KSTS - Shimmering/Flickering Night Lighting

jase439

Hello.

I was shooting a few touch and goes during late dusk into KSTS earlier today and noticed that the blue edge lighting for the runway and taxiways exhibits a rather dizzing shimmer/flickering as I circled the airport at pattern altitude (blue pixels winking in and out seemingly at random). The effect was not observable near or on the ground and seems to be an LOD-related issue as the flickering occurs only after the aircraft is a certain distance from the field. Also of note: no other textures exhibit this behavior - only the night lighting. I haven't experienced this phenomenon at other airports that I am aware of and wondered if this was normal?

I am running FSX-SE w/ DirectX 10 under Windows 8.1 w/ a GTX980.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

I do use Steve's Dx10 Fixer (v2.9). Haven't noticed any other anomalies to speak of really. DX10 ground shadows don't work with most Orbx sceneries but this is a well-documented issue. This is the first time I've seen this phenomenon on any Orbx or other scenery (it's also the first time I've flown KSTS at dusk though too).

Have you tried toggling the various Fixer settings with respect to lights? Also - try the "Scenery/Aircraft" slider set all the way to "Scenery". I doubt that either of these suggestions will do it ... but check the (new) "Twinkling" lights setting in case you've played with that (also unlikely)!

Adam.

EDIT: Don't forget to dump/rebuild your shader cache after changing settings ;)

Twinkling lights is disabled. Scenery compatibility is full to the left as well (Full Scenery).

Still have significant shimmering. Also of note (but perhaps unrelated) is the strobe beacons on the approach lighting to 32 are just flashing white squares.

FSX, Dx10 Fixer with default settings.

Your screen shot of approach lights.

There is a guide on how to post screen shots here

KSTSApproachLighting32.jpg

I think this is the same place, if so, the lights are facing away and should cast no light

towards the "camera".

approachlights.jpg

The same approach lights from the other direction

approachlights2.jpg

An overview of the airport

airport.jpg

I would suggest that you visit the legacy page in the Direct X 10 fixer and set everything back to default.

This is not a legacy airport and legacy compatible settings can wreak havoc with FSX native software.

If you have not already, please convert your effects.

Misha/Nick,

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the following without success:

* Resetting DX10 Fixer Legacy from "Scenery" (Full Left) to "Balanced" (Centered/Default)

* Reprocessing the Lights/Effects in DX10 Fixer

* Manual uninstallation of KSTS followed by reinstallation of KSTS

* Installing latest ORBX libs (September 1, 2015)

* Toggling between Global/Hybrid and North America in FTX Central

I continue to have an issue with the strobe transparency on the approach lighting to 32 (direction doesn't seem to matter - the problem is apparent looking toward or away from 32). Is this strobe texture part of the scenery or an FX? Which one?

Thanks for the help.

J

I could duplicate the strange KSTS texture prob mentioned above in DX10 if the file "fx_2_orbx_PAHO.bmp" (!) in the FSX/Effects/texture folder is missing. This prob has been already highligthed here in mail #1  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100502-ksts-no-rotating-light-on-the-airport-tower/?hl=ksts

Under the assumption that there is no file "fx_2_orbx_PAHO.bmp" in your FSX/Effects/texture folder maybe because you don´t have PAHO Homer scenery, then there is a simple workaround for KSTS:

1) Go into your FSX/Effects folder and find the file   fx_2_orbx_KSTS.bmp

2) Make a simple 1:1 copy and rename this file to  fx_2_orbx_PAHO.bmp

3) Copy both files 1) and 2) into the FSX/Effects/texture folder

I hope this helps for now and I hope this hickup can be corrected in a future patch....

Wulf

Archived