Unrealistic textures in Spitzbergen/Svalbard

mopperle

Found that spread around Svalbard/Spitzbergen there is an extremly unrelaistic placment of textures. Looking at the kind of textures it seems to me that they are caused by FTX Global:

spitzbergen.jpg

Installed in that are FTX Global, FTX Vector, OpenLC EU and FTX Norway, although i'm not sure whether the last two cover at all this area. Also it makes no difference whether FTXCentral is set to Global (Hybrid) or FTX EU.

Also there are far too many trees placed. FTX vector (coastlines!) should also be improved in that area, but this might not be possible due to the lack of data.

And to make it clear:

Spitzbergen is ice, stones and maybe some tundra like vegetations, but no tress, no bushes or something like that and except of Longyearbyen, Ny Alesund, Barentsburg, Pyramiden and Sveagruva there or no settlements or houses like in the above screenshot.

Hi Otto,

actually, neither FTX Norway nor openLC EU includes the Svalbard (Spitsbergen) islands and Vector only changes the coastline and adds a few streams. Thus, you're looking at the default FSX landclass files that appear to be calling improper FTX Global textures. I've asked Eugene (openLC developer) to look into adding basic landclass coverage with the next openLC EU update; no promises though.

Does the recently released Aerosoft add-on for Svalbard-Longyear X add enhanced landclass for the islands? If not perhaps the Flightsim.no group has freeware files available?

As mentioned on the FTX Norway product page it was indeed the poor source data that made us decide to not include the archipelago; doesn't look like the Vector developers had much luck either with shoreline data.

Cheers, Holger 

Thanks Holger,

Aerosoft's Svalbard comes with some phototextures for the airport and its s surrounding area, custom buildings for Longyearbyen and excludes any vegetation in that arera. That's it.

And as FTX vector also causes some problems, it needs to be turned off in that area.

I've no idea, where Stefan gets his data for FTX Vector, as there is excellent material (and most of it free like hires topographical maps) available from the Norwegian Polarinstitut.

http://www.npolar.no/en/services/maps/ and http://geodata.npolar.no/#basemap-data

Archived