PAHO Control Panel question

stiletto2

Hi Alex,

What a great job on PAHO!   I really love it.   I have a question on the 3D Snow toggle in the control panel.  At first I thought it toggled 3D snow banks on and off but in testing it looks to me like it is toggling the density and size of the vegetation in the winter scene.  Am I correct or am I missing something?

Rod

Hi Wulf,

That is intended for performance reasons. 3D snow uses almost as many polygons as the buildings they cover so I kept it limited to the airfield. It was mentioned previously though so I can look into adding some snow in a service pack and putting it on a control panel toggle as well.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Wulf,

That is intended for performance reasons. 3D snow uses almost as many polygons as the buildings they cover so I kept it limited to the airfield. It was mentioned previously though so I can look into adding some snow in a service pack and putting it on a control panel toggle as well.

Cheers,

Alex

Good idea, Alex. Thanks.

Wulf

check the roofs of the airfield buildings with the option on and off ;)

Thanks, Wolter.  I see the roofs changing.  But I didn't notice it before because of the vegetation change. 

Here is picture with 3D snow on:

3D%20Snow%20On.jpg?dl=0

Here is screenshot with 3D snow off:

3D%20Snow%20off.jpg?dl=0

Note the difference in the size of the vegetation.

Rod

Hey Rod,

That is a strange one, does the autogen disappear anywhere else after the switch, or just that location? It looks like only the large Douglas Fir variants are disappearing as well. Since you're using Prepar3D, do the trees come back if you pause the sim for a minute or refresh the scenery library? I've noticed that occasionally all autogen or a few variants will fail to load immediately in Prepar3D. It's usually solved by waiting a second or reloading the scenery library. 

Hi Alex,

The 3D snow was a smoke screen for me since I was playing with that at the time.  It has nothing to do with the Control Panel settings.  P3D only draws the autogen at too small of a scale at PAHO when you start P3D and go directly to PAHO's runways/parking spots.   At that point, anything that initiates a redraw including moving further away, flying into the airport or jumping to PAHO from another location or just doing a refresh resets the scale of the autogen and it is fine after that unless you do another P3D restart and do it again.  So this is a minor nit that will probably not bother anyone and it was just luck that I compared identical photos of the airport or I wouldn't have noticed it either. 

But, is it a P3D bug?  Well, in trying to provide data on that question, I jumped into two other airports after restarting P3D each time.  One airport was ORBX W52 runway 15 which is lined with large autogen foliage.  The other one was a photoreal airport that I have recently created and annotated with dense autogen of Douglas Firs and Norway Spruces that are very tight to both sides of the runway.   In both cases there was no scale rendering problem with the foliage.  So who knows?

Bottom line, I am happy that I now understand the anomaly and it will not bother me in the future.  Thanks for your interaction and the wonderful rendering of the Homer area.

Rod  

Archived