FSX crashing/freezing on "long" flights

shortspecialbus

Hi,

I've recently been doing some longer cross-country flights in Australia.  I tend to get a complete system freeze on flights over an hour or two.  I had FSX freeze the entire computer while in the F1 Mustang on approach from YSCH to YMML, and I just now had FSX freeze the system in the same way while in the Aerosoft Beaver about 50nm south of Wagga Wagga.  Those being the only two flights I've done in Australia that were longer than a 1/2 hour to 45 minute jaunt between nearby airfields, I so far have a 0% success rate on these :(

I can't get any crash/debug information because the computer simply freezes to all keystrokes. 

Addons in effect for these flights:

Aircraft (Mustang in one case, Beaver in another)

MyTraffic X 5.2

ASA

FTX all regions, YMML and YSCH

FEX

FSGenesis Mesh

OZx Airports

FSUIPC

Other addons that are installed but either not used or not really applicable in Australia:

Assortment of planes (PMDG, LDS, etc, lots more)

GEX NA

UTX (America, Canada, Europe)

FSGenesis USLC

SceneryTech Europe LC

RCv4.3 (wasn't in use either time)

FSPassengersX (wasn't in use either time)

FlyTampa TNCM

Probably other crap that I'm forgetting.

I haven't had these problems in any other region, really ever.  Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks,

-stefan

Edit: I always forget this:

System:

E8400 @3.94ghz (Stable, verified via 48 hours straight in Prime95)

4GB Mushkin 7-7-6-18 DDR3

MSI GeForce GTX 260

Audigy 4 Soundcard

XP 64 bit

All CH Hardware

Stefan,

Random crashes make it very difficult to determine where the fault lies, however I too would be suspecting overclock issues - with the memory being my first choice. Whilst Prime does stress the machine, I would also be testing with the intelburntest application. It seems to stress the CPU and memory more than Prime does. I found my memory overclock was unable to pass IBT even though Prime showed it was ok. Make sure you have a good temp monitor when running IBT because the CPU can get hot, esp. on a high overclock like yours.

You may be able to ease the timings on the ram a bit too as you have them very tight.

Of course the easy way to test would be to reset the computer to default and run FSX to see if it still crashes. I find that FSX can cause memory errors even when it is not overstressing the CPU.

My memory isn't even overclocked though.  It's DDR3 1600 running at 1052, because I had to drop the memory multiplier to keep the northbridge stable.  So the memory is actually running less than the default 1067.  It isn't a memory or CPU issue. 

I will be happy to turn off the overclock and let it crash to prove a point, but trust me, the system is stable.  Also those are the rated RAM timings.

-stefan

My memory isn't even overclocked though.  It's DDR3 1600 running at 1052, because I had to drop the memory multiplier to keep the northbridge stable.  So the memory is actually running less than the default 1067.  It isn't a memory or CPU issue. 

I will be happy to turn off the overclock and let it crash to prove a point, but trust me, the system is stable.  Also those are the rated RAM timings.

-stefan

Hi stefan,

I have had my system checking out as OK on bench tests running for six hours, but still crashing on FTX. In this particular case I simply uninstalled/reinstalled the same drivers, which cured my particular problem. Another of my friends with a similar problem changed his keyboard and mouse, which cured his - with computers it appears as if a good approach is a systematic process of elimination - taking the pick as to what system to adopt and the order in which to do it.  ;)

Stefan,

Bottom line.....Drop your overclocking and try a long flight again!

I know the system may be stable but you cannot effectively solve a problem until you have ruled out possible problematic factors, and overclocking is one of those factors. So remove it and try again, if the problem still persists, then i would try removing one RAM module at a time and re-trying to determine a bad module. Also drop any overclocking on the GPU (just for test purposes)

Russ.

Archived