Best eye candy addons?

akaluke

Apart from FTX - which I'll buy as soon as it's available, what are the other best eye candy addons?

I'm new to FSX (and flight sim), so the options are a little confusing.

I guess I need mesh AND scenery AND something for skies?

What's the best around at the moment (apart from FTX obviously).

I'd try  FlightEnvironmentX (FEX) - its reported to work well with FTX. I bought it this week and out of the box it makes a real difference to the sky/sea and cloud setup over and above default FSX.

FEX can be found here.

Guest Private-Cowboy

Sad but true, GEXwho? I'd say the idea behind GEX is so FS9ish, the FTX approach is the future. THIS is how I think a modern well optimized scenery should look like. The bad thing now is, you don't wanna fly anywhere outside FTX anymore, even if you have UTX/GEX.

Thanks for the xtra info...

I've just bought and installed FTX - haven't started FSX yet...just about to ;-) ...

So...

GEX is like FTX but not as good but covers more territory?

FEX is for sky/water?

Active Sky X - sky/weather?

What about FSGenesis mesh? Is this the best mesh addon? Do I need/want it? Any alternatives?

Uhu_Fledermaus, dont just like it, I love it.  Still cant believe how FTX changed the whole FSX experience. 

Never a truer word said, this one add on has totally breathed new life into the sim and has given those "It dosen't get better than FS2004" or "I will never upgrade from FS2004" crowd, something to think about...

Cheers,

Thanks for the xtra info...

I've just bought and installed FTX - haven't started FSX yet...just about to ;-) ...

So...

GEX is like FTX but not as good but covers more territory?

FEX is for sky/water?

Active Sky X - sky/weather?

What about FSGenesis mesh? Is this the best mesh addon? Do I need/want it? Any alternatives?

GEX has recently been upgraded and looks very nice - MUCH better than default textures. It covers the whole of North America. As FTX won't be doing any part of North America for a while, and only NW by the end of the year, if I flew at all in N. America I would definately buy it to replace my default textures. When FTX starts getting to grips with the US/Canada then you'll already have had a good 6-12 months of use out of GEX. That FTX is better goes without saying of course.

Flight Environment X is very nice for sky and water. A weather engine has been on it's way for...well, ages.

Active Sky/Weather is at the moment the only product that delivers better graphics, a weather engine and I think some improved airport textures and stuff. Not sure about water though.

You might like to hold off until Real Environment X (REX) comes out. It's due this month though I'm not sure how certain that is. Have a look here and check out the pics.

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129098&st=1000

I don't know about mesh addons, sorry. Hope this helped!

Krigl

Now you've started a Ford v Holden or, rather, Coke v Pepsi debate!

I use FS Genesis and am very happy with it. It provides great 10m mesh for the Pacific Northwest, 38m in many other places and at least 76m everywhere in the world. I wouldn't fly without it.

FS Global is the other major payware option. I've never used it, so can't speak for it. I think I ended up going for Genesis bacause, from memory it had a bit more 10m mesh, and at the time I bought it, it was cheaper. Ultimately I'd recommend looking at each product's website and make the decision for yourself.

Of course the other option is to download Holger's fantastic freeware mesh. You can get this for Australia via the VOZ website, and other sites for other locations.

My final comment on mesh - I reckon that it's as important as great scenery for anywhere that's not flat. FTX without good mesh is a bit like designer clothing being worn by someone described as, let's say, aesthetically challenged...

My final comment on mesh - I reckon that it's as important as great scenery for anywhere that's not flat. FTX without good mesh is a bit like designer clothing being worn by someone described as, let's say, aesthetically challenged...

Actually for somewhere relatively flat like Western Australia, a good mesh is absolutely vital.  I actually bit the bullet and took out a Galaxy Lifetime membership a couple of years ago and I am pretty happy with it.  Justin provides a pretty good level of service IMHO.

Cheers,

Archived