KTVL ILS?

tttocs

I see on the announcements page that the new SP for KTVL added an ILS.  I think I posted on this before when the topic came up, but there is no ILS at KTVL, nor could there be.  The two LDA approaches that do exist are non-aligned due to terrain issues and require the last 4.4 nm to be flown in VFR conditions.

Sorry guys, but this one's a head-scratcher.

Scott

I agree with you Scott. You can pick up the VOR on 108.9 but you need to be at least 12000 feet 20 miles out from SHOLE. You can't get over the mountains at 9500. Don't fly anything after SHOLE using APR on your flight controller. It will fly you into the mountains to the east. If you don't have a visual on the RWY18 at THOLE, plan on going missed with at right turn climbing to 11000.

Your going to have to loiter around SWR or fly into your alternate. I prefer Reno, KRNO , about 40 nm north.

Well, the navaid at 108.9 is a localizer, but there is no glideslope and adding a glideslope makes no sense based on the requirements of the LDA/DME approach and its 4.4 miles of visual required to handle the final runway alignment.  As you note Joe, do this wrong and you fly into a mountain.  Add a glideslope and try to make it an ILS, and how (and where) do you fly a missed?  You basically can't, because the valley's narrowed too much for the climbing right turn required.

There are multiple reasons this is an LDA and not an ILS.  Good reasons.   ???

Scott

Hi guys

It was added simply because it was requested by a few. It doesn't affect the actual scenery in any way :)

Understood Misha, and you're right - this doesn't need to affect me all that much as I can simply ignore the glideslope indications and manually fly the approach as published.  I guess what bugged me at the time of those requests (and still bugs me a bit) is that the guys who were requesting it were doing so without understanding what they were asking for - well that and the fact that it's not the way it really is.  It's kinda like saying they wished the runway were 3000' longer because they wanted to fly their 737s in there.

I'll let it go, and I understand and respect the fact that your decision was based on a desire to give good customer service.  And, of course, I'll still enjoy the airport!

Scott

Misha,

This is in no way meant to detract from the great work you did with the airport. I make it one of my destinations as often as possible. This was just an interesting discussion of a difficult approach into a high altitude airport, with some of the best scenery in FST.

Yeah stop being an SHOLE about it :)

SHOLE thing, John.  No harm, no foul - the comments were intended to be constructive, not critical. 

I'm more likely to fly the GPS RWY 18 anyway.  In fact, I think that's exactly what I'll go do, as I do enjoy and appreciate the airport.

Scott

Archived