Orbx cannot find FSX

Hi, I've had no end of trouble trying to install ftx australia on my system over the last few weeks.

1) Initially a corrupt download of ftxAus

2) Unable to locate scenery.cfg error

3) Now orbx unable to locate fsx (i have tried the registry repair tool without success)

I have spent many hrs on forums on steam, here and elsewhere trying to solve these problems. 

I have looked at the fsx vs fsx-se issues others have had, and I have fsx-se folders that I can see on my system for the first time. 

I previously re-installed fsx-steam 5 or 6 times, deleting local content from the C drive, D drive (where my steam folders are), and deleting all fsx, simulator, orbx, ftx, etc files from the registry, and using ccleaner. 

I have looked at the previous post by the orbx team re fsx & fsx-se co-existence, however i am unable to find a co-existence key in my fsx-steam registry. I have looked at the suggested root in that post, and searched manually for it. Still not able to find it.

Could someone give me some advice about what to do?

I feel like I am continuously re-installing and deleting local content without making any ground. 

Thank you

Welcome,

I am not sure what to offer here, you seem to have tried all the solutions

but not been able to make any of them work.

Repeating them therefore would appear to be a little pointless.

Where are you now in terms of progress, such as what do you have

installed?

Are you using FSX Boxed and steam side by side?

If that is or was the case I found many thnigs that do not get installed in steam just because the FSX folders are different (Ej App data roaming Microsoft FSX-SE instead of FSX only, the same for all the others at program data, the FSX steam cfg is named FSX-SE.cfg).

I didnt install yet none orbx scenery on it, neither orbx airplanes, but for example, some Alabeo airplanes dont, the same for many modules.like netowrk bridge for ASNEXT, etc

To sort it out I renamed al the folders to "FSX" alone (I mean, the accesory folders at App data and program data) and downloaded the F1 FSX registry repair , pointing the App to FSX steam .exe.It figure at the registry that FSX steam is FSX boxed.

With that I was able to install all type of add ons as if it were FSX boxed.Those who still dont have explicit installers for FSX-SE.

One of the problems of addons is that they require to be present in the dll.xml text (that who ask  if you consider safe this or that module like fsuipc after launching FSX like addon manager from fsdreamteam) ORBX has many entries at that, for exmaple,  object-flow and many others, but right now I cant remember which ones were for orbx at my FSX Boxed dll.xml (at App data roaming Microsoft FSX).

I found only one addon that doesnt work by this way, realityxp gns and gauges cause it has memory dependencies, and it look specifically for FSX.exe boxed versión and api.dll. sim1.dll and other dll that has a different signature at main FSX folder. if you change those, steam wil not work,.

With this exception, I was able to install everything.

if I were you, first  I would not drive crazy, instaling and reinstalling App and disks.

if tyou have your FSX boxed install it again, and after it install steam. Then begin the process:

convert all steam App folders to FSX "alone" and point the FSX.exe to the registry as it it were MS FSX boxed. By this way you will let now any addon that steam is boxed, and each addon who needs to edit the.cfgs and dll.xml will do as always.

Other way to edit the dll.xml is manually with notepad, but sometimes gets corrupted.

Of course after installing get everything back to its normal names.

Should be no reason for this , specially for sceneries.

Hope it helps.

Mario

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your input. I have tried renaming the folders to fsx and registry repair tool but the installer is still not recognising the fsx directory. I am at a loss as to what to do now. The confusing thing is that I don't think I ever had fsx boxed installed on this pc. It is a new-ish computer...

Archived