FTX Global

Brett Nicholls

Hi Guys, discovering that I may have had FTX Global not install correctly, because i saw the words " Spring" on the ground when flying in Peru, also was told this in the forums, I tried to reinstall Global. I may have mucked up the uninstall because, when trying to reinstall Global it wont go past the wrapper. The wrapper does its thing but the install box will not show up. Have left for quite a few minutes but no show. Please help Thanks.

Brett

Also in the Control Centre it still shows basic instead of Global.

Sometimes this is caused by a lack of free space on the C: drive

and/or in the assigned temp folder.

Sometimes there is an undue delay because antivirus software is

checking everything.

Anti virus software can be temporarily disabled.

Free HDD space may have to be created.

Hi ok the free space is an issue because I only have about 5 gig spare on the C drive. I did change the swap file to a different drive but that didnt help. If indeed that the C drive does need 10 gig spare i may have to move some stuff off the drive. How come it doesnt use RAM or search other drives to use for the install. Brett

Hi Brett,

The swap file and temp file are different - if your temp file is still on the almost-full drive, that may well give you problems.  As might the swap file, for that matter.

Go to Start->Computer->Properties, then Advanced System Settings->Advanced->Environment Variables, and see in User Variables what temp is set to.  You can change that to a different drive.

If the almost-full drive is your system one, that may cause other problems too, as Windows does all sorts of stuff on the fly.  It's best to leave a reasonable amount free, say 5% min.

When creating files, it would be normal for Windows to create temporary files rather than using memory, as it can't be relied on to have a contiguous chunk of spare memory on different systems.  The temp (or tmp) directory is the normal place to use.

Hi ok the free space is an issue because I only have about 5 gig spare on the C drive. I did change the swap file to a different drive but that didnt help. If indeed that the C drive does need 10 gig spare i may have to move some stuff off the drive. How come it doesnt use RAM or search other drives to use for the install. Brett

FYI, Brett, the swap file can only be assigned to your C drive, assuming that's your system drive, that is.

Stew

Check with Microsoft--I seem to remember the swap file is only available on the system drive, nowhere else.  He may think he switched the swap file to another drive, but, I could be wrong, of course.  Maybe with Win7 & 8 it's ok to do so, and previous Windows versions that wasn't the case--thinking of XP, anyway.

Edit to correct myself:  There are indeed ways to locate the swap file on a different drive other than one's system drive.  It used to be true that you might be able to coax a little more speed out of that extra HDD, but with today's HDDs and their faster access speeds, there doesn't seem to be any point.  I'm no techie, by any means, so, as always, ymmv.

Stew

Hi thanks for the replys..Definitely the hard drive size. I did think about changing the Temp file location but ended up deleting some big Orbx scenary zip files I had. It is now reinstalling Global as I type this out. I should have taken more notice of the Red box in the FTX Central. Cheers guys.

Brett

Archived