So I was wondering if...

Ausiguy

...it was possible to take off and land the F16 from Aeropelican. So I set out to find out.

Real world weather had the wind at 140/09 so I would be using runway 07. I had a lightly loaded ship (no stores) with about 90% fuel.

Lined up for departure. It's gonna be tight...

Posted Image

Just got off the runway with about 200 feet to spare. Decided to make right traffic.

Posted Image

Slowing down already. Pretty view.

Posted Image

Turning base, gear going back down.

Posted Image

Three green. Interesting that the F16 has automatically controlled flaps and leading edge slats.

Posted Image

Watching the airspeed. Don't want to go below 160 but don't want to be above 175 either.

Posted Image

Lined up although the crosswind is pushing me off line more than I expect in this bird.

Posted Image

Airspeed is good. Need to put it right on the threshold to have any chance of stopping.

Posted Image

Banking right with left rudder to counter the crosswind.

Posted Image

Gonna put it right where I want it.

Posted Image

Hard on the anchors and I'm stopped with about 100 feet to spare.

Posted Image

Taxi back and a full ab departure just for fun.

Posted Image

Almost supersonic through 20000 feet. Great view.

Posted Image

Oh, anybody ever seen these parachute looking purple things flying around at about 31000 feet. Quite odd.

Posted Image

Full Disclosure: It took two aborted landing attempts to get this right. The first two I was about 5-10 knots too fast got the mains down but knew there was no way to stop safely so went full ab for a go around. 

I hope you enjoyed my little experiment ;D

Not a lot of braking action on the grass.

Hey aussiecop, I gotta send you the multiplayer mission I have created that puts the carrier fleet off Noosa and we can get online sometime and do some carrier practice. It's a fully operational fleet with the tower callouts on final and if you bolter. You can have up to 12 players and fly as long as you like. The fleet justs keeps steaming north and you can come and go as much as you like. Let me know if you're interested.

...it was possible to take off and land the F16 from Aeropelican. So I set out to find out.

Real world weather had the wind at 140/09 so I would be using runway 07. I had a lightly loaded ship (no stores) with about 90% fuel.

Posted Image

Just got off the runway with about 200 feet to spare. Decided to make right traffic.

Posted Image

Slowing down already. Pretty view.

Posted Image

Turning base, gear going back down.

Posted Image

Three green. Interesting that the F16 has automatically controlled flaps and leading edge slats.

Posted Image

Watching the airspeed. Don't want to go below 160 but don't want to be above 175 either.

Posted Image

Lined up although the crosswind is pushing me off line more than I expect in this bird.

Posted Image

Airspeed is good. Need to put it right on the threshold to have any chance of stopping.

Posted Image

Banking right with left rudder to counter the crosswind.

Posted Image

Gonna put it right where I want it.

Posted Image

Hard on the anchors and I'm stopped with about 100 feet to spare.

Posted Image

Taxi back and a full ab departure just for fun.

Posted Image

Almost supersonic through 20000 feet. Great view.

Posted Image

Oh, anybody ever seen these parachute looking purple things flying around at about 31000 feet. Quite odd.

Posted Image

Full Disclosure: It took two aborted landing attempts to get this right. The first two I was about 5-10 knots too fast got the mains down but knew there was no way to stop safely so went full ab for a go around. 

I hope you enjoyed my little experiment ;D

........I like it tight. When it's at an airforce base.

Just got off the runway with about 200 feet to spare.

Congratulations, you've passed the Emirates interview...  :D

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah 

Archived