Upgrading GPU. Advice sought.

petehowell57

Hi folks

Asked this question on another forum, but had no replies, so thought I would ask my fellow simmers at ORBX.

I have an (antiquated ?) i7 920 running at just over 4GHz  together with a GTX 480.  I can't afford to change the processor/motherboard, but I am looking at upgrading the GTX 480.

I run DX10 and I wish to try P3D.

There are many (nearly new) 770's out there at the moment at reasonable prices, although I could afford a GTX 970..

Do you think the latter would be a good move for me, or would the present processor throttle any advantages?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Pete

If you want to move to P3D a better GPU would definitely help but I think that 1st gen I7 920 you have is almost 5 years old now. I'd be a bit nervous that the CPU would just become a bottleneck for something like a 970 and you'd be facing different problems.

Others with more knowledge here will hopefully be able to give you more complete advice.

Agree with the above, also a 770 is basically a 680 in an updated box so you may find a second hand 680 is even cheaper.

The foundation of your computer is the mobo / cpu so start here.

I imagine you could upgrade to a second hand sandy / ivy bridge i5 (k) pretty cheaply.

Archived