scenery.cfg problems

john548

After hours of frustrating attempts to install Global Base to FSX-SE it finally found the correct path and installed, but on entering

FTX Central, clicking on FTX Global and selecting the 3 options and clicking on APPLY the message :

"Unable to locate the scenery.cfg file: Unable to locate the Scenery.cfg file" appeared in a FTXConfigurator window.

This message also appears when I try to use the Scenery Library Configuration Tools in the FTX Central.

I have checked for a scenery.cfg file within the FSX folder and there is one in the main directory of FSX.

Same message appears when I install \global openLC Europe.

In FTX Central the FTX Global icon is ticked and Active Region displays the options that I have chosen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I wonder where you have installed FTX Central, can you run the installer for the latest

library again as far as the point where it tells you the install location.

Is this the same as where you installed FSX-SE?

Please report back with the location of each of them.

Depending on whether you have FSX also installed, your scenery.cfg file should be in

FSX-SE only:                 C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

FSX and FSX-SE  : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

By default, the Program Data folder is hidden, so you may need to go to Windows File Explorer

"View" options and select "Show hidden files, folders and drives"

Installing ORBX Libraries, including the latest edition,  changes XML files the Scripts directory.  I just installed the latest ORBX Library and had these files revert to an earlier version: FTXSettings in the FTXCenral folder , FTXConfiguratorSettings, FTXSettings in the Scripts folder and ORBXControlPanelSettings.  Opening the files up with Notepad I revised them to point to FSX-SE and the alert that FTX Central couldn't find the senery file was fixed.  I only have FTX-SE on my PC after removing all of FTX.  While reinstalling the ORBX products into FSX-SE I got a lot of errors in FTX Central and discovered five XML files in the script directory that were changed turing the install, seemingly on a random basis.  Changing wichever XML file was reverted by the install fixed the problem.  Somewhere along the way the terrain.CFG file got corrupted and after I fixed that per Holger's instructions (in another post), FSX-SE is running fine.  I don't know that all the XML files caused a problem, but easier to fix them all than keep chasing errors.  Hope the next ORBX Library version fixes this.  It is a minor annoyance if you know what is going on, very frustrating if you do not.

JP

hi Nick

Thanks for the quick response.

I have run the library install and it records the path as C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

As to the location of scenery.cfg its in C:\programData\Microsoft\FSX-SE although I have only FSX-SE installed.

Also my installation is recorded in HKEY_current_user and not as suggested in other support topics as in HKEY-local-machine. I don't know if that has any bearing on it.

Hopefully this is helpful.

John

As to the location of scenery.cfg its in C:\programData\Microsoft\FSX-SE although I have only FSX-SE installed.

This is the same as on mine. I also have the problem with the scenery library not being found, though a couple of my FTX installers did find it O.K. The others I have had to add to the scenery library manually (by copying the relevant 'scenerylib....cfg' entries in Orbx/scripts and changing the xxx values for area and layer for each entry in scenery.cfg). Although I only have SE installed now I did retain the old version until after SE had installed in case the install failed, then deleted it. Perhaps when SE is installed without FSX already present the scenery.cfg folder is just FSX? I have changed the values in the registry in both HKEY_current_user and HKEY-local_machine and have also edited the pointers to the scenery library in the various xml files in scripts. However noting dusterman's comments about these xml files being reset I just checked and indeed all of mine had reverted to FSX instead of FSX-SE so maybe that was also my problem.

Mervyn 

This applies if only FSX-SE is installed but there are still FSX-SE external folders.

Sometimes there is still a trace of FSX and if that is the case, by default, FSX-SE will

be installed in "Co-exist" mode, ie so that it and FSX can be installed on the same PC.

This is why the external folders are named FSX-SE  instead of FSX.

Use your Registry Editor to go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

where you will see a Registry Key named Co-existence.

You will see that its value is 1.

Right click on modify and change this to 0.

You can then go to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\

and in each case delete the FSX-SE folder.

If you see an FSX folder, delete that also.

Then restart FSX-SE and new folders named FSX will be created.

Once you have done this, the file structure should match what

the installers expect to find for FSX and work correctly.

Credit for this to Steve Waite at the Avsim forum.

I have tried it and it works for me exactly as I have written.

As I have both versions on my PC, I have also found that

the process is entirely reversible.

OK..after looking at Dustermans comments I looked at the suggested XML files and found them to be pointing to FSX so changed them to FSX-SE and voila! all region files installed and loaded perfect...BUT!

on running FSX I kept crashing out..not the aircraft but the FSX client :-[  So I have done Nicks suggestion and now everything works perfect ::)

So thanks Nick and others who contributed their suggestions (and of course Steve Waite)

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

Archived