How to texture a low poly model and still make it look nice?

Mac_Maddog88

As some of you may have seen, I'm retexturing the Leonardo Maddog cockpit. The modeling is just old though. No matter what textures I put on there, it just doesn't hold up due to the FS2004-esque modeling. I'm using a 2048x2048 texture sheet and the textures come out appearing at a low resolution.

ORBX designers, please, is there any trick to getting nice fancy textures to look and fit good on low poly models? At this point, I'm considering whether this project is worth continuing, the outdated modeling just has me stumped!

One trick that is used these days that really adds depth, is "Ambient Oclusion"... translated into real english, it basically means shadow and highlighting that is painted onto the textures so it's always present (Some people refer to it as "baked in shadows".

It has the advantage of not requiring any additional geometry, just textures, but it can be a bit time consuming if doing it by hand... it really can make a big difference though if done right...

One trick that is used these days that really adds depth, is "Ambient Oclusion"... translated into real english, it basically means shadow and highlighting that is painted onto the textures so it's always present (Some people refer to it as "baked in shadows".

It has the advantage of not requiring any additional geometry, just textures, but it can be a bit time consuming if doing it by hand... it really can make a big difference though if done right...

Is there any tutorial on that?

I've tried to add some look of geometry to it, but it just goes out the window due to the inconsistency of the models. One lever that would be cylindrical in a newer aircraft is an octagon or hexagon due to that time period's modeling, so it is hard to tell where exactly to paint on lighting and shadows. 

Really wish Coolsky would make a new MD80 with MCPhat. Flying the maddog is fun but the graphics just manage to take away from it.

Another question, when I don't have many real world photos of a cockpit, how do I go about texturing? Do I just continue drawing them by hand, or is there a necessity to get real world photos I can manipulate onto the model?

Archived