Unable To See Buildings In Most Of My Scenery Areas

Graeme

Hi guys,

For some time now I have lost most of the buildings in my scenery, every where US EU Aus NZ etc., very odd indeed..Usually seen as flat black shapes. All other details show up OK including Aircraft

My display is on a Matrox 3 screen set up at1280 x 1024 (3 x1), 32 bit 60 Hz

I have tried using correct insertion points

A point to note is that in the scenery library all of my Orbx etc. are listed but all of the original Microsoft folders are missing ( not showing) but the scroll down space and numbers are there.

Some where a setting or two must be corrupted.

I have had along break from the sim due to poor health and now that I have revisited it just want to fly low and slow over all of  my magic Orbx locations and not start a fresh install

Any help and wise ideas would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Graeme

Hello Graeme,

Sorry to hear you have had a rough patch with your health will try to help but no promises though, this is an unusual problem and sounds like it may need some surgery. (I may be out of my depth on this one, as far as how to remedy without FSX repair or reinstallation). It does not sound like a simple regfix.

This is the first time I have heard of FSX being able to start effectively where these core folders are missing, let alone show Orbx scenery minus the stock library objects & autogen, they actually make up the base world upon which Orbx proudly displays.  They obviously were there at one time, because you have been able to install Orbx and fly FSX in the past.

• Just to be sure are you saying that you are missing the core FSX Scenery Folders from your FSX scenery Library, as shown in the list below, but still see all of your Orbx FTX entries listed with a blank space below where the core folders should be listed.
  • Have you checked for the existence of these folders in your FSX installation, located in your FSX root "Scenery" folder.
  • Are the corresponding Texture folders present.
  • Do you have a "scenery.cfg"  located  in C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and are the core scenery folders listed.
  • Have you moved your FSX installation from the original install location or if on a separate HDD did you move it to a new location at any time.
  • Are you running your sim from the Administrator login.

1294428d69fc541ae622a303a5447f81.jpg

Hi Graeme,

Just a quick amendment to my last post, the actual location for the "Active" scenery.cfg

is located in this folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX. Could you check this location instead of

C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Open it with notepad -

check for all the core Folders/layers  [Area.001] = Default Terrain - through [Area.120] = Edwards_AFB 

they should match the ones in the list above.

Thank you Jeff and SniperNT,

I will answer each item in point form

1. Yes I have the latest library

2. Yes I appeared to be missing the scenery folders as listed in your one above

3.The folders appear to be OK and most seem to have texture folders although I made random checks

4.I eventually found the scenery.cfg file

All seem to be there and among other things there are a couple of back up's listed in the .cfg folder. I am very tempted to go back to one of these and see what happens.

However I thought it would be prudent to seek you further advice before taking that step.

It is wonderful that it is possible to go onto the forum with your problems and to receive an immediate response.

Thank you both again

Cheers,

Graeme

Further to my above reply on close examination of the current scenery.cfg compared to some of the back up entries seem to be corrupted in that they often don't have a title= 0018 Base eg.,

[Area.009]

Title=

Local=Scenery\0004

Layer=9

Active=TRUE

Required=True

Original backup

[Area.009]

Title=0006 Base

Local=Scenery\0006

Layer=9

Active=TRUE

Required=False

This type of change is rather common

Your further advice please

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your report, on the status of the  (active  scenery.cfg) and the presence of the core folders.

Just to confirm also, are we talking about (FSX-boxed version) or (FSX:SE DTG) I know little to naught about SE DTG version and its folder structure.

1. Yes I have the latest library

Great you have this updated but does not quite explain why your core folders are invisible in the FSX Scenery library

2. Yes I appeared to be missing the scenery folders as listed in your one above

Ok this confirms core Folders/files are not being loaded for some reason. or Have been deactivated by Administrator permission attributes.

Could you right click your FSX installation folder and click Properties, then in General Tab uncheck the blue Attributes Read Only box > click Apply > click OK in the following dialog > wait for process to complete > click OK in Properties tab when finished.

3.The folders appear to be OK and most seem to have texture folders although I made random checks

This is Good and shows that at least the folders are actually present.  You are quite right not all these folders will have a Texture folder most only have a Scenery folder.

4.I eventually found the scenery.cfg file

Excellent sorry bout that, reposted @4:07am when I realised I gave you the wrong location.

All seem to be there and among other things there are a couple of back up's listed in the .cfg folder. I am very tempted to go back to one of these and see what happens.

OK, well it appears that you have an active  scenery.cfg  containing all the layers for your core Folders, and you have still got your Core folders within the Scenery folder of your FSX installation.

Try the Admin Permissions Read only Attributes process discussed above, but please don't use one of the backup scenery.cfg. as I have just read your #6 post while typing this, clearly the backup is corrupt and potentially the active one is corrupt as well. Would it be possible to copy then attach your scenery.cfg  as zip or .txt  or use the forum edit button "Special BBCode" "Media option" to copy in Notepad then paste the entire contents of your scenery.cfg  exactly. 

I'll have a look through your scenery.cfg, see If I can find any error/s it may take me a little while to examine and compare will report back if it seems clear.

Hopefully the permissions thing will get the entries resolved within your FSX Scenery library.

Hi Jeff,

I am working with the boxed set.

Followed your suggestion re attributes but made no change to display.

Below is a copy of my scenery.cfg file for your comment,the only way I could find was to copy and paste it

I look forward to your comments

Cheers

Graeme=====================================================================================================================================================================

Hello Graeme,

It looks as if that scenery.cfg is entirely broken.

I attach a default scenery.cfg file which you can download,

unzip and rename to scenery.cfg.

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and copy and paste it into

that folder, allowing it to overwrite the broken one that's there.

You might also go to

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

and your main FSX folder and copy the same scenery.cfg file into each location,

again allowing it to overwrite the one that's there.

Then go to ORBX\Scripts where you will find FTXConfigurator_OLC.exe.

Right click on this and select Run as Administrator.

Nothing much will be seen but it will add the OpenLC entries to the scenery.cfg.

Then start FTX Central, select Global and click on Apply Group.

This should write all the FTX entries into the scenery.cfg I have sent you.

From there, you should be able to select whatever region you wish and

the required entries will be added.

This may not solve the missing buildings issue but it will sort out the scenery library.

sceneryDEFAULT.zip

Hi Jeff,

I am working with the boxed set.

Followed your suggestion re attributes but made no change to display.

Below is a copy of my scenery.cfg file for your comment,the only way I could find was to copy and paste it

I look forward to your comments

Cheers

Graeme=====================================================================================================================================================================

Hi Graeme,

I'm inclined to agree with Nick, your scenery.cfg is totally broken. Having copied the text from your #8 post before Nick kindly condensed and zipped it up. I was well into looking through the contents of the 511 entries, only a small percentage of them were actually complete, every core entry including all your Orbx FTX entries were incomplete. FTX OLC entries were completely in the wrong order. There were so many other entries Addon's that usually reside above FTX & OZx that I was unable to determine what title to apply to them as I do not know their Folder names.

Interestingly most of all if you look at the entries 378 onwards to 511 they are duplicate complete entries which actually include the Title line, of those found at position 121 onwards to position 252.

Because the scenery.cfg is so large, and is corrupt in so many areas I have abandoned editing/correcting the format and missing entries, in favour of Nicks suggestion.

I am struggling to find a reason for the missing entries in the Title= ???? ??? ???, line for nearly all entries in the scenery.cfg but a small few.

At this stage I would go with Nick Cooper's recommendation in post #11.

See how you go, it may require you to check any entries that are out of order with FTXCentral  "Insertion Points", although FTXC should automatically rectify most if not all by cycling Global, Europe, North America, Oceania, clicking "Apply group" each time .

(I have my fingers crossed for the best possible outcome) because, Rebuilding / Reinstalling is no fun at all.

If this fails to recover your scenery.cfg in a way that resolves your other missing elements, ie; your topic title "Unable To See Buildings In Most Of My Scenery Areas" then there may be corruption elsewhere in your FSX setup.

It may well be time to think seriously about rebuilding your sim.

Please let me know how you get on.

Jeff and Nick,

I methodically followed the steps you each outlined AND Yes I have buildings every where. I have

only tested a couple of locations US and AU. I will continue trying other location but on the evidence

the problem seems to be fixed. Congratulations are in order to you both.

I will keep you posted as to how I am going

How do the files eg., scenery.cfg get so corrupted for future reference?

Thanks also to the Forum which enabled this to happen

Cheers and many thanks,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

That is brilliant news indeed, couldn't be happier for you. Credit to Nick his suggestion was a life saver. Hope things continue on a positive from now on.

As to the reason for the corruption, (this is just my opinion) quite possibly one of the other Addon sceneries (non Orbx of course) that you have installed that utilised an installer may have failed to correctly write the new entries completely to your scenery.cfg before making a backup. Most likely why the Title=  lines were not applied to the many duplicate entries, and there they stayed to cause your buildings problem. The scenery.cfg  in its correct format and ordering is an extremely important part of displaying every element in the Sim.

One thing I would like to suggest for peace of mind, once you are satisfied all is well, is a backup of all your critical sim folders and the FSX main folder, that way recovery will be less traumatic if corruption occurs again.

Archived