New EU VAT-regulation is coming in 2015

Frankie_2

"On 1 January 2015, a new EU ruling concerning value-added tax (VAT) on telecommunications, broadcasting & electronic services comes into force. It should ensure more fairness in the EU-wide VAT distribution but tremendously affects small one-man-businesses or startups as they commonly exist in the flightsim community. Francois Dumas effectively closed his FSAddon online store yesterday facing the expenditure connected with the new regulation. What you need to know about regulation number 1042 /2013 can be found over at flusinews.de".

Ok, Orbx is not really affected as they are AU business and also sell via FSS (AU business as well), but I guess this might be interesting for some guys over here...

Always after more money as the situation gets worse by the minute, trouble is no jobs, no prospects for millions in the EU due to this downturn which lots of knowledgeable people say will never come to an end until the fiat money system crashes and burns. This means lots of small EU businesses will be shutting their doors, but what do the powers that be care as long as they get their undeserved cut of the ever dwindling supply of currency.

I don´t really see the problem. The only thing that changes is that the seller has to pay the VAT to the country where the buyer lives not to the country where he has his business. That affects ONLY countriers in the EU. The BUYER has to pay the VAT to the seller (same as now) and the seller now has to send the VAT to the tax people in the buyers home contry instead of paying this tax in his own country. Yes for the BUYER it might be a little bit more expensive, but for the seller it makes no difference, it´s still the BUYER who pays the VAT.

I don´t really see the problem. The only thing that changes is that the seller has to pay the VAT to the country where the buyer lives not to the country where he has his business. That affects ONLY countriers in the EU. The BUYER has to pay the VAT to the seller (same as now) and the seller now has to send the VAT to the tax people in the buyers home contry instead of paying this tax in his own country. Yes for the BUYER it might be a little bit more expensive, but for the seller it makes no difference, it´s still the BUYER who pays the VAT.

You've clearly never run a small business if you think having to make vat returns to 30 different countries is no big deal.

You've clearly never run a small business if you think having to make vat returns to 30 different countries is no big deal.

I don't think that the seller has to transfer the VAT to the different countries by himself. I guess this will be done by the tax departements where the seller lives and pay the tax. A tax consultant should be able to clear this or a question at the tax departement will give the right answer.

Spirit

The problem is more that you as a seller have to save data for 10 years and your tax return is going to very complex and tome consuming. AND you need to establish a checkout system which charges the correct VAT rate based on the IP-adress or so.

Luckily, there's http://www.taxamo.com/which should help some guys out.

And yes, the tax department will forward the VAT income to other EU-members.

Archived