NSTU - Samoan runways visible trough terrain.

Matt McGee

I have NSTU and can see runways through the hills.  Pago Pago, Ofu, & Fitiuta (haven't checked all the runways yet).

Happens in the cockpit view.  If I switch to spot view, I can't see through the terrain anymore.  If I switch back to cockpit, I can see through the hills again. 

It happens with every aircraft I have tried: default Bell 206, Aerosoft Jayhawk, Twin Otter, & OV-10, Ant's T-28 (canopy open and closed), VRS SuperBug.

I don't remember seeing this anywhere else before.  I've just tried W28 Sequim and AYPY Jacksons and don't see it in either place.

Any ideas?

First two screenshots are NSTU, paused at the same spot.  Third shot is Ofu.

PagoPago1.jpg

PagoPago2.jpg

Ofurunwayissue.jpg

Most odd!

I'm unable to replicate this at my end, tried quite a few aircraft, different views, weather themes etc, but whats interesting is you also get the same issue at another (very different) airport, meaning its not completely unique to NSTU, So it might be local system/sim LOD setting or even drivers/and driver settings.

Anyone else experience this?

Tim,

I can't see it my Orbx payware Darrington, Anacortes or KORS, but I do see it at Blakely Island. (just a PNW airport between Anacortes and Orcas)

Since it isn't NSTU specific, feel free to mod my post title to something more generic like "Seeing runways through terrain".

I just noticed it in NSTU because the white runway markings stood out against the green terrain.  Still loving NSTU BTW!

Hey thats fine,

It doesn't look to be constrained to a runway surface 'type', as you say you get it at all 3 A-Samoan airports (two are Asphalt, and one is Concrete)

Another interesting point is the distance you took the shots from, its almost bang on the 10,000m mark away from the APX, which I think is when they start to display visually, its also the same time the custom groundpolys are tuned to switch on its probably something very simple to fix/remedy/avoid, from a driver setting to even something like dx9/dx10 shaders etc

I'm told by a team member the issue has been seen before in FSX, but not sure why or how its occurred

Hi Tim

sorry to jump in

just reading your last post. not sure if what im seeing is what u r referring to.(not very good with the technical stuff of scenery design)

if not then ill post another thread separately

when I approach nstu( say at about 6nm ) or even nsfa  I see a grey runway with no centreline and then as I close in the correct scenery kicks in

Hi capt,

Not sure if that is the same issue, is it showing through terrain like seen in the OPs shots?

What you describe is normally how an APX or groundpoly runway loads as you approach it, NSTU would probably do the same, as everything starts to load up just outside of your level-of-detail radius (LOD slider)

A bit more data collection.  The runways are also visible in the fixed exterior camera modes (but not the spot or fixed spot).

Again, not just Samoan runways.  Screenshots 3 & 4 are 38WA - Blakely Island.  FTX Global, Hybrid mode with PNW.

Fitiuta

Fitiuta.jpg

Distance at which I could see the line of the Fitiuta runway.

Fitiutaappears.jpg

Blakely 38WA  visible through hill.

Blakely.jpg

Blakely after clearing hill.

Blakely2.jpg

Hi capt,

Not sure if that is the same issue, is it showing through terrain like seen in the OPs shots?

What you describe is normally how an APX or groundpoly runway loads as you approach it, NSTU would probably do the same, as everything starts to load up just outside of your level-of-detail radius (LOD slider)

ok thx . no im not having the issue the same as the OP

Archived