Rex.

Dadtom65

Try Opus free demo if you like real world weather and there are sets off free cloudtextures to try, google for "Oscar clouds", I did have REX on my previous set up but was never happy with it . Run OpusFSI now for about 2 years and FEX textures for clouds, water and wave animations. FSX weather now looks exactly the same as looking out my window.

Herman

I'm gonna watch this thread closely.  I currently have REX2  but never really felt the need to upgrade since I've been happy with my environment textures.  I just bought REX Soft Clouds and now I hear all the buzz is around integrating REX Soft Clouds with REX4.  I'm now wondering if it's worth the extra money to purchase REX4.  I really enjoy everyone's opinions here because it seems as though you get the "good, the bad, and the ugly" which is what I'd love to hear before spending more money.

Gary

Hi,

I own REX3, REX4 and soft clouds, also I own 3 weather engines, OPUS FSI , REX , and ASN.

Any of the REX products are really amazing and I Highly recommend any of them!

As for which weather engine to use, right now I am very happy with ASN and use it as my main engine but all three that I mentioned are very very good and are always being updated.

I would say, get REX4 and soft clouds with ASN for weather, this combo , for me anyway, was a real game changer!

Hope this helps!

Hi Ziggy. What's this ASN I keep hearing about. Have come across it before in some ones post. Cheers Derek.

It's Active Sky Next, a really great weather engine that also comes with a great weather radar gauge you can install for all of your planes, great if you use a second screen for gauges, gps, ect. It's very easy to set up.

Don't hesitate to check out OPUS, FS Global weather and REX OD (comes with weather engine)

They are all great!

I personally like that ASN allows you to set more cloud,visibility and turbulence options in its setup, when you fly over a rugged terrain ASN simulates the turbulence better than the rest I feel, that is my favorite feature because I fly low and slow VFR mostly.

Hope this helps!

I am using Rex Plus Overdrive for their very nice textures (a must have, or Rex 4) and ASN (Active Sky Next) as the weather engine. Rex Plus Overdrive have it's own weather engine and I used it for 1 year, but switched to ASN last month. Cloud transitions and real weather are much better with ASN now. No more clouds popping as weather is updating (just this one was a show stopper for me) and winds effects are now very real.

To have real nice weather in the sim, we need 2 items :

1. Textures (clouds, sky, sun etc)

2. Weather engine (the way the textures wiil be injected in the sim)

As for textures, Rex is the number one. They have different packages and not only the basic textures are included but also some others as runway, taxiway, water textures, etc. A weather engine was also included in the previous version i.e. Rex Plus Overdrive (Rex OD) but not in the new Rex 4. Rex 4 is now only texture sets and also the new Rex Soft Clouds. They will release a new weather engine shortly.

As for the weather engine, ASN, Opus and FSWG are the most used as well as Rex OD included engine.

Do a web search with those names and put "review" and you will find a lot of information about all those great addons.

Hi,

I own REX3, REX4 and soft clouds, also I own 3 weather engines, OPUS FSI , REX , and ASN.

Any of the REX products are really amazing and I Highly recommend any of them!

As for which weather engine to use, right now I am very happy with ASN and use it as my main engine but all three that I mentioned are very very good and are always being updated.

I would say, get REX4 and soft clouds with ASN for weather, this combo , for me anyway, was a real game changer!

Hope this helps!

Ziggy,

Thanks for the suggestion and push to get it!  I bought REX4 Direct Tex and you're correct!!  What a game changer!  I had picked up REX Soft clouds when it was released so it's definitely an awesome combo!  The only slight criticism I have is the water textures.  I'm running DX10 so I had to do searches on the net to find the right combo.  I've always used Striking Software FS Water configurator  in the past and had to go back to it.  Nothing out there comes close to their water textures. Anyhow, thanks again for the suggestion!! O0

Nothing out there comes close to their water textures. Anyhow, thanks again for the suggestion!! O0

FSWC is a shader program, not a texture utility, however, we highly recommend using it with our program!

Cheers, and thanks for the support folks! :)

Hi All, thank you every body for your help. I did download the free Opus program but put it into a folder on its own. It did not say where to put it. I guess it should go into FSX, is this correct. Again thanks for the replies. Derek.

Hi All, thank you every body for your help. I did download the free Opus program but put it into a folder on its own. It did not say where to put it. I guess it should go into FSX, is this correct. Again thanks for the replies. Derek.

Hi Derek,

FSrealWX Pro is also a free weather engine and I really enjoy it a lot. ( I never realized Opus was free but I already have EZDok so felt I didn't need to spend money on features I had). While I'm not familiar with Opus most of these weather programs typically go into their own folders.  Once you start the weather pro and keep it running in the background it generally uses simconnect to connect to FSX and then import the weather into it.

Another great feature of ASN is the historic weather: you can set any date and time from the past you want using ASN and FSX/P3D will use that weather. You can also let ASN automatically use the date and time you pick in FSX/P3D. I like this feature because I like flying in Norway but I don't like flying above snow and with winter weather all winter. ;)

Hi Dadtom, Opus is supposed to go into a folder of its own, after install just click the configure button and point it to FSX or P3D wich ever you have, you will also find that the Opus guys are really helpful with problems, guaranteed an answer within 15 minutes or Stephen should be a sleep although everybody seems to think that he doesn't sleep, you can also start Opus automatic when you start FSX, look into the manual how to do that and then uncheck " disable weather update on start up" an it is a set and forget thing, in fsx you can check the weather reports  with METARS and TAFS for your whole flight and destination since it even imports your FSX flight plan and processes it while you do your preflight checks and in Windowed mode you can even see a map with your airplane and all AI traffic with their elevation and directions.

Hope this helps you some, Herman

Hi Electricman. Thanks for that though having second thoughts about Opus, And Ziggy Opus is not free, it was just the demo I downloaded. Think I might go for the Rex with overdrive and maybe the soft clouds as well. Thanks to you all for your help. Derek.

And Ziggy Opus is not free, it was just the demo I downloaded.

Hi Derek,

Just wanted to clarify, I didn't suggest that OPUS was "free", I certainly hope I didn't somehow give that impression.

Don't forget to check out the ASN (Active Sky Next) Demo as well, I think it will definitely impress you.

Hope this helps!

Archived