Has anyone ever made there own thermal paste?

Ziggy

Hello all,

First off I "DO NOT" recommend to make your own thermal paste unless you are a scientist :)

I decided to clean my radiator out for the first time in 3 years (wasn't that dusty but why not right) so I disassembled the cooler took the heat sink off of the CPU.........uh ohh, I didn't have any thermal paste to reapply when I put it all back together.

My Rig is coming to the end of its sim life and I am in the market for a major upgrade, I'm still running a 2700k @ 4.7ghz and it really does run fantastic but it's time to get Ready for P3D soon, so I decided to do some experiments with home made thermal paste. I used 75% Toothpaste (a smooth kind) and 25% Vaseline (found recipe through Google) mixed it and applied it and low and behold, it worked!! Core Temps were on the high side but not to bad, about 38c idle and 65c to 70c under load ( no OC) then I tried it OCed and it also worked!! (No stress test) higher core temps under load obviously (into mid 80s to low 90s)

I fired up FSX and loaded up the Citation 550 and KSTS and took a quick flight to see what would happen

The paste did an alright job, the highest core temp was 86c I have since reapplied some MX4 and the highest core temp under load was 71c and average was about low to mid 50s @4.7ghz (pretty good for a 3 year old cpu running between 4.5 and 4.8 for its whole life.

Just for fun, has anyone else made there own thermal paste or anything else that was out of the ordinary? :D

Have a great day/ night everyone :)

Add another new use for Vaseline.... when I was growing up in Cincinnati OH, we could pick up WLAC, a great 50k blowtorch of a radio station in Nashville, TN (this was night time listening). They had a program I used to hear sponsored by Randy's Records and White Rose Petroleum Jelly. I am not making this up. The disk jockey ran a regular contest asking listeners to write in with their suggestions on new ways to use White Rose. It was quite interesting for a boy of 16....back in the 1950s..... :-)

And, no, I have never made my own thermal paste, nor do I intend to try.

Home made thermal paste

Sounds like a major waste

But if you add some flavor

That I might savor

I guess I'd give it a taste.....

Sherm

Last thermal paste I bought was $4.  Don't reckon I'd risk it even as a trial unless I was planning on junking the hardware.  I just replaced my i7 920 but I expect to get a hundred dollars or more for the combo on eBay.

Last thermal paste I bought was $4.  Don't reckon I'd risk it even as a trial unless I was planning on junking the hardware.  I just replaced my i7 920 but I expect to get a hundred dollars or more for the combo on eBay.

I never thought I'd risk it either, Mabey I'm just looking for an excuse to by the new rig :D

I've got to say though, this i7 2700k may be the best processor I've ever had. It has been up to 5ghz and still keeps on trucking along, same as the MOBO, must have had a good batch of capacitors in this one.

I certainly won't be doing any more experiments any time soon though :)

Thermal paste. I inherited some. Is that what you use it for? I brushed my teeth with it a few times. Not as good as bleach for whitening. So now I rub it on my fishing lures. Haven't caught anything yet but I never did before, either. ::)

Why would anyone make his own thermal paste when you can buy it in a store for $5-$10? Thermal paste needs to be a lot more than just a great conductor of heat, it also sneeds to spread/fill well and more importantly, it needs to age well. A poor thermal paste could also creat by-products over time that could harm the processor or motherboard. Not worth the risks.

Why would anyone make his own thermal paste when you can buy it in a store for $5-$10? Thermal paste needs to be a lot more than just a great conductor of heat, it also sneeds to spread/fill well and more importantly, it needs to age well. A poor thermal paste could also creat by-products over time that could harm the processor or motherboard. Not worth the risks.

Just for fun :)

I'm aware of what a good thermal paste is needed for and how cheap it is (the toothpaste and Vaseline probably cost more :D )the reason I tried was #1 because it was late and my local computer store was closed and #2 I'm an Electrician by trade and this kind of stuff interests me so I thought what the heck, why not try a fun little experiment for a very short period of time , I'm getting a new MOBO and CPU anyway. My system is for Sim only and has been running full tilt @ 4.7 to 5 ghz since I put it together 3 1/2 years ago. I've since applied some mx4 ( $8 ) and everything is okay, running @ 4.7ghz at around 55c to 60c at full load and no slow down at all, still running FSX at smooth 30fps almost everywhere.

You're definitely right though, unless you're planning on junking or upgrading, making your own thermal paste is definitely not worth the risk :)

Archived