More useful than a GTN750 in case of a nuclear war ?

dominique

A pipboy, of course. Fallout 4 is coming to us November next, folks. In Boston this time . Isn't that a good news (if I may say so for a post apocalype) ?

The rumour mill adds that a wearable pipboy will be on sale on Amazon :lol: !

It's no rumour ;)

The Special Collectors Edition will be called the "Pipboy Edition" and comes with a wearable, working Pipboy... you slot in a smart phone and run an app that actually interfaces with the game when playing... so you can physically use the Pipboy on your wrist as you would in the game (apparently the phone app is the exact same code used in the game).

You can still use the app without the Pipboy case though ;)

Pretty impressive rendering engine. If you missed it  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5esyZPt5Jo

Makes one think what the next generation flight sim could be (if any) ! Including airport  and Objectflow stuff design.

PS and also what the next Elders Scroll will be...

Oh, that's looking good! The crafting/building looks like fun, and even the gimmicks seem worth trying.  Roll on November...

In terms of rendering and environment detail I reckon Witcher 3 is every bit as good, though that's a rather different genre.

I think the next gen flight sim (from whoever makes it) should similarly wow us, and those addon companies with highly-talented devs (I think there's one around here somewhere ;) ) will deliver content that takes full advantage of that.  The downside is that it will likely break most back-compatibility, but that's the price to pay for such an advance.  Which means it won't happen until the market's ready - my guess is sometime within the next decade. 8)

Oh, that's looking good! The crafting/building looks like fun, and even the gimmicks seem worth trying.  Roll on November...

In terms of rendering and environment detail I reckon Witcher 3 is every bit as good, though that's a rather different genre.

I think the next gen flight sim (from whoever makes it) should similarly wow us, and those addon companies with highly-talented devs (I think there's one around here somewhere ;) ) will deliver content that takes full advantage of that.  The downside is that it will likely break most back-compatibility, but that's the price to pay for such an advance.  Which means it won't happen until the market's ready - my guess is sometime within the next decade. 8)

The trend, these recent years, has been to work around the old FS engine : Accusim, the NASA FDE for the Majestic Dash and, of course, the animated  "StuffFlow" that OrbX brought to its airports. The feeling I've, maybe a dev will correct me, is that they've reached the limits of what can be done. These RGP games do a lot of computation behind the scene (ballistics for instance) and do look fabulous, there's no apparent reason why a flightsim couldn't reach that realism, what do you think ?

No about the compatibility issue... In my "career", I went from FS1 to FS5 to FU2 and 3 then Flight! and Flight!2 then back to FS2K2 and on and now P3D. If the new sim is clearly better, let's drop the old sims and any compatibility to the garbage bin of history :smile: !

The trend, these recent years, has been to work around the old FS engine : Accusim, the NASA FDE for the Majestic Dash and, of course, the animated  "StuffFlow" that OrbX brought to its airports. The feeling I've, maybe a dev will correct me, is that they've reached the limits of what can be done. These RGP games do a lot of computation behind the scene (ballistics for instance) and do look fabulous, there's no apparent reason why a flightsim couldn't reach that realism, what do you think ?

No about the compatibility issue... In my "career", I went from FS1 to FS5 to FU2 and 3 then Flight! and Flight!2 then back to FS2K2 and on and now P3D. If the new sim is clearly better, let's drop the old sims and any compatibility to the garbage bin of history :smile: !

I agree, if third-parties can push object realism to the current limits, then the sim designers should be able to surpass that with a new engine.  And then doubtless the third parties will find ways to improve on that too...

I'd be happy to drop it all if a new sim offered a major advance, so long as I felt enough 3rd-part devs would deliver the sort of content I like.  However, that's always a danger for devs - will their efforts be rewarded by sales?

At the moment we (the public) know of two players in the sim game - LM and Dovetail, and they're both aiming at next-gen.  However, the sim market is smaller than for RPGs and blockbuster games, so there are less resources available for that next-gen development.  Which makes incremental improvements to the current engine more likely in the short term, before either presses the "go" button for the next-gen project.  There are dangers: if the public know there's a new engine in the pipeline, will they stop buying addons in anticipation, knowing it will break compatibility?  It should a secret until closer to launch.  Also, at the time of launch, its public acceptance & sales will depend on the amount of content available, which means enough addon makers would need to be preparing for that - and in on the secret.  My feeling is that if it was well-built, of course it would catch on as the new mainstream engine in a relatively short time.

My hunch is there is no such project yet, but I'd be delighted to be wrong! :P

Archived