Any Possibility of a Cathedral for Lincoln City?

Nigelhj

Have EU England which was purchased as a DVD some time ago from Flight Store, I do a lot of flying around Lincolnshire where I live and enjoy navigating visually as the roads/airfields/power stations are more or less spot on and provides the opportunity of admiring the flat and featurless area of Lincolnshire whilst flying between 2 - 3000ft. (Used to fly from Wickenby in the seventies as well as Swinderby and Cranwell and flew in the Tiger Moth, Auster, Supercub, Cessna 172 Beagle Pup as well as a few more but the costs against my pay at the time to obtain my PPL was too much so kept to gliding as a consolation). Anyway, getting back to the point of this post is that one building missing is Lincoln Cathedral which has played a large part for aircrew especially during the 2nd world war of being a landmark for coming home to their bases in Bomber County.

Just wondering whether you might consider this for any future update and maybe also include Lincoln Castle which stands oppositeand to the West of Lincoln Cathedral?

I will now go and hide!!

Rewgards

Nigel.

I found a model of the cathedral in 3D Warehouse and placed it in a scenery. The castle is not available unfortunately. I'm not experienced in modelling with Google Sketchup. So I can't do it.

You can get the cathedral over this link. Just place it in a scenery of your choice. I have a few landmark objects for every country. So I placed this one in UK VFR. 

It doesn't fit very good into the modern buildings from the autogen and ground texture. Hope you like it anyway. ;-)

Dan

Q5IsO5Q.jpg

rnFwuk0.jpg

Hello Dan and very many thanks for the download link, sorry for the delay in replying but do not have internet at home so rely on my local public library and fortunately there were no restrictions on downloading this to my mem stick.

From your screen shots it is just what I need and does not concern me regarding fitting in to modern buildings from the autogen and ground texture as you wrote as I do not think itr will be that noticeable anyway.

Again, very many thanks will now be looking forward to flying from Wickenby and doing the usual circuit I used to do when flying for real back in the 70's before departing for a visual to..........umm......not yet decided!! ???

Kind Regards

Nigel.

Hello Dan and very many thanks for the download link, sorry for the delay in replying but do not have internet at home so rely on my local public library and fortunately there were no restrictions on downloading this to my mem stick.

From your screen shots it is just what I need and does not concern me regarding fitting in to modern buildings from the autogen and ground texture as you wrote as I do not think itr will be that noticeable anyway.

Again, very many thanks will now be looking forward to flying from Wickenby and doing the usual circuit I used to do when flying for real back in the 70's before departing for a visual to..........umm......not yet decided!! ???

Kind Regards

Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Were did you fit this folder into, Ive placed in Addon Scenery, but cant see it?

Cheers,

Hello Mal, Still at the library I'm afraid so have not got back home but from Dans' post it appears that you place it into the UK VFR Folder which is possibly in the main Orbx Folder but cannot say for sure until I get home.

Will not be back to a computer until Saturday and Monday is a Bank Holiday so library will be shut then so once I have found how it goes I will let you know unless Dan gets back here before I do.

Hope it works for you OK.

Regards

Nigel.

Hello Mal, Still at the library I'm afraid so have not got back home but from Dans' post it appears that you place it into the UK VFR Folder which is possibly in the main Orbx Folder but cannot say for sure until I get home.

Will not be back to a computer until Saturday and Monday is a Bank Holiday so library will be shut then so once I have found how it goes I will let you know unless Dan gets back here before I do.

Hope it works for you OK.

Regards

Nigel.

Hi Mate,

yes not sure what folder to place these files in, give us a bell when you check it out yourself next week,

Cheers,

No guys, UK VFR is a folder I suggest to create, if you intend to collect a few VFR objects in the UK. You can also just create a scenery folder called Lincoln_Cathedral like it's suggested by the zip files internal folder structure. I'd recommend to put all these folders within the "Addon Scenery" folder.

You could also just create one folder in Addon Scenery called VFR objects, for the whole world. The name you use is your choice.

It's also possible to add the scenery and textures directly into the scenery and texture directories of Addon Scenery.

But I would not recommend this method, since this makes it difficult to trace down problems, you may encounter one day with a single broken scenery file.

Personally I sort the sceneries by continent, then country and or airport like this

...Flightsimulator X\Addon Scenery\Europe\UK VFR

Of course the scenery also has to be added to the sim. If you don't know how to do this search a tutorial with google. 

Hope this helps

Dan

Here's an additional link, if it doesn't work for you with google drive

No guys, UK VFR is a folder I suggest to create, if you intend to collect a few VFR objects in the UK. You can also just create a scenery folder called Lincoln_Cathedral like it's suggested by the zip files internal folder structure. I'd recommend to put all these folders within the "Addon Scenery" folder.

You could also just create one folder in Addon Scenery called VFR objects, for the whole world. The name you use is your choice.

It's also possible to add the scenery and textures directly into the scenery and texture directories of Addon Scenery.

But I would not recommend this method, since this makes it difficult to trace down problems, you may encounter one day with a single broken scenery file.

Personally I sort the sceneries by continent, then country and or airport like this

...Flightsimulator X\Addon Scenery\Europe\UK VFR

Of course the scenery also has to be added to the sim. If you don't know how to do this search a tutorial with google. 

Hope this helps

Dan

Here's an additional link, if it doesn't work for you with google drive

Lincoln_Catherdral.zip

Bloody Hell, watch this last link, tried to use it this morning, has completly knackered up my computer, installed loads of crap, installed a virus, buggered up my internet browser, I've had to call in a computer engineer...not impressed!

Bloody Hell, watch this last link, tried to use it this morning, has completly knackered up my computer, installed loads of crap, installed a virus, buggered up my internet browser, I've had to call in a computer engineer...not impressed!

I'm sorry to hear you had troubles, but that has nothing to do with my file. You probably just clicked the advertisment, which is marked as such on the zippyshare website. If you click several times without reading what you do, you get a lot of adware installed. I'd recommend you to use an adblocker in your browser to avoid searching the right download button. Zippyshare is free and does a good job. Somehow the have to pay the bills, if you don't pay them for downloading. So they have ads. 

From the statistics I could see the file was downloaded twice. Both times from me. First was my test to see if it works and now again, after your post above. Everything is fine with the file. You just did not know what you were doing. 

For all people not used to the internet, software installation, computer maintenance, don't download my scenery.

As you can see below, there are several download buttons. Don't use the green, blue or black ones, cause they are in a rectangle marked advertisement. Just use the one the right, orange color, on the same line as the filename you requested, so easy.

PGvMmlg.jpg

If you use an adblocker like me, you only get the right button. But it's always safe to read, before you click. 

fJrEJ1q.jpg

I'm sorry to hear you had troubles, but that has nothing to do with my file. You probably just clicked the advertisment, which is marked as such on the zippyshare website. If you click several times without reading what you do, you get a lot of adware installed. I'd recommend you to use an adblocker in your browser to avoid searching the right download button. Zippyshare is free and does a good job. Somehow the have to pay the bills, if you don't pay them for downloading. So they have ads. 

From the statistics I could see the file was downloaded twice. Both times from me. First was my test to see if it works and now again, after your post above. Everything is fine with the file. You just did not know what you were doing. 

For all people not used to the internet, software installation, computer maintenance, don't download my scenery.

Fair enough, I've managed to sort things out, I'll be more careful next time!

Thanks,

Hi Dan,

Further to the previous, I realise my mistake now, and what I did wrong, please accept my sincere apologies, I'll have to be more careful next time.

Thanks,

Thanks, I appreciate that. It's a tricky world. I clicked ads myself before. 

Dan

Hi Dan and Mal, just to let you know Dan I am having trouble with installing Lincoln Cathedral for some reason.  I tried various different paths of installation including unsing the direct route of installing into the 2 folders in the Add-On Folder (Textures and Scenery) but the catheral does not show in FTX.

Got to be something I am doing wrong but when I used to have FS9 I had no problems manually installing additional scenery, so cannot get my head around this.  Mal, did you get it to install OK?

Think I may well have to skip the cathedral unless I am able to find out what the problem is.

Late Edit:  Found this site http://fstipsandaddons.com/tutorials/installing-scenery-fsx.html

Did not know that there were problems installing add-ons with Win7 so will have another go when I get home.  Not back until Wednesday so will post the result then!! :unsure:  

Regards

Nigel.

Hi all,

If you want, I can integrate that cathedral into a free scenery next time I enhance a place for ENG :)

Hello Richard, that would be great if you could as no doubt some time in the future if having to re-install FSX for what-ever reason and taking into account me age, I might have forgotten how I got it there in the first place!!!! ::)

Kind regards

Nigel.

Hi all,

If you want, I can integrate that cathedral into a free scenery next time I enhance a place for ENG :)

I have no objection. Just keep in mind to give credit to the original designer of the object. Reference is in my readme. I just converted the model and placed it on the right place in a .bgl.

Dan 

Hi Dan and Mal, just to let you know Dan I am having trouble with installing Lincoln Cathedral for some reason.  I tried various different paths of installation including unsing the direct route of installing into the 2 folders in the Add-On Folder (Textures and Scenery) but the catheral does not show in FTX.

Got to be something I am doing wrong but when I used to have FS9 I had no problems manually installing additional scenery, so cannot get my head around this.  Mal, did you get it to install OK?

Think I may well have to skip the cathedral unless I am able to find out what the problem is.

Late Edit:  Found this site http://fstipsandaddons.com/tutorials/installing-scenery-fsx.html

Did not know that there were problems installing add-ons with Win7 so will have another go when I get home.  Not back until Wednesday so will post the result then!! :unsure:  

Regards

Nigel.

Hi Nigel

This procedure is certainly a good help to add sceneries in FSX. It is tricky in windows 7 to get it accepted from FSX. It is certainly not a problem of the directory. When you put it into addon scenery, it should show up. You may have added it into scenery and used the zip programs ectract with path so you got scenery\scenery\*.bgl instead of scenery\*.bgl. 

You may show me some screenshot of the entry in FSX and the respective directory. I could tell you more then.

Dan

Unfortunately I am still having problems, extracted all the files and made a folder Lincoln Cathedral and created 2 folders within the main one for Textures and Scenery of which the downloaded files were placed.  I put Lincoln Cathedral Folder into Add-On Scenery and started FSX.  Then went to Add Scenery selecting the Lincoln Cathedral folder I gave a right click on the mouse and it showed up in the menu and I went off in the Auster over Lincoln but the cathedral was not there!!  I even went to the extreme of placeing the files directly into the Texture and Scenery Folders in Add-Ons but even then the cathedral did not show.

I am beginning to think that there must be something wrong with the file structure as trhe BGL File reads:-   lincoln-cathedral-base.BGL

Searching through other BGL files they appear to have an underscore as apposed to the dash i.e. should it read lincoln_cathedral_base.bgl?

Equally the textures are written lincoln-cathedral-base_1.dds etc

Just wonder why the cathdral is not showing on my system when Dans' is?

Any further help would be appreciated.

Regards

Nigel.

I don't think it's the filename. Check if the scenery entry is still there. You may have another scenery there blocking the cathedral. That's the most common difference to another system, like mine. As you know, the scenery works well at my system. I have to add here, that I use it in P3D2, with ORBX England, ORBX Global. No other sceneries in Lincoln. I will check how it works in FSX.

Another factor is priority. I think you should put it above ORBX England.

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan and many thanks for your reply, I did try moving Lincoln_Cathedral above everything else within the Scenery Library to no avail.  As you wrote above maybe another scenery is blocking the cathedral but the only other sceneries I have are all ORBX including ORBX Global  three payware airports in England and the other add-ons installed are the freeware airports from ORBX for America Europe and Australia, also have Just Flight Traffic 360 and had moved that right down to the lowest level.

As you stated, the scenery works well on your system so either I am having a number of senior moments or something is stopping the cathedral from showing as it is listed in the Scenery Library and I am able to move it and scenery loads as soon as I press OK.

Will be back to the library either Saturday or Monday so will keep trying and let you know.

Kind regards

Nigel.

Hi Nigel

Just a stab in the dark but on the previous page you mentioned you set up 2 folders called Scenery and Textures. That second one should be just Texture I think (without the s). Perhaps that is why it wouldn't show. It's a long shot but perhaps worth just checking.

Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Nigel

I found the solution. It was not the directory structure, but different compiling for P3D2 and FSX. I didn't expect P3D2 to have changed that much from FSX. Sorry about that.

So there are two downloads now. One for FSX users, the other for P3D2 users. Don't mix'em up!

FSX

P3D2

Fingers crossed, I wait for your message, that it works now ;-)

Dan

IFrTURe.jpg

7en5BnM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan, many thanks for the explanation, just had a feeling that something was not right but could not put my finger on it. 

Will download the file you have linked to FSX but will not be until later in the week when I can get to a WiFi area on my mobile phone and will let you know Friday or Saturday. 

Again, many thanks for looking further into this for me, greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nigel.

Hello Dan, managed to download file yesterday when I went into Lincoln and now have the Cathedral showing.

Very many thanks for your help which is greatly appreciated.  Here are some shots I took.

Lincoln%20Cathedral%20South%20View_zpsze

Lincoln%20Cathedral%20External_zpsf550nu

Lincoln%20Cathedral%20South%20View%20Pho

Screen shot from Car DVR travelling north along Broadgate towards Lindum Hill

Lincoln%20Cathedral%20South%20Ground%20L

Roughly the same location from ORBX Scenery England

Again, many thanks.

Kind regards

Nigel.

Archived