Flying for real in Iceland

JamesIceland

Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough just before Christmas to fly a real aircraft for the very first time. 

The video is of that flight which took place on 20th December 2014 at about 1pm - yes, that is the midday sun! We departed Keflavik Airport (BIKF) on a beautiful crisp day and flew east over the Reykjanes peninsula. The aircraft is a Diamond DA40, which I actually use for some of my Iceland sim flights (although the real one had a G1000). 

Before the flight the instructor, Arnar, had asked if I had any flying experience and I explained I was an armchair pilot. He seemed happy enough with this and as a result I flew from takeoff to touchdown - which was brave of him! We even did a simulated ILS into RWY02 which he'd never done with anyone on their first lesson - apart from a bit of rudder and throttle help I was pretty chuffed.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the video - having flown the scenery for real, I have to say I am blown away at how accurate the Orbx layers are - unbelievable! The good news is I have another flight booked for the summer when I head back and I will now be working towards a PPL longer term. I'm hooked!

James

>http://youtu.be/eOoJA-DiqZ8

Hello James

What a wonderful experience and one that I am sure you will want to repeat as soon as possible. My first flight, hands on, was over the Solway Firth in Scotland for my 50th Birthday and I will never forget the experience.

Many thanks for sharing this

Kind regards

Ian

Archived