programs on disc

peterc

I bought a downloadable copy of FTX:Australia SP4 but the download process failed three times. Is it possible to pay the extra cost of discs and have the program delivered in that format

Peter

Probably not. I just deleted the part file that had been downloaded.

I can try another computer (and internet connection) but will have to learn how to recall the download locations and convince them that I have paid so that the download can be reattempted. I'd be just as happy to pay for and wait for discs.

Peter

Hi Peter

Just use free CCleaner to clear your browser cache and cookies on your initial PC. :)

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

And to access the download locations, just sign into your FSS account where you purchased the product, from any computer,

https://www.flightsimstore.com/login.php?osCsid=qmtjpjdngdavlrg041fgoi2720

Thanks for both suggestions.

this is an interim reply and I'll follow up with the current status of things when I've had time to progress what I now have

A 10 hour download session yesterday gave me a 4.4GB .zip file and I'll now see what I can do with that.

Peter

I bought a downloadable copy of FTX:Australia SP4 but the download process failed three times. Is it possible to pay the extra cost of discs and have the program delivered in that format

Peter

Before you confirm your order at FlightSim Store you can chose "download only" or "download + DVD", the latter will incur a small extra fee.

A 10 hour download session yesterday gave me a 4.4GB .zip file and I'll now see what I can do with that.

Peter

Be sure to extract that .zip file into a seperate folder first...then click on the .exe application file to install :)

OK. Here's the current state of play.

The downloaded .zip file was 4,456,426 KB and 7-zip refers to it as an invalid file. It therefore won't proceed further and unzip.

WinRAR partially opened the file but gave an error message 'unexpected end of archive' and won't proceed past that point. What it did unzip was 4,741,589,378B. None of the unzipped files will open

For hwh83. Yes, I see that now, but didn't pick up on it when I submitted the order. What this thread has been trying to do is to see if The Flightsim store can offer some way to add in the discs without buying the whole package again and  some response from them would be good client service. Their phone numbers both ring out to a message saying that there's no one here and their store@flightsim.com just doesn't respond.

I really appreciate the forum support, but the company behind all this could do better.

Given that another download is going to also take something of the order of 10 hours with a final result that will probably duplicate my existing problems, I'm reluctant to even start trying that process. Any further thoughts would be really appreciated.

Peter

Peter

Have you cleared your browser cache and cookies with CCleaner?

Have you tried using a download manager?

https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Also...have a look hear:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/82288-corrupt-download-cant-unzip-please-read-here/

I'll also advocate using a download manager.  Even if the download is slow and droppy, the manager should be able to keep resuming until you end up with the complete file.  It's bad luck you're downloading now when the sale is on and demand seems to have outstripped capacity, though I see Jay Kae has added a new faster pipe just a wee while ago.

Thanks guys.

Flightsim have now responded and have agreed to sell me the program on DVD. They blame download problems on their overworked server:

these last few days have not been our average kind of week. In the first 48 hours of the Orbx sale, the infrastructure that we have dedicated to Orbx has delivered approximately 20 terabytes of data. That’s about the equivalent of over 4,500 copies of FTX Global BASE. We’ve seen even one of our most robust services delivered by Amazon struggle during this period, and rightly so, that’s a phenomenal amount of data to deliver.

there's more to this, including a Paypal dispute, but bottom line: Not a pleasant experience. I hope that the terrain program is worth the wear and tear.

Peter

Archived