sure it would make for some good reading by the forum members.  

1 hour ago, neucoas said:

I missed that one, thank you for headsup, Neu ! Worth listening to, specially towards the end, John V's vision of finding new ways for the simpilot to interact with the OrbX environment.  P3D's "avatar" and the Accusim type of reporting are also strands of that vision and I really look forward to the day where I could have conversations with a CFI or a mechanic of the OrbX airport where I would have landed.

I like that Dominique.  Land and have a follow-me truck lead you to the GA parking ramp.  Then Bob gets out, comes up to your aircraft, and asks you if you need to refuel and if you want a rental car.  Then click on (or say) yes and the fuel truck arrives at your aircraft and a nice looking blonde drives up with your rental car,  You get in the car and drive to some POI in the area.  The possibilities are endless.

Noel

Archived