A 64 bit Question

simdown42

Hi Merry Christmas to everyone

Would someone please clarify for me. I've read in forums speculation and discussion regarding Steam FSX or perhaps P3D sometime in the future maybe going 64bit. If this actually happens someday does this mean my present substantial investment in FSX addons, ORBX, Aerosoft, PMDG, etc will be useless or can they be converted somehow?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Cheers

simdown42

well, nobody could really clarify it for you, since it would be all speculation until it happens, but essentially, any program or .dll would need to be recompiled to work in a 64 bit environment.  scenery and textures would probably work ok, but guages, executable programs, and things like orbx's "flows" would need to be redone.  It's all do-able stuff,  but the developers would need to do it, and some would want to, and some just won't.

one of my other hobbies is audio recording, and I am now running 64 bit only on my recording software and plugins.  it took probably 4 years for the various developers of plugin software to update to 64 bit, and while most things have been done at this point,  there are still a few plugins that I own in 32 bit that are never going to be updated.   Interestingly,  there are some bit bridge applications in some audio software that can allow 32 bit dlls to run inside a 64 bit host program, but such things can be buggy and ruin the performance advantages of having 64 bit in the first place.

but on the upside, OOM errors would immediately be a thing of the past and it would open the floodgates to having a sim experience many times better down the road.

Hey SD

Shawn said it all but don't hold your breath as a 64bit version of FSX will not happen and is still very much hypothetical for P3D ! So go and get all the goodies now :)

Also, 64bit may solve the OOM but is not going to be a panacea : better coding to really take advantage of multiprocessors  (P3D is a step into the right direction, re : GPU vs. CPU) and more powerful CPU and GPU are needed to better our flight experience. 

Many Thanks Everyone

ShawnG I also record 64bit audio and have bridged a couple of 32bit programs to 64bit with reasonable success using a program called JBridge.

Funny enough I was already speculating whether this program would work with 32bit flight sim programs if the 64bit thing happened. Food for future thought. I'll enjoy the now. ^-^

Cheers

simdown42

Interesting discussion.  I presently run the 64 bit version of Windows.  All of the present flight sim software that I have (Orbx, P3D, etc.) are written in 32 bit code and, obviously, work just fine.  So, it would seem that there could/would be a means to write the 64 bit code to allow both 64 bit and 32 bit programs to work.  I would expect the 32 bit programs would not be able to take full benefit of the 64 bit structure.  Therefore, one would not expect to see performance different than we see now.  

Not a programmer, so fire away........Danny

I think it is safe to say that FSX will never see 64 bit.  As for P3Dvxxx maybe but everything will require some modification.  Vintage aircraft probably will never see an upgrade.  Current developers will have a massive job to make the conversion...just look at the time it takes just to be compatible with P3D's upgrades.  I would suspect that developers would start fresh with new offerings and then convert existing software based on popularity.  I think anything on the 64bit platform is a ways away, so enjoy what we have and buy what you like.

Henry

Archived