Orbx Global Base Re-Install FSX: Steam

Ok, watched a bunch of YouTube videos and took the leap... installed FSX Steam!  I decided just to cut the cord on the Disk Version and uninstalled it based on all of the good to great comments attributed from the owner of ORBX after his visit to Dovetail.  Based on my initial impressions all seems cool and I think I did the correct thing.  However, I went to install Global Base and the program continues to point to my old DISC version directory on my F drive which no longer exist instead of my new steam directory on G drive.  I believe I have junk in my registry left over from my old F drive install of DISC version of FSX.  Ok, I know I have junk in the registry I have been deleting the crap for 2 days now and still cannot get it to point to the new directory and the installer does not give me the option to point it there myself.  I purchased the program from the FlightSim Store by download if that makes a difference.  Can anyone tell me where the installer is looking within the registry to see my old install location and point to it as the destination for my new Global install ... please help if you can I am getting a bit frustrated!

The relevant registry entry is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10

You will need to modify the SetupPath to point to where your FSX Steam folder is.

Also this from another topic might be of use.

Sometimes there is still a trace of FSX and if that is the case, by default, FSX-SE will

be installed in "Co-exist" mode, ie so that it and FSX can be installed on the same PC.

This is why the external folders are named FSX-SE  instead of FSX.

Use your Registry Editor to go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

where you will see a Registry Key named Co-existence.

You will see that its value is 1.

Right click on modify and change this to 0.

You can then go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

and in each case delete the FSX-SE folder.

If you see an FSX folder, delete that also.

Then restart FSX-SE and new folders named FSX will be created.

Once you have done this, the file structure should match what

the installers expect to find for FSX and work correctly.

Credit for this to Steve Waite at the Avsim forum.

I have tried it and it works for me exactly as I have written.

As I have both versions on my PC, I have also found that

the process is entirely reversible.

So I have had a similar problem attempting to install ORBX Global for FSX steam edition. Tried everything, uninstalled previous box version of FSX. I'm not confident messing around with registry and decided to leave well alone. Anyone know if ORBX are going to create an update to fix this issue for existing ORBX owners that have moved over to ORBX Steam.

I meant fsx steam!

I'm afraid not.

It was stated right at the outset that support would be for FSX and

FSX-SE but not for both together.

The existing FTX software will of course work if the external folders

are named FSX and not FSX-SE.

This can be achieved as outlined above and by installing FSX-SE

into a system where there has either never been an FSX or all traces

of FSX have been removed.

So I will try the removal you outline. I have uninstalled fsx as I will only be using the steam version. Do I still need to change the registry path? My steam version is unusually located in apps/steamapps/common/fsx. Similar to the last post I do not have flightsimulator 10 present presumably because I have deleted it. What I would like to see from ORBX is an update to the installer that allows the user to choose the appropriate folder to install in. In the meantime if I do have to change the set path what would it be in the absence of flightsimulator 10.

You will need a registry entry pointing to your FSX-SE installation that the

installer can recognise.

You should be able to use this utility to set one up.

http://www.tweakfs.c.../free_tools.php

I am told that if FSX Steam is installed into a system where there is no trace

of FSX, it uses the same registry entries as FSX does.

It does seem however, that ridding a system of every trace of FSX

is difficult to achieve.

To all,

Thanks Nick,

You initial response to my problem fixed my issue...  I wish all the best of luck as I march on with all of my installs so I can get back to my Hobby.  I am not an expert but you do have to know how to make registry edits to fix these issues.  I had to physically add the SetupPath and then insert the stringer that points to the install location which for me was on G: drive.  I had my best experience with removing boxed FSX and reinstalling FSX STEAM.  I made the adjustments that Nick found for me in his initial post and bingo all began to work as usual! 

Nick brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. That registry tool link was the business for those of us that are technically impaired. Installer working fine now and looking forward to using my several ORBX products with the new steam fsx which works much better on my machine. Looking forward to enjoying outstanding ORBX scenery during my flights. Many thanks for your patience and help. Hopefully these posts will help others. For me the registry tool you recommended was the breakthrough. Thanks again. Bryan

Archived