Default Scenery Corrupted?!?

DesteriaGaming

Hello all, (*NOTE: I use FSX:SE*)
I recently got FTX Global, and the FTX NA Airports, and I disliked it, so I uninstalled them. Immediately after, the only airports I could select were obscure airports in Alaska or Hawaii. I reinstalled FSX, and the same thing happened. I re-verified the game, it reinstalled some files, same thing happened. I then reinstalled the game COMPLETELY, and it happened again. I see the physical scenery files in the FSX\Scenery\0000...0001, etc., but FSX isn't seeing them. All it sees in the Scenery Library are the files that are composed of letters, i.e. NAMW, EURE, but only the numerical base files 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, and 0005 are recognized... I'm at a loss of what to do. Help!

It seems that you might have some remnant files that were not completely uninstalled.  If you already used the control panel to uninstall FTX Global and/or an uninstall via the FTX Global software, you might consider doing a system restore to a date prior to installing FTX Global.  I have no experience with FTX Global, but I've used the restore function with other programs that seemed to muck up my system and I couldn't fully uninstall the programs.  Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi Nick

Firstly I will apologize if it seems as though I am waffling on due to a life long disability I suffer from.

I remember it wasn't long ago you gave me some advice on repairing my ORBX software and I thank you for your sound advice,  but tragically for me,  I am about to throw my PC out the window!

After installing Windows 10 and having to install all my ORBX scenery for the ...  I've actually lost count of how many times I've had to install FSX and all my ORBX software,  and I'm not talking about one, two or even 10 products,  I'm talking about FTX Global, Vector, all Open LC products, and almost every region and airport. 

Now being an IT profession (not that I'm tooting my own horn,  it's just to let you know that I am software and hardware savvy ),  when it comes to installing software,  especially ORBX software, I have done it so many times I could do it with my eyes closed.  As an IT systems manager for a large corporation,    it's my part of my job to investigate and resolve conflicting problems with software by simply finding what OS files, drivers or application software are either corrupted or conflicting with other software.

The current problem I am experiencing is similar to the previous issue I had after installing Global Vector,  in which I lost half of my default scenery local areas. e.g  001

This time I am missing 008 through to 099 in the scenery library.  Although I have read that this is a healthy scenery. cfg file.  Should areas 008 to 099 exist within the scenery

library?  or is it normal to be missing these areas after installing ORBX Global scenery etc...

Now in saying this,  and I mean this without implying that ORBX software is crap,   but when ORBX products are working harmoniously without any conflicts,  it's the best FSX scenery software available on the market.  However,  it is also the most painful combination of software components to install out of any software that I have installed over the last 25 years working in the IT industry and as a general PC user at home.

When I had the previous issues after installing Global Vector,  as I mentioned above,  I had major issues where I was missing scenery library areas and basically scenery areas that were suppose to be land, we covered in sea.   This was because I was missing a huge chunk of scenery areas,  and I'm wondering if this is the same issue.  In the scenery library  008 to 099 is missing.  

One of your helpful team members,  spent some time trying to resolve the issue,  and his final recommendation was to reinstall FSX and all the ORBX scenery.   With all due

respect,  that was not the answer I was hoping for and I after doing so,  it made no difference whatsoever! 

The only way I resolved the issue was to reinstall windows and start from scratch,   simply because all of the individual ORBX products  don't come with an uninstaller,  and this is why there are so many issues when you try and reinstall ORBX products that are still in the windows operating system registry!  

It's really frustrating,  especially when I have spent roughly $1000 on ORBX products and I spend hours having reinstall all of my ORBX software numerous times,  download and install all updates,  read all the support documentation that is on these forums and on the web in general,  but still,  the only way I'm going to resolve this issue is to reinstall Windows.

When it comes to reinstalling windows,  it's bad enough having to reinstall all of my ORBX products,  but as a professional musician,  I am also using this very expensive PC for studio recording,  which means I have to reinstall over 600GB of virtual instruments and sequencing software which takes an additional 8 hours on top of the FSX and ORBX product installers.   This is no exaggeration Nick,  I use a product called Komplete by Native Instruments which comes on a USB hard drive because it's over 400GB of virtual

instruments,  then I have to update to latest versions etc,,,,, as well as the other software...

Please excuse me for venting my frustration,  and I hope you understand where I'm coming from,  but I hope ORBX are seriously thinking about developing uninstallers for each ORBX product sometime in the near future.  This will enable customers to do a clean install,  and hopefully it will eliminate any conflicting registry and corruption

issues with ORBX products.

Please pass this on to your team
Kind regards

Jason Rose

Hello Jason,

I attach a default FSX scenery.cfg file.

You can use this as a base on which to build your FTX scenery library entries.

Please go to ORBX\Scripts and run FTXConfigurator_VECTOR.exe.

This will add your Vector entries.

Then run  FTXConfigurator_OLC.exe.

This will add your OpenLC entries.

Then start FTX Central and with Global selected, click on Apply Group.

This will add entries for all your airports.

When you wish to fly in a region, select North America, Europe or Oceania and click on Apply Group.

This will add all the scenery library entries for your regions.

Scenery.zip

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jason,

When you wish to fly in a region, select North America, Europe or Oceania and click on Apply Group.

Scenery.zip

Thanks heaps Nick!  Sorry about the long winded message.  I will follow your instructions very carefully and let you know how I go!
:D

On 5/1/2016 at 9:22 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jason,

Scenery.zip

Hi Nick

I can't remember if the FTX_Configurator_OLC.exe is suppose launch as a control panel similar to one of the other FTX control panels, e.g Lights Tweak, Aero Control Panel etc...
When I click on the exe it virtually does nothing.
Since it's an executable file,  shouldn't it launch,  or does Is it automatically refresh the scripts without launching itself as an executable file that confirms that it has updated the scripts?

I followed the above instructions and it has not made one difference.   Only for overwriting my existing scenery cfg file and attempting to execute the FTX_Configurator_OLC,   I have

always used the same methods for launching ORBX scenery by making sure I use the correct settings in FTX Central, e.g Global, Oceania and North America etc. Update ORBX

Libraries,  as well as making sure that I update my Vector entries each time I install a new ORBX scenery product. 

If the FTX_Configurator_OLC could be the suspect exe, since it won't open,  does FTX_Configurator_OLC come with the FTX Global installer,  or do I obtain this elsewhere?

Thanks

Jason

Based on the assumption that you have FSX Boxed and not

FSX Steam Edition:

The relevant scenery.cfg file is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

Neither of the two configurators opens as a control panel, they each

add the scenery library entries for their respective products to the

scenery.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

FTX Central does not add these entries, the product installers do.

You can manipulate the OpenLC entry block with FTX Central.

On 7/1/2016 at 6:03 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Based on the assumption that you have FSX Boxed and not

FSX Steam Edition:

The relevant scenery.cfg file is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

Neither of the two configurators opens as a control panel, they each

add the scenery library entries for their respective products to the

scenery.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

FTX Central does not add these entries, the product installers do.

You can manipulate the OpenLC entry block with FTX Central.

That's right,  I have the boxed version of FSX and not the Steam version.
I thought that may have been the case with configurator!  

I have successfully installed FSX and ORBX products many times in the past by following the same installation procedures that's recommended by your ORBX team,  but

unfortunately this has happened twice now.

NOTE:  There is only one thing I'm concerned about,  and I'm wondering if this might be the culprit.   I have the original Australia GOLD DVD which installs the first version of FTX Central.  After installing this I would install all the service packs and updates for Australia Gold and then continue installing the products listed below.

FTX Global, Vector, Open LC etc....  in the order recommended by ORBX.

Is there any way of downloading a copy of the Australia GOLD download version and using my Invoice, Order and Registration number from FlightSim Store from my DVD version.

I'm wondering if this could be causing the issues.

I totally understand that it is difficult for you guys to speculate what has gone wrong with one's software,  especially when there are so many different software components and system registry issues that can cause issues like this with FSX and ORBX products,  and most importantly,  I am extremely appreciative of your assistance,  but if I can't get a hold of the latest download version,  then I will just have to start all over again, including reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows.

The last time I had a similar problem,  the only way I resolved the issue was to reformat my whole hard drive.   This was the only way to guarantee that I would be reinstalling all my FSX software  within a clean Windows registry.

I've always installed FTX on a dedicated hard drive whilst sharing the same OS as all my other applications,  but from now on,   I am going to partition my main drive and run two operating systems on it and use one of them as a dedicated OS for FSX. 

It's just to painful having to go through this annoying process of spending a couple of hours installing FSX and ORBX products and then finding out that there's an

installation problem,  and I'm pretty convinced it's got something to do with the installation process.

It could very well be something else that's in my Windows Registry that could be conflicting with the installation of FSX and the ORBX products.  

Incidentally,  before I start installing FSX and my ORBX products,  I even turn Windows Defender off and set User Accounts to never notify me, since sometimes these two settings in Windows can cause problems when installing a number of applications.

You should be able to log into your FSS account and purchase the dowload version of all of Australia for zero dollars at checkout, since you bought the DVD there. Have you installed FTX Central version 2 ?   Might help.

Sue

Thanks for the response Sue!  Yes I have both FTX Central and FTX Central 2.
When you install the original Australia GOLD DVD it install the FTX Central,  and this is the same with a lot of my earlier FTX add-ons.  When I install the more recent FTX add-ons I end up with FTX Central 2 as well. 

I have read in the past that it is not necessary to change the old FTX Central settings,  if you have changed the settings in FTX Central 2,  but I'm just curious to see if I download the latest installer of Australia Gold, and my New Zealand South Island which I also have on DVD,  whether or not this makes a difference since it won't be installing a early version of FTX Central.

Could the very first DVD release of Australia Gold be the culprit Nick?

No, I don't think so.

When you install the latest library version, FTX Central v2 is installed with it

and that should be used thereafter.

It doesn't matter if version 1 is subsequently installed, provided that the latest libraries are

re-installed at the end of the process.

Thanks Nick.

Oh well,  I will start over again with a fresh OS registry and see what happens. Instead of installing all my products starting with the FTX Global software,  I'll install all my products the way I had installed them when all the software worked without any issues,  by installing  Australia Gold,  New Zealand and my earlier software that uses the original version of FTX Central,  then I'll install Global, Vector etc...

When I purchased the Global and Vector software,  I had all my earlier FTX ORBX products already installed,  and then I installed the Global and Vector software on top it and everything was working fine.

The recent issues only occurred when I had to install all the software from scratch, including FSX,  and I followed the guide to installing ORBX products in the following order:

Global

Vector

Open LC etc.........

Archived