Interesting post about FPS improvements from the Steam FSX:SE forums.

Now I haven't had a chance to try this myself and I'm always sceptical of 'wild' claims like this but it seems some people have seen improvements in their sims by trying this tweak:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/618463738394364121/

I may try it myself later but if anyone else has any luck (or not) with this please share,

Simon

I really like Orbx megatweek.... It works like charm for me... Every other tweeks which I try mostly do nothing or worse. Depends on many factors...

There is my settings:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUkOvGA1KYg

I can fly with Ground Shadows on in most situations without lost from 30FPS, but I see some artifacts, like flashing object shadows, so depends on situation when I turn it on and when not. same Light Bloom. I think that effect is close to HDR lights in P3D v2... At some situations it is nice effect, sometimes looks very bad.

If you run high settings like me, it is not really possible to gain significant amount of FPS. 

With overclock to 4.7GHz (300MHz real gain only from stock i7-4790k) I achieve 0.5 FPS gain in my testing scenario - from 18 FPS over KSEA I get 18.5 FPS. Not worth to overclock. I get little bit more in other situations, but who cares about 50 or 52 FPS...

Well, I will try that on my stress test situation, that is TDS 737 with default VC, HD repaint, UT2 traffic at 50%, cloudy weather on Aerosofts Charles-de-Gaulle at 10pm. For now, I am down to 15-18FPS in this situation, while I usually keep the 30FPS constant on most other scenarios like flying around ORBX terrain. I would already be happy with 5FPS increase on my stress situation scenario, we'll see...

Just a thought: usually, no mysterious FPS increase is impossible, there is always something traded for. As an example: you can boost up your FPS quiet dramatically by simply reducing FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION from the default "0.33" to "0.15" or even lower, but of course you increase greatly the risk of blurries with this. So, if we have such an FPS increase here, there MUST be a drawback in another situation where the tweak does no favour. Simply because it so "new", people did not yet realize where the FPS gain is actually coming from, meaning on the expense of what you get that boost.

I've also just spotted a "tweak" from another forum, and I'm surprised I haven't known about it before. It is to keep the mouse pointer on the menu bar at the top of the screen. Apparently the software then doesn't keep polling the pointer to locate it, thus freeing up resources. I've only just read this and I haven't yet tested it ... got to take the wife to work !

Archived