Advise on improving fps?

akmatov

Running Orbx, Active Sky Next with REX4 Textures and a nice a/c the fps is distinctly lower.  Don't know what is causing it specifically but it is now into the 15 - 20 range depending.  CPU and RAM usage rarely is especially high.  I know this is a thoroughly over-

plowed field but any suggestions on places to start would be great.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Ok William this May seem slightly off subject but not entirely , but having visited the above link my simming has changed so much. First off if you follow the above you need to be prepared to set aside at least a day and a half. Implement 90% and I'm confident your experience will improve depending what you have installed software and hardware wise. You already have the hardware so the software tweaking is of more interest. For me (after quite a few hours of juggling family time and me time) my sim is a new beast! Be prepared to delve into your operating system and make countless changes. This Nick guru is A guru. If you have the time and patience to follow his steps your experience in Orbx and elsewhere should improve. I followed the Windows modifications, completely killed my old cfg, let fsx build a new one, applied the must do cfg tweaks, tweaked the cfg a FRACTION and WOW! I can only speak of my own experience but having followed other guys tweaks with disappointing results this has so far been the best bang for buck :)

What's the load on your GPU?  Spirit

Wow!

I had never checked until you asked and I was startled to see that from sitting on the runway to flying over the ocean, @15 - 30 fps, my rig was running a 100% CPU load.  My system has a 4 core 3.2 GHz AMD Phenom II with 8 GB of RAM.  Not new, but seems able to run anything I want.  I do think I better start monitoring CPU temp now

Wow!

I had never checked until you asked and I was startled to see that from sitting on the runway to flying over the ocean, @15 - 30 fps, my rig was running a 100% CPU load.  My system has a 4 core 3.2 GHz AMD Phenom II with 8 GB of RAM.  Not new, but seems able to run anything I want.  I do think I better start monitoring CPU temp now

Hi, the best way to increase your fps is to low a bit your graphic settings in the simulator. Your cpu can't obtain great performances with very high settings, neither if you play with your FSX.cfg.

My rig too, with two cores, works always 100% CPU usage with FSX and i keep medium settings, sometimes medium-high but depending on the area where i fly.

You are ofc correct Mauirzio.  What I quoted was with everything in all programs set to max.  And although I want max graphic joy, otherwise why would I be here at Orbx :), until I can mange a machine with ridiculous specs that is the first and easiest approach.

Thx Boetie for the link.  This looks like it is going to be a project, however no pain, no gain.  :)

Archived