ORBx Lights

Christopher Low

I have a problem with ORBx street lights. They appear like bright blobs at a distance (and switch on one after the other), and then switch to much smaller and fainter lights as I approach (when I am in the air). Is there a way to switch the lights off? The "bright blobs" and "switching on and off" looks very unrealistic. I get this with the yellow street lights in FTX EGHI Southampton, and also the white street lights in FTX Northern Ireland. The latter results in a narrow "ring" of lights a certain distance from my plane. Strangely, the main highway lights in FTX Northern Ireland do not seem to suffer from this. Are they a different type?

Hi there,

the 3D light points associated with the Global Base or FTX Regions landclass textures are part of their autogen system (trees, technically speaking) and thus their display range is determined by your autogen slider settings and the overall LOD_Radius value in FSX/P3D.cfg. There's no option to deactivate them. In addition, Vector and FTX Regions have 3D lights associated with the road vectors themselves, which can be deactivated in FTX Central (as vector autogen can have more of an fps impact than lights placed as "trees").

I'm not sure about the cause of your display issue, especially the bit about them showing up individually very bright and then dimming. I assume you've experimented with our 3D Lights Configurator tool (FTX Central v2, Settings > Tools)? Normally, tree autogen gets filled in in larger groups (batches) rather than individually. That "popping" can be quite obvious with the lights but it depends on your zoom level and, as mentioned, LOD_Radius. I've never heard of lights being displayed brighter in the distance than at close range though.

I assume we're talking FSX not P3D? In the latter you can deactivate autogen trees separately from buildings; also, P3D has a somewhat different general lighting "engine" so HDR settings can come into play.

Cheers, Holger

I use P3D v2.4. Deactivating autogen trees is not what I want to do, so it seems that I have an unsolvable problem. When you say "experimented" with the 3D Lights Configurator Tool, what do you mean? I know that I can switch some lights on or off, but I am not aware that anything else can be done.

Hi Christopher,

I meant testing different settings, like overall size, brightness etc. From your description it sounds like the normal distance/brightness correlation is somewhat reversed -- possibly due to P3Dv2.4's HDR or other display settings or graphics drivers -- so perhaps some of the available options work better than others. Check out the configurator menu, the options are pretty self-explanatory; here's the link to the original release thread: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/76904-orbx-ftxg-lights-configurator/

Cheers, Holger

Archived