Grumman Goose flies from Cabarita Lake to Deception Bay (Nr.Redcliffe)

John York

This is not the easiest 'plane in the world to fly.  Vision is quite limited, especially when the overhead display is down and its quite difficult to steer on the water needing a wide berth. 

The wing floats keep it reasonably level on the water but once up, they have to be to help balance.  One thing about it though is the powerful engines get it up quickly, so runway distance is not usually an issue.

Here we are on Dock 4, Cabarita Lake;

Posted Image

I think this must be Lismore Airport up ahead with Coolangatta just beyond but I stand to be corrected.  This road map is pretty useless!

Posted Image

Posted Image

My first glimpse of tropical water. Does that mean we're crossing the border into Queensland?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These beautiful Islands seem well served by the ferry services.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Better keep an eye out.  Brisbane seems pretty busy today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't think I can go slow enough to follow the ferry in.

Posted Image

I tried to dock in the little bay just beside Redcliffe runway.  I got it down alright but sorry to have to admit the manouvre didn't work and I crashed it into one of the buildings after running it up the beech so the sim restarted itself! ::):-[:(

I hate sad endings but I wasn't going to do all that again so that's all you get this time folks. 

John

Thank you ImageShack-great download

Great set of shots there, John. Glad you enjoy the new 'airport'.

We really need to get you a new repaint with a VH- rego for that Goose. You know, when in Rome and all that.

On second thoughts, don't worry about it. We just love seeing all the Northern hemisphere aircraft flying in our skies.

Love the Goose so glad I didn't miss these... the repainters at OzX are working feverishly on Aussie repaints, but there are none for the Goose yet...though the Fijiian (?) one they have is a beauty. Maybe there aren't any Geese in Oz? 

The Goose is a great machine which is good in Tassie with all the lakes. Another set of fine shots John, and btw my default Goose has a 'sweet spot' at 11 knots taxiing where it is quite manoeuverable on water, but you have to be a bit gung ho about it!  ;)

This is the only VH- registered Goose I can find.

I'm almost 1000% certain that the aircarft pictured above is VH-MBA, which was later repaired/restored/repainted as DQ-AYL, which also happens to be the Fijian Goose at Ozx.

Archived