Which card - oh the pain !!

chumley

Anyone care to comment on the value or otherwise of this card -Gigabyte GTX 285 1GB PCIe Video Card GTX285 at $519.

I was originally looking at this card - ASUS GTX 275 896MB PCIe Video Card GTX275  at $399

but now I'm confused as to which to select.

Aybe

Im looking at buying GTX 275 too and value wise its the best bang for buck and from all reports ive seen performs like the older GTX 280 as for the GTX 285 it will be slightly better in FSX as it has more ram and higher clocks but not worth the extra cash well thats my 2 cents anyway.

Make sure you get quality DDR2 RAM preferably 1066mhz, the ones I use are great there Kingston HyperX 1066 @5-5-5-15 4Gig and only $90, a good CPU cooler like Noctua or Thermalright and overclock the CPU, a fast HDD at least a 7200rpm with 32mb cache and a quality PSU. By the way where did you get the price on the GTX 275 its great value.

With your specs I'd go the 285 .. the extra VRAM will come in handy.

You don;t mention how much memory you have ... 3.5G (probably 4Gig) or Ram is ideal.  Anything more is unhelpful in a 32bit O/S.

I have a GTX280 ... I would buy a GTX285 right now if I was buying a card at the moment.

Make sure you get quality DDR2 RAM preferably 1066mhz, the ones I use are great there Kingston HyperX 1066 @5-5-5-15 4Gig and only $90, a good CPU cooler like Noctua or Thermalright and overclock the CPU, a fast HDD at least a 7200rpm with 32mb cache and a quality PSU. By the way where did you get the price on the GTX 275 its great value.

Computer Alliance in Brisbane

Aybe

The 'which card' pain just got worse.

I emailed my supplier and asked if my current case would be Ok as it appeared the GTX275 or GTX285 would not fit. This was confirmed and they have suggested an ANTEC 900 Two. Anyone got any comments on what would be a suitable case?

This is all getting a bit hard and the confusion is turning me off the idea of upgrading.

Thanks

Aybe

Most modern tower cases will fit the GTX its the cheaper el'cheapo ones that may have trouble. Go for either the Antec ones as you said or the Thermaltake, Coolermaster, Silverstone it just depends what you want to spend but the upgrade would be worth your while.

Hi

I use a Cosmos computer case myself.  Plenty of room,4 fans including front fan in hard drive bay and huge side panel fan.  The unit is extremelly quiet to run and you will never run out of room in it, because of its size the running temp of my pc has come down quiote appreciablly

Ken

Archived