PAJN - "that old sinking feeling..."

paulrunge

I have downloaded-installed-uninstalled-downloaded -installed 2X and I still have the same problem.  Buildings and infrastructure are looking good, but Runways have massive sink holes large enough to hold a Cessna Mustang, and about 15 feet deep.  The water landing area is a mash up of different elevations.

I ran Vector Configure utility, but don't actually see PAJN on either side?  By contrast, PAEN looks and works just fine.

Any ideas on what to do?  I am sure I have forgotten to set something...

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

if you search our payware support forum for PAJN there are quite a few threads coming up that might be helpful. For example,

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/99156-pajn-elevation-problem/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/78291-pajn-flattening/

If none of those apply run a search of your harddrive for .bgl files with the *PAJN* keyword and post the results here, ideally as a screenshot with full file name and folder paths.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger.

After all these years of FS I should know how to do this, but humor me and show me the querrie to search for all BGL files containing "PAJN".  I apparently haven't the skill set to figure out that limiting a search!

I am truly disaapointed that loading a $25 piece of add-on (like KJAC, PAEN, etc) to an exquisite ORBX-FTX global suite is so dang complicated.  I mean, it should be pay the money, press install, and BINGO!  But it seldom is.  And the questions requiring answers to get support are staggering to the average hobbyist like me...the links you provided were not much help <for me>.

In any event, I will try to get you what you need to help make this right.

Thanks.

Hi Paul,

if you've been around FSX for awhile you should already be aware that it's pretty much impossible in such an open system, with an almost limited amount of possible add-on combinations, to offer "BINGO" add-ons.

Most likely you have another add-on for PAJN active that uses the default PAJN altitude, which, incorrectly, is set to 3ft, meaning the issue isn't actually with Orbx. If you don't know which entry in your scenery menu might contain that add-on then the easiest approach is to search for scenery files (which all use the .bgl extension) with the airport's ICAO as part of its name. 

Open a Windows Explorer window and point it to your FSX harddrive. If you don't know how to do that type "Computer" into the Windows Start menu search menu and click on the "Computer" program with the PC icon, which will open a new Explorer window. Select View > Details to ensure that the search will be in list format. 

In the top right corner is the search menu; into it type "PAJN.bgl" and wait for the search to complete. Once complete you should be able to sort the result by "Folder". What you're looking for are files that are outside the \Orbx\ subfolders as they may indicate the location of the conflicting add-on.

You probably don't want to type the results by hand so the better method is to take a screenshot of the search results and then post them here; an example is this post: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74843-two-layer-main-runway-at-nzqn/?p=690129

The alternative is to temporarily deactivate all third-party add-on folders in your scenery library menu to cross-check whether it really is a conflict with a third-party add-on. Keep in mind that some add-ons may be located in the generic "Addon Folder" and that some AI traffic add-ons also include airport elevation files.

How to post screenshots: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

Many thanks for your help and patience.  You have always been very helpful to all of us over the years as we struggle with FSX!  It is appreciated, and ORBX has a great culture of customer support.  Makes that 25 bucks worth every penny!

When I looked at those BGL's, I realized that my PAJN install couldn't possibly be complete and then discovered that I had incorrectly unzipped the downloaded base file.  All the rest is now completely understandable.  Removed all, re-installed, unzipped properly - all is looking perfect now.

I have learned over the years that, at least in my case, it is almost always operator error!  But I learned a few things from this excercise, so another benefit!

There is a virtual glass to Cabernet awaiting you at Taku Lodge!

Paul

Archived