Erradicating all traces of 'boxed' FSX?

I have been running FSX and FSX-SE alongside each other or a while now. To avoid the headaches of installing FTX products into this 'dual' set-up, I've been using FSX-SE solely with photoscenery and GA type flying, and FSX (boxed) for tubeliner stuff over FTX Global, vectors and EU LC.

However, with the more efficient VAS management of FSX-SE and possible performance gains, It would make more sense (to me) to have IT as my dedicated 'high flying' sim, with the more performance intensive add-ons such as the PMDG NGX.

There are a few reasons I've been holding off. One very big reason being, my boxed edition isn't running at all bad! However, as I get more into my newly acquired NGX, I know I'll eventually start knocking that VAS ceiling and maybe now is the time to change. Another (very big) reason for my previous reluctance is this registry issue, so in preparation, I've been familiarising myself with the various 'keys and strings' that constitute 'the registry'.

I might be ready to leap, but I could use some clarification.

Firstly, I uninstall FSX (I have already uninstalled FSX steam edition).

Then, I delete all remaining folders from AppData local (shaders) and roaming as well as program data on the C:Drive. I EVEN delete the FSX folders in documents and photographs, right?

Once the shelves have been systematically swept clean, I start on the registry, and its here where my thinking is a little vague.

In 'current user' I have the Microsoft Games entry, with subfolders named 'flight simulator' and 'flight simulator SDK'. Within the flight simulator folder, I have the '10' folder. I've seen references to deleting the individual '10' folder, but in my situation, would I have to delete the entire 'flight simulator' folder? I'm assuming I'd also have to delete the SDK folder also (which I activated via the DVD)?

Then of course we have the similar entries within the Wow6432Node folder in 'Local Machine' area. Again, do I delete the 'flight simulator' folder, or just the '10' folder within it?

Of course, I have already backed up the entire registry, before you ask! ^-^

Would THAT then be IT? Or will other FSX remnants be lurking in darker corners?

Assuming I've done it thoroughly enough, FSX-SE should then install as if it were FSX?

Another question would be this.

I ONLY plan on using FTX Global, Vectors and LC within FSX-SE, so probably no issues there to concern me.

As for addon aircraft, the list will be limited to the RealAir Turbine Duke V2, PMDGs NGX, possibly the Majestic Dash, and certainly the A2A P:51. I'm thinking these are all compatible with FSX-SE right?

Cheers, Mike.

Hi Mike

When I want to clean out the registry for whatever reason, I find the best method is to reinstall Windows to its factory settings. I have already placed all my important files in a second HDD and this method insures me that I have a completely virgin registry with no fears of 'something' in it just waiting to screw up the works.

Another method is contained in this thread.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/97831-new-to-orbx-ftx-global-installation/

Just my thoughts

Kind regards

Ian

Thanks Ian.

In fact I saw that thread just after I posted my initial query, and could see it answered my question quite adequately.

With regards to restoring a system to its factory settings, I only wish I could. I'm not so PC savvy, but when I recently had a glitch, I thought the best road would be the windows reinstall. It seems that my Advent system didn't come with a Windows 7 disk, but instead has the various re-install features 'on-board'. Try as I might, I could not get the system to revert back to its initial 'factory state' settings, and all sorts of error warnings and 'missing files' prompts were being thrown up.

I was on the verge of sending the PC off for some serious techie intervention when everything miraculously fixed itself, and its been running fine since.

So, I'm leaving it well alone! ;D 

I will (at some point) try to delete the relevant reg entries manually, and use the guide you linked to if I need to sort the FSX-SE path out after install. I guess if it all goes wrong I can always re-install FSX from the DVD and live with it until I eventually upgrade my system.

Cheers, Mike.

Hi Mike

Better safe than sorry !.

Just a point, Microsoft are going to be offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade later this year to owners of Windows 7 and 8.xx so this may be of benefit to you.

Best of luck

Kind regards

Ian

Yes, I did see mention of the free upgrade, and from what I can gather, the reaction from within the simming community seems mostly positive?

I think I have to accept that I have some psychiatric aversion to progress ;D . Maybe its because I have FSX running so well, maybe its an age thing or maybe its simply due to the fact I find it significantly easier to get into PC related issues than out of them ;D . My car is over 20 years old and doesn't even have a radio! Most weekends (in summer) my wife and I immerse ourselves in the 1940s ^-^ , and I've all but abandoned my not insubstantial collection of OrbX regions and regional airports because I prefer the relative simplicity of FTX Global, so the prospect of upgrading to Windows 10 is pretty daunting!

But, if I wasn't willing to at least tentatively jump on-board the progress bandwagon I'd probably still be simming on my Sinclair Spectrum ZX82, so there is hope yet! >:D

In the meantime, I might see how far I can push things (in FSX) with the PMDG NGX before I get an OOM lol. If I can go from UK2000's Luton to Aerosoft's Palma Majorca I might hold out until I get a new PC. Actually, I did a flight from LEPA to Norwich last week (real world) and was stunningly, stunningly beautiful with the haze and the setting sun. I'll try and find a photo!

Hell, that came out a bit big! And no, it doesn't look anything like the experience of 'being there'. All I was thinking was "Rex 4, 30NM haze and Christ this is smooth!" ;D

islandescapemay2015419baf0d.jpg

Archived