Elevated runway Stuart Island 2WAS

Double J

The runway is floating about 10 feet above the ground.  Running.. FTX Global and PNW no vector and no other mesh, current library installed.

I was flying around here yesterday and thought it looked a little bland, I checked FTX central and I was in North America and PNW was checked...but it wasn't loaded into FSX. Checked it today and all was loaded but landing at this airport leaves this result.

2015-1-19_13-26-14-143.png2015-1-19_13-29-5-792.png2015-1-19_13-26-57-33.png

set the mesh res to 5 mtr

I forgot to include that in my post. I try to include every possible thing but I always forget one. ::)

It is set to 5.

I also have the same issue with 7WA5, WA09,Orcas KORS. Never flew in here before so I have no idea if this is just a new issue or it's always been there.

I reselected North America in FTX Central and it fixed the elevated runways.

Seems as though my FTX Central doesn't want to change properly

But why do the surrounding hills now  look like something from FS 3? Is this normal?

2015-1-19_14-22-45-572.png2015-1-19_14-22-39-931.png

Hi there,

I'm not seeing anything wrong on your screenshots. What do you think isn't displaying or loading correctly? 

As for the restore.bat error that happens from time to time for some users (including myself) but doesn't have any technical consequence; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/88280-access-to-the-path-orbxscriptsbackuprestorebat-is-denied/

Cheers, Holger

Heya DJ, 

This has been happening to me for months, but there is a workaround.

First, change your region as you desire. You will get the exception error and will have to cancel FTX Central. Now, take a short flight *anywhere* in the region. You will observe what I call "limbo-land", or land of the dead, that appears like some of your screenshots.

End your flight, end FSX (it happens to me with P3D V1.4 and 2.4), and restart FTX Central. Re-select your desired region and apply. You should not receive an error message this time and things should end normally. 

Take another flight. Now observe that there is a *second* database build message, which appears to finalize the Orbx installation. You should be good to go now. Like I said, this has been happening to me for quite some time, and I just know to run FTX Central twice.

I am really looking forward to the new and improved FTX Central that is supposed to keep track of updates, kind of like what GEX or Earth Simulations (Rest in Peace) does for its various regions.

Good luck!

John

Hi there,

I'm not seeing anything wrong on your screenshots. What do you think isn't displaying or loading correctly? 

As for the restore.bat error that happens from time to time for some users (including myself) but doesn't have any technical consequence; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/88280-access-to-the-path-orbxscriptsbackuprestorebat-is-denied/

Cheers, Holger

It's as if my scenery has reverted to default. All the small hills have points and edges not just these locations but everywhere.. Do you think post 7 looks normal?  That's an FTX region with FTX Global Stuart Island 2WAS. As I mentioned I have had problems with FTX Central switching from FTX Global and North America. I have flown from SFO to Anchorage only to find upon arrival SAK is not activated. This weekend I flew from NCAL to Concrete in PNW to find once again the region was not activated even though North America checked in Central. 

Heya DJ, 

This has been happening to me for months, but there is a workaround.

First, change your region as you desire. You will get the exception error and will have to cancel FTX Central. Now, take a short flight *anywhere* in the region. You will observe what I call "limbo-land", or land of the dead, that appears like some of your screenshots.

End your flight, end FSX (it happens to me with P3D V1.4 and 2.4), and restart FTX Central. Re-select your desired region and apply. You should not receive an error message this time and things should end normally. 

Take another flight. Now observe that there is a *second* database build message, which appears to finalize the Orbx installation. You should be good to go now. Like I said, this has been happening to me for quite some time, and I just know to run FTX Central twice.

I am really looking forward to the new and improved FTX Central that is supposed to keep track of updates, kind of like what GEX or Earth Simulations (Rest in Peace) does for its various regions.

Good luck!

John

I've had that error in the past and it hasn't been an issue but now I'm certain there is a scenery/mesh problem somewhere. I've been flipping FTX Central back and fourt for the last 24 hrs. I'm still stuck in FSX default hell...lol

Hi guys,

the triangular shapes and edges show up because that's how FSX generates its ground surface: converting the raster grid elevation points into a "wire mesh" of nested triangles onto which the ground textures get draped (see screenshot from Joachim Buhre below). It's more obvious in areas where flattened features, like runways and waterbodies, are located next to steep slopes and especially in winter with its low-contrast (snow-covered) textures and stronger terrain shadowing. In short, the terrain in your screenshots is showing correctly.

John, I've never experienced an issue with "limbo-land" as you describe after the restore.bat error. Instead, I simply close down FTX Central and then run it again right away; the error never happens twice, presumably because it's some temporary access restriction to restore.bat that gets released when restarting FTX Central.

Cheers, Holger 

post-375-0-69941200-1421774316_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

FTX Central switches files, it doesn't place airports or textures. In any case anytime you see a problem like that you're likely dealing with a conflict with another airport file (or a missing/inactive elevation adjustment file). The best approach is to run a Windows search of your entire FSX folder tree (including any external scenery locations you may have) for .bgl files that include the airport's ICAO as part of their names, then post the results with full file and folder names here (you can take screenshots of the results window). FYI, Stuart Island is 2WA3 not 2WAS.

Cheers, Holger

Look for "ADE_FTX_PNW_2WA3_elevation_adjustment_VicPlus.BGL" in your Scenery/World/Scenery folder. If the file extension is set to ".OFF" rename it back to ".BGL". Sometimes the file names do not switch properly. FSX does not have a snowy dirt/grass runway texture by default. Since the release of PNW grass airfields have not used the standard dirt/grass runway to avoid this very issue.

Here is a screenshot of 2WA3 in hard winter with FTX Central set to North America for reference:

8uF76uz.jpg

Look for "ADE_FTX_PNW_2WA3_elevation_adjustment_VicPlus.BGL" in your Scenery/World/Scenery folder. If the file extension is set to ".OFF" rename it back to ".BGL". Sometimes the file names do not switch properly. FSX does not have a snowy dirt/grass runway texture by default. Since the release of PNW grass airfields have not used the standard dirt/grass runway to avoid this very issue.

Here is a screenshot of 2WA3 in hard winter with FTX Central set to North America for reference:

8uF76uz.jpg

Switched it back to .BGL just about every file in that folder is switched to OFF..should they be?

It depends on what mode you are in. If FTX Central is set to North America they should all be .BGL for PNW and the other NA regions. If it is set to Global w/ hybrid then every one should be .BGL. If hybrid is not set then all of them will be .OFF

It depends on what mode you are in. If FTX Central is set to North America they should all be .BGL for PNW and the other NA regions. If it is set to Global w/ hybrid then every one should be .BGL. If hybrid is not set then all of them will be .OFF

Thankyou. I was just in North America when I first checked the extension and they were all set to OFF. I just switched to Global and now they are still OFF. Hybrid, they are back to BGL.

Archived