Cant find Scenery CFG

I think that was an error with FSX:SE internally. This may be a different issue.

When installing ORBX into FSX:SE, I used the Flight 1 registry fix tool, to point FTX Global at the correct .exe path. However, after it installed, it can't find the Scenery folder. It lokoed everywhere, it says.

Open FTX Central 2, then the bottom left, Settings tab. THen, the 2nd option, "Library Insertion Points". This will cause a "can't find scenery.cfg" problem. Odd, it installed OK, but can't get the scenery cfg.

This is for FSX:SE users only. If you have a dual install, (FSX:SE and Microsoft FSX) I don't think this will work. I don't know. It wasn't that difficult to work around it.I don't know how or why everybody isn't having this problem, but for the unfortunate few, such as myself, ORBX seems to not find the scenery.cfg file.

I was up late last night trying to figure out why. It seems like the file structure has been altered, but all the files are still there.

Maybe not everybody is having this problem, and maybe some have figured it out. In any event, the problem I had was because of course Dovetail changed the appdata\roaming\FSX folder name to \FSX-SE. It seems that the ORBXinstaller was still looking for the originally named \FSX folder. It never found it, because there wasn't one. Additionally, there wasn't a copy of the scenery.cfg file in that folder.

The solution that worked for me took only a few steps. I'll number them for this post.

First, in control panel, have "show hidden files and folders" selected, or you won't see the \appdata folder.

1. Make sure FSX:SE is not running. Do not start it until completing the last step.

2. Go to your C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft folder and change the name of the "FSX-SE" folder to "FSX"

3. Go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX folder (the FSX:SE root folder) and copy/paste the scenery.cfg file into the C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE folder.

4. Now with the FSX:SE folder renamed to FSX, and the copied scenery.cfg file in it, start your ORBX installer. It should find your FSX:SE install OK, provided your registry is clean.

5. Allow the install to finish, and exit.

6 Go to C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and change the folder name back to FSX-SE, leaving the scenery.cfg you copied in place.

7. Now start your simulator, and test. For myself, this is where I was able to resume enjoying ORBX scenery, now for FSX:SE.

This was posted on the steam forum back around the FSX:SE release. Although, it was much more difficult then. This is what it took for me. It sounds more difficult than it is.

Hope this helps somebody! Have a good flight.

Hi Simfly,

I appear to have a problem. I followed your first steps but in the second steps although I have appdata I cant find roaming and I cant find scenery.cfg either. I think my best bet is to take it off, clean the registry and start again.

Rogals

By the sound of it, even if it works, I don't like editing the registry myself. Not because I'm unable, but because that whole prospect sounds a little scary.

If it works though, awesome. It doesn't sound simpler to me, but that's because I didn't do it that way.

Archived