Not many Buildings [FTX ENG, WLS]

Woodrow

Hi Everyone.  Hope this finds you all well.  My first post so forgive me if all not well.

I fly for a VA which mainly means up high.  However we now have a VFR club which I have joined. As I'm learning I watch a lot of youtube and most people have FTX installed.  As you can see I have all the UK as well as the 3 must packages.  My question is that how much Autogen should I see when flying at 2000ft.  I have all my settings at Extreme and have consulted the ORBX manuals until my mouse battery has run out.  An example of a flight was from the Brecon Beacons in Wales to Swindon in England.  Its around 120 miles.  In that distance I saw roughly 14 Buildings above ground.  Most Youtube flyers have loads of buildings coming out of the ground especially around towns.  I live in Essex and can fly into London and don't see a building rising from the ground until the Olympic Park and Canary Wharf.  As a positive I see lots of trees which makes me think all the software installed correctly.  

Really hoping someone can help me with this and I'll leave a beer behind the bar for whoever can.  Sorry for the long note but I wanted to give as much info as possible

Mark

Hi Wooders. Whilst I'm not qualified to assist with your issue, a quick screenshot over Swindon does reveal buildings! And quite a few considering my sliders are merely set to 'dense'.

The buildings you mention in and around London are 'scenery objects' as opposed to 'autogen' and I suspect the 14 buildings you saw en-route from the Brecon Beacons to Swindon might also have been. Its the autogen buildings you are probably missing, so why you should have autogen trees but no houses is beyond my limited scope! You didn't go messing with the 'buildings per cell' settings in your terrain.cfg when you were a 'high flyer' did you?

Anyway, hopefully someone can help you out, but in the meantime, the shots below should give you an idea of what Swindon should look like, low n slow.

re3Uo.jpg

2iPrq.jpg

Thanks for the reply Mike. Much appreciated. I'm not seeing any buildings like that at all. And I've no idea what you mention about the terrain.cfg :)). Do you think I should try reinstall all of my scenery from ORBX. I tried the Iceland demo which got me into ORBX and I don't see many buildings there either. If it wasn't for the videos I watched regarding VFR I wouldn't be no wiser. Any ideas Mike or anyone else.

Make my Christmas wonderful.

Hi Woodrow

Have you installed the latest ORBX Libs files after installing all the UK packages? I think much of the autogen is contained in those. Sometimes it helps to cycle the regions a couple of times in FTX Central after installing too - like change to default, then to EU a couple of times.

Latest Libs can be found here: https://www.fullterrain.com/support Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose the right version for your sim.

Hope that helps.

Stu.

Hi Mark,

While we wait for staff assistance, advice above regarding Photo Scenery is a good place to start, Photo Scenery has a habit of excluding AutoGen.

Could you provide some pictures of what you see, info here how to do this: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/45944-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Please do a sweep of your FSX folders for remaining PhotoScenery for your problem region and disable it temporarily for test purposes if any is found.

Also could you provide some system specs for your rig and FSX >Settings> Display> Scenery .

Hi Jeff & Stufer, I've checked that all updates are current and they are. The below picture is of Brighton on the South Coast of England. As you can see lots of trees but only one building. Even the famous Brighton Pier looks older than its 120 years.

My rig is

i7 @ 3.40 GHz

32gig Ram

NVidea GeForce GTX 680MX with 2Gig of RAM

Pulling my hair out now. :(

Hi Mark,

I think you have to install again FTX England. Once done, cycle between FTX Global hybrid and Europe mode into FTX Central.

Make a flight and tell us if it's fine. if not please, post some sceenshots.

Before you re-install, it might be worth taking a deep breath.

Lets recap your situation. You ARE getting autogen trees, but not autogen buildings...so, we can disregard the advice about some photoscenery tiles lurking in a dusty folder, yes? The reasoning is sound of course, but photoscenery would obliterate ALL autogen, and not just the houses.

The latest Libraries? Well, yes, okay. They have been my salvation many a time in the past, but your issue sounds kinda unique.

Every building you have named as being visible thus far has been a custom scenery object, and that's an altogether different slider. The 'autogen' slider doesn't differentiate between trees and houses, so something else is occurring here.

You have the Baltics demo installed, and the problem is the same there, so a re-install of FTX England isn't going to be a cure.

I believe (I've not messed with it myself) that the terrain.cfg does differentiate between autogen buildings and trees, as I recall various posts suggesting edits to cut down on vegetation, but not at the expense of the buildings.

Your 'fix' might be as simple as letting FSX rebuild a terrain.cfg, but DON'T delete your original on MY say so, because I'm a self confessed idiot. Wait until Wolter jumps in with some sounder advice. Mind you, the Dutch celebrate Crimbo a little earlier than we do, so he might be into his Orangeboom stash by now >:D . Actually, they celebrate on the 5th I think (its been a long time!) ???

You COULD safely delete your FSX.cfg from within the 'appdata roaming' folder, because that's a fairly routine move, but I'd be more surprised than you were it to actually work.

Look on the bright side though..your FPS should be pretty good! 8)

Full reinstall..I might be tackling one of those little blighters myself over the holidays. Nothing wrong with my FSX install as such, but having just got the European OpenLC I might dispense with the regions I have, saving a bit of space on the ole HD in the process, and getting up high rather than tooling around the likes of Old Warden in the Alabeo Waco. I just got the PMDG 737-800 thinking I'd be ground bound due to low FPS and having resigned myself to sitting in the cockpit, on the apron, learning the systems, but hell no! She isn't as hungry as I'd first feared, so whilst you are going VFR, I'm gonna be getting up amongst the Stratocumulus! >:D

Norfolk Mike,

Brilliant post . Well at the monent I've deleted my entire windows drive and reinstalling it. I'll then install FSX and load on Global without Iceland Demo. I'll take it one stage at a time.

I've got close to 300 hrs up high for my VA so if you get stuck which I don't think you will PM me. It's the least I can do. Are you a member of Vatsim or IVAO. Nothing like virtual ATC. Hence why now I'm going low to enjoy the FTX scenery.

Archived